FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Klezmer Mountain Boys

Author Topic: The Klezmer Mountain Boys
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to a terrific concert tonight! I finally got to see The Klezmer Mountain Boys in concert. They do Klezmer music and Bluegrass music all kind of jumbled up together, weaving back and forth from one to the other. Klezmer and bluegrass are just about my favorite music to listen to, and I've been trying to get to see them in concert for over a year. This group makes the fusing of styles seem as natural as peanut butter and chocolate joining forces in a Reese's Cup.

If they ever come to your town, look them up for a fun evening.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Embarrassed] Klezmer and bluegrass? That is so cool. I want to hear them!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you can:
http://www.klezmermountainboys.com/hear-us.htm

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I can after I'm sure that the monst-- I mean, Princess is soundly out for the night.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't play it. What kind of player do I need?
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Realplayer. VLC could likely handle it, too.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Is clarinet common in that genre? BTW, what is Klezmer music?
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Clarinet is pretty common in Klezmer. It is like European Jewish Jazz. Some of it sounds an awful lot like Dixieland. Wikipedia has an entry on Klezmer music.
Minerva
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Minerva           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for iTunes. ketchupqueen, it's completely family-safe. Your daughter might even like dancing to it.
Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm.... Maybe I should learn Klezmer music. It will give me something to do with my rusting clarinet.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
ketchupqueen, it's completely family-safe. Your daughter might even like dancing to it.
Oh, I'm sure she will-- she loves klezmer and bluegrass, both.

But she was trying to sleep last night. [Wink]

I went to sleep, myself. I'm going to go listen now.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

This sounds really familiar. (And awesome!) I wonder if they were ever on "A Prairie Home Companion." *goes to check*
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Nope, apparently not.

I must just be thinking of some other klezmer group that was on and jammed during the Powdermilk Biscuit Break or something.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.