FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'd like to do an internship this summer . . .

Author Topic: I'd like to do an internship this summer . . .
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
. . . but it seems near on impossible. I think that an internship, while not providing the income a summer job does, gives a lot more experience. I want to find something within my favored fields: social sciences (politics, history, law, psychology, so on) or the language arts (well, mainly journalism).

Difficulties include:
1. My school doesn't offer any sort of connections to do this through, so I'm doing this all on my own.
2. Well, most of these establishments prefer college interns. I've written to two Congressmen saying I'd like to do an unpaid internship, particularly helping on the 2006 campaign trail, and they told me they were looking for older applicants.
3. It's downright hard finding the places that do do internships.

Anyone had any experience with this sort of thing? Any advice you could give me? I'm not really interested in most of those summer programs they offer high school students--too expensive and the ones I was involved in, well, were pathetic in comparison to my other experiences.

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty difficult to find any internship, paid or unpaid, as a high school student. I'd advise writing to private practicioners in fields you're interested in (politics, history, law, psychology, so on). Write a great cover letter explaining why you want an internship and why they should give you one. Include a resume, even if there isn't much on it.

I know my parents both got offers of this nature and accepted people on a case-by-case basis. The trick is to stay away from high-profile individuals/businesses, as these will already likely be swamped with similar requests from people who, in their eyes at least, are more qualified.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
"I think that an internship, while not providing the income a summer job does, gives a lot more experience."

I'm in high school too, so my opinion is not very qualified and I can't speak from experience, but why don't you just get a regular summer job? You've got plenty of time to get experience later on in better positions. And when you go to college, you'll probably need the extra income you could get from a job, and then you could use your extra time to get a better internship since you're now in college. So a job now may actually help you get more experience in the long run.

Again, just my opinion, I'm just throwing this option out there.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm in high school too, so my opinion is not very qualified and I can't speak from experience, but why don't you just get a regular summer job? You've got plenty of time to get experience later on in better positions. And when you go to college, you'll probably need the extra income you could get from a job, and then you could use your extra time to get a better internship since you're now in college. So a job now may actually help you get more experience in the long run.
This is also true. If you can get any position of worth this summer, the experience and money far outweighs (IMO) anything you could get out of any internship geared towards a highschool student.

If you have the self control to actually save your summer wages, these will be INVALUABLE in college - unless, of course, your parents are subsidizing your expenses, in which case you don't have to worry about it. [Smile]

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

I actually am applying for summer jobs, too, in case the internship falls through.

Mostly this is because I'd like to do something over the summer that's productive, and, I don't know what word to use, enriching.

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
If you're a junior in High School, you should be asking not about a Congressional internship but about the Congressional Page program.

More information here (pdf) and here .

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in high school, I had a few internships of sorts, though I didn't really realize what they were at the time. I got them by making personal contact with people who didn't mind having me help them out, so long as they didn't have to pay me anything. I got some pretty cool stuff out of the deal, and I also got incredible references and a great letter of recommendation that my university was certain to mention in my scholarship award letter. So I think internships are great. I think the biggest key is to develop a personal connection with the people involved. Be friendly. Be personable. Have something unique to offer. That worked very, very well for me.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I know our paper hires interns in the summer - I think they are college students. However, they hire high school students to write sports stories all year round.

We've had a high school student as an evening receptionist (til 8 p.m.). We might hire a high school student to be a paginator (news page designer). These are all possible ways to get a feel for the newspaper business.

You could try being a page in the State Legislature. The Iowa Legislature uses high school students as pages, so other states probably do, too.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to do an intern this summer... erm...
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

Whoo! I talked to a few friends who've done political internships before. According to one with an incredible amount of experience (she knows almost every Republican politician or staffer in Georgia), it's all who you know--and offered to send out feelers to see if she could find me a spot. I said thanks, but wait, and talked to another friend whose family is connected to most of the Democrats in Georgia. And now I'll probably be working on Leautenant Governor Mark Taylor's 2006 election team. I love my people . . .

I'm still sending out letters to the other politicians and our local paper right now, though.

Telp: . . . You know, actually, I'm not even gonna respond to this.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.