FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Maybe we aren't as openminded as we think

Author Topic: Maybe we aren't as openminded as we think
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Study: Democrats, Republicans Both Ignore Facts

I haven't had time to delve to deeply into this one, but it seems fascinating. It would explain so much about so many threads here. If it works for political candidates, what about political ideologies, religion, science, etc? Perhaps most importantly off all: when will they have one of these machines that I can plug into at the mall and get my "open-mindedness score" for a quarter?

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYSOAL
Member # 3846

- posted      Profile for BYSOAL           Edit/Delete Post 
Love the irony that Fox News is running the story.

I'm not sure I've ever accused anyone who identified themselves as Republican or Democrat as being open-minded. But that's likely just my jaded output on life. People in general will find it easier to accept a set amount of information and resist change from that point on. I'd wager it often takes a fairly jarring event to force someone to wholeheartedly acknowledge new circumstances and information.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
This basic result (that people highly invested in something tend not to engage critical reasoning parts of the brain when looking at disconfirming information) has been known for a long time. It goes along with one of the fun bits of cognitive dissonance in which presenting information that sucessfully challenges something that a person is invested in often leads to that person believing in that thing more strongly. Which is why I say that it's possible that people have become such strong partisans in part because both parties suck pretty hard.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I remember the basic result from Psych 1010. However, being an electrical engineer, something is just more real to me when they can hook up a machine and see what's going on inside. Otherwise, to me it's like the people are the engineering "black box", impossible to know what's going on inside and only able to observe the output. (Except in the case of people, they are able to lie). That's why I thought the article was so cool.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I think part of the problem is that people are so used to being lied to. It seems like everytime I see something that looks really cool or really bothers me, it turns out to be incomplete or flat out wrong.

Or maybe it's the rational my brain uses to reinforce the predetermined "right" answer. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.