FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Black KKK Member

Author Topic: Black KKK Member
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/columnists/leonard_pitts/13688506.htm

(Use BugMeNot to bypass login if you want to read it but don't want to register.)

quote:
And now, here's this week's episode of Great Moments In Black History.
The year is 1979. Carter is in office, disco is on the radio, and Ron Stallworth has just joined the Ku Klux Klan.
We are indebted to the Deseret Morning News of Salt Lake City for revealing this in an article earlier this month commemorating Stallworth's retirement from the Utah Department of Public Safety. Since then, the story has made MSNBC, the Canadian Broadcasting Company, and blogs from here to eternity.
And if you're wondering why the fuss, well ... it's not every day a black man becomes a Klansman.

quote:
Here's the kicker: After a year, Stallworth's Klan contact called with the news that he, too, was being reassigned. He asked Stallworth to lead the chapter ``because I had been a loyal and dedicated member.''
I don't know whether to chuckle or not. I mean, it's not funny that there are people out there with these views, but it is grimly ironic, at the very least, when they can't distinguish, over the telephone, between a white man and a (supposedly markedly inferior) black man.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
For a moment there I thought this was about that Dave Chappel skit (warning: use of "n" word and other offensive stuff).
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitsune
Member # 8290

- posted      Profile for Kitsune   Email Kitsune         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I thought of that too. The Dave Chappelle thing, I mean.

[Frown]

Posts: 147 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I never saw Dave Chappelle before.

Based on the link, it would seem that every skit of his is about racism. Is that an accurate assessment?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not 100% correct, but it's not much more than 1% incorrect. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Based on the link, it would seem that every skit of his is about racism. Is that an accurate assessment?
No, although many of his skits have racial humor tied in.

Other predominant themes are living with poverty, drugs and perverting social norms.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
[Sleep] <-- Me, watching comedy that is about racism, drugs, and perverting social norms.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.