FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Chumscrubber

Author Topic: The Chumscrubber
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else seen this movie? I had never heard of it until it was recommended by Netflix based on other movies I'd liked.

It was actually a very good movie with an amazing cast. It was strange, and I can see why it didn't (I assume) get much of a release. It's listed as a Comedy/Drama, but it's not particularly funny per se. It's more high satire about life in suburbia. The "comedy" would be funny, except the characters seem too real to be laughed at politely.

The plot was interesting. The acting was excellent. The characters were believable. But the film had a surreal quality to it in that what was going on and what was being said was perfectly clear, but it wasn't at all clear (to me at least) how the director expected you to feel about it. I still haven't decided if that is a weakness or a strength of the film. It bothered me a bit at first, but once I got into the story I ended up liking the movie very much. I still think it would be completely out of place on a comedy shelf, in much the same way Donnie Darko would be out of place in the "Sci-Fi" or "Thriller" sections.

It's a very hard movie to "sell", and I'm not really trying to do that here, though I'd recommend it to anyone for whom this post sounds intriguing rather than off-putting. I'd love to talk about it with someone else who's seen it, though. Anyone?

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm guessing the answer is "no".

So, second question: Anyone think this sounds like a movie they'd like to see? Of so, watch it and post here when you do. [Smile]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Never seen it, but it sounds interesting, and has quite the cast...

<adds to Netflix queue>

Edit:

quote:
It's more high satire about life in suburbia. The "comedy" would be funny, except the characters seem too real to be laughed at politely.
Now I definitely need to see it. This is definitely my kind of movie - except I'm nowhere near polite enough not to laugh uproariously.

[ January 23, 2006, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: erosomniac ]

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks interesting. I'll try to remember to pick it up next time I'm renting movies. That might not be for a while, though.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd read the cover at Blockbuster before, I think it sounds really interesting. Some day I'll see it and report back [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
This title sounds like something out of SpongeBob. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
i had to open this thread because i just saw this movie on the shelf at the video store tonight while i was renting The Brother's Grimm. funny, because i'd never of heard of it before today.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the previews for it on apple/quicktime back when it was coming out, and it looked just a little too esoteric for me to enjoy.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the reviewers didn't like it much, or anyway the ones I read. But I haven't ever let bad reviews stop me from seeing a film. And your description, KarlEd, makes it sound interesting. So, I'll probably be looking for this one when I go rent next time.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Swampjedi:
This title sounds like something out of SpongeBob. [Big Grin]

Yeah, I was looking for a ChumBucket thread for this to be a dobie of...
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.