FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » cookie recipes for quid and imogen

Author Topic: cookie recipes for quid and imogen
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it would be fun to post our recipes here for anyone to enjoy but especially quid and imogen (since they asked [Smile] )

Here's my Shortbread Cookie recipe

1 1/2 c margerine
1 1/4 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla or 1 tsp almond extract
3 c sifted flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

Cream margerine an sugar until it is light and fluffy (it will be almost white). Add flavoring adn blend. Gradually add sifted dry ingredients and blend well. Press through a cookie press on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 inutes. When they are cool, ice with the following frosting. (I press the cookies with the flower disc, it has a center dot with 5 lines around it) then I use a cake decorating tip to pipe a colored center usually pink or green.

Frosting:
1 lb powdered sugar (quid did you call it icing sugar in Canada?)
1/4 c butter

Blend until smooth. If it's too thick to push through a cake decorating tip, add 1 Tbsp of milk at a time until it's as thin as you'd like it. Add 1 tsp of vanilla or almond extract, as much color as desired. Spread on the center of the cookie.

*These are to me less work than regular cookies and they are so addicting. I take them everywhere and they are always the first thing gone. Enjoy.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Naniamo Bars
Ready In: 30 Minutes
Yields: 16 servings

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup white sugar
5 tablespoons unsweetened
cocoa powder
1 egg, beaten
1 3/4 cups graham cracker
crumbs
1 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup finely chopped
almonds (optional)

1/2 cup butter, softened
3 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons custard powder
2 cups confectioners' sugar

4 (1 ounce) squares semisweet
baking chocolate
2 teaspoons butter
DIRECTIONS:
1. In the top of a double boiler, combine 1/2 cup butter, white sugar and cocoa powder. Stir occasionally until melted and smooth. Beat in the egg, stirring until thick, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in the graham cracker crumbs, coconut and almonds (if you like). Press into the bottom of an ungreased 8x8 inch pan.
2. For the middle layer, cream together 1/2 cup butter, heavy cream and custard powder until light and fluffy. Mix in the confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread over the bottom layer in the pan. Chill to set.
3. While the second layer is chilling, melt the semisweet chocolate and 2 teaspoons butter together in the microwave or over low heat. Spread over the chilled bars. Let the chocolate set before cutting into squares.

**pudding can be substituted for the custard mix.

***this isn't the same recipe as was generously shared with me last fall but I couldn't find the recipe by searching and couldn't remember who shared it...sorry if I offended!

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
The Best peanut butter cookies ever

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla.

Combine all ingredients. Drop by spoon onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for ~ 10 minutes at 375°F (190°C). Allow to cool and then enjoy.

P.S. There is no mistake. This cookie recipe does not contain flour.

[ January 24, 2006, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Rabbit, you are likely to start a fire there. Didn't you leave out an ingredient?
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, I'll have to dig out my most excellent molasses cookie recipe.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemisia Tridentata:
Hey Rabbit, you are likely to start a fire there. Didn't you leave out an ingredient?

Nope, This recipe has no flour in it. Give it a try, you will be impressed.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooooh, you're so sweet, sweetbaboo!!!! Thanks!!!!!

Hey, a cookie recipe without flour? Excellent! I try to substitute rice flour for wheat flour whenever I can, but it changes the texture a bit and for some things, just doesn't work at all. (Wheat does bad things to me. [Big Grin] )

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll vouch for Rabbit's PB cookie recipe. It works, and it's GOOD. You can even leave out the vanilla, if you're so inclined (that's the way I learned it). [Smile]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

You can leave out the vanilla, but don't leave out the egg.

Quid, I'm gluten intolerant so I do lots of baking without wheat flour. If you are interested I'll try to compile some recipes. The peanutbuter cookie recipe also works with other nut butters although each one results in a different cookie texture.

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, I never thought of trying it with other nut butters!

I see cookies in my future. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

Tatiana's recipes from the exchange (also in the exchange thread) [Wink]

Famous Oatmeal Cookies

1.5 cups unsalted butter (three sticks)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
2 eggs
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups self rising flour
6 cups oats (1 of those cylindrical cardboard boxes) (don't get instant, quick, or minute oats, just plain old Quaker oats)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream butter, gradually add sugars, then eggs, water and vanilla. Beat until creamy, scraping down sides as required. Add flour slowly until well-mixed. Stir in oats. Dish with a medium-sized disher onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake about 12 minutes. Allow to cool before removing from the paper.

Chocolate muffins:

2 cups self-rising flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1.25 cups granulated sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, melted (1/2 cup)
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk (whole, not skim)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and cocoa powder, mix well, get any lumps out. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk sugar, butter, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla extract together until smooth. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients, pour in the wet ones. Mix together just until barely combined. Do not mix until smooth. Dish into buttered muffin pans with a medium-large disher. Cups should be full. Change oven temp to 400 degrees F when you put them in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until done. [Smile]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Quid, I'm gluten intolerant so I do lots of baking without wheat flour. If you are interested I'll try to compile some recipes.
Yes please!!!!!! I avoid wheat flour as much as possible and have done some experimenting with replacing wheat flour with rice, chickpea, kurrikan, and other flours. It's been... interesting. In some things, it makes absolutely no difference at all, but in others, it's not so great. And I'm just repeating myself...............
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
The Nanaimo Bar recipe was mine, and it was almost exactly like yours except mine doesn't call for cream in the middle layer--just butter, powdered sugar, and pudding mix.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
what's the texture like on those non-flour PB cookies?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I have done those peanut butter cookies and they are wonderful. The the texture is thin but chewy and you do need to be sure to mix in the sugar pretty well to keep them from getting gritty. I do that before adding the egg and the texture seemed better. They will crumble easily if you try to eat them while they are too hot (for those of you who are like me and just can't wait). They firm up once they cool a little though. Also I use crunchy peanut butter because I like the little chunks in them. YUMMY!
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm gluten intolerant so I do lots of baking without wheat flour. If you are interested I'll try to compile some recipes.
That'd be great if you could! My grandma has Celiac Sprue or something similar and I've suffered immense failures trying to prepare something palatable for her. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I just made The Rabbit's Peanut-Butter Cookies (as they shall henceforth and forever be known in my house) and I have to say:

O M G ! ! ! They are the most delicious peanut-butter cookies I've ever had, let alone made. I made a sextuple batch so I have some to take to work, some for Chris to take to work, some for the neighbors, and some to eat. We're awash in peanut-buttery goodness! [Big Grin]

Oh, I used Jiff Extra-Crunchy PB. I like the chunks, too. [Smile]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Cool! [Smile] I'm not fond of the traditional flour-based peanut butter cookies - I don't know why, they just don't really work for me. So I'm looking forward to trying Rabbit's recipe. Thanks for letting us know, KarlEd! [Smile]
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking as Imogen's husband, I'd just like to say how much I approve of this thread...
Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

*laughs* Of course you do. *pat pat* [ROFL]
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
And I haven't even made any yet... [Smile]

But we do have all the ingrediants for the peanut butter cookies. Hmmm.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I received an email telling me to post the recipe I used for the Cookie Exchange. I hope this is the thread.

Sour Cream Cookies

Cream together:
  • 1 C sour cream
  • 1/2 C shortening
  • 1 1/2 C sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 eggs

Sift together:
  • 2 3/4 C flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • Combine wet and dry and let sit overnight, or at least until very stiff.
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Drop about a tsp onto a greased cookie sheet. They don't spread much.
  • Bake for about 15 minutes, until a very very light brown and they're firm to the touch. They're better when they're moist.
  • When they've completely cooled, glaze the bottoms.
Glaze
  • 2 C powdered sugar
  • 6 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
Actually, I'm not all that sure if those ratios are correct. I do trial and error mainly. You want a thickish paste that you can easily brush onto the cookie, but not too thick or else it takes away from the cookie and not too thin or else it'll run into the middle of the cookie and get it all soggy. *I like to add food coloring.

And enjoy!

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I just remembered to mention: I tried Rabbit's peanut butter cookie recipe one night on a whim.

Soooo good. So simple, and so good. Especially crumbled over chocolate ice cream.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
I did that peanut butter cookie recipe one year for Passover, and my dad the purist said that some Jews don't consider peanuts kosher for Passover. (They, along with peas and soy products, are called kitnoyot, and some consider them one of the grains forbidden on Pesach.)

So I made the cookies with almond butter instead, and they were even (can you believe it?) better! They're less dense, and a bit chewier. Vaguely macaroon-ish.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.