FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » An upcoming landmark for all of Hatrack?(now including discussion of slush funds)

Author Topic: An upcoming landmark for all of Hatrack?(now including discussion of slush funds)
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I just noticed that one of the newest members is member number 9090. Which means soon, this forum will reach 10,000 members.

I, for one, and wholly supportive of a celebration of some sort. Although not all of those member are active, that's still a huge landmark, in my book.

What do y'all think?

Is it [Party] time?

[ January 25, 2006, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: Tinros ]

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I think whoever the 10000th member is should only post landmarks.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's closer to [Cry] time.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think whoever the 10000th member is should only post landmarks.
That would be one heck of a chore for Pops to take care of. Finding all those posts and archiving them as landmarks. I can see the beads of sweat running down that forehead already. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

*chuckle*

(Well, naturally, the 10000th member would not be allowed to post in existing threads, but only in new threads. That should help.)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
But there are quite a few members who have registered under multiple names so 10,000 registration will not equal 10,000 members.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
But there are quite a few members who have registered under multiple names so 10,000 registration will not equal 10,000 members.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
And what if there is a rush of members trying to grab the 10000 membership? :thinks deviously:
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

::remembers Jon Boy & Pat's race to grab #5000::

Good times.

Or were they?

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be the only time I've ever seriously considered getting another name.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

I've never even considered getting another name. It just didn't interest me... if I want people to know me, shouldn't I at least be the same person for a while?
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
We are allowing far too many people to join. Who is in charge of the application hearings? I think that we need more diligent screening.

I wouldn't want Hatrack to be overrun with riff-raff.

We can filter out the undesirables by making it a membership requirement that all applicants must submit an application fee.

To me. [Evil]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Nice, Tante. I second everything you said, except the last line. It should read: "To Tinros."
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It should read: "To Tinros."
Oh, puh-leeese! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
How about we just put Tante and Tinros in charge of reading the applications and stick the applications fees in a slush fund for the lot of us?
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
How about we let everyone register, and not charge a fee unless someone posts 1000 posts in their first two months, then what they pay goes into our slush fund.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

While I am all in favor of slush funds, I can not in good conscience endorse breyerchic's plan.
Tinros
Member # 8328

While I am in favor of slush funds, I CAN in good conscience endorse breyerchic's plan.

Personally, I think we should add a little something that says the person who posts that much in the first two months must, after that post count has been reached, pay a little bit to the slush fund for each post thereafter.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
As long as the slush fund is distributed in proportion to member number times number of posts. [Evil]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Does that count for multiple usernames? If that's the case, I'll just register about a million times and swipe it all. [Evil Laugh]
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
As long as the slush fund is distributed in proportion to member number times number of posts. [Evil]

No no, the slush should be destributed by proportion to number of posts/divided by member number.
Tinros
Member # 8328

Here's a compromise: the slush is determined by Tante's posts times your personal amount of posts. As she posts more, you get more money. And as her post count is rapidly increasing, soon we'll all be millionaires.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

While I am all in favor of slush funds, I can not in good conscience endorse Tinros's plan.

This calculation of distribution of fees is becoming increasingly cumbersome. I propose a simpler method. All application fees will go to me, while I consider the merits of each applicant. Failed prospects are booted off, and are parted with their money, which goes into the slush fund. Successful applicants have their application fees forwarded to the fund, to be distributed equally to each member of Hatrack.

Of course, to be a successful applicant, it wouldn't hurt to send a little graft my way. [Wink]

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
What percentage would OSC get? I mean, you know, with him owning and running this place and all that he should get a few bucks at least.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

OSC can get the same grand prize they give the winners on The Iron Chef -- the fame and ovation of the people forever!

Mr. Card strikes me as far too nice, moral, and ethical to sully himself with such a sleazy scheme as soliciting bribes from his fan base. Please do not insult him by implying that he would stoop to such an abased level as, uh, me.

Athalus
Member # 9100

- posted      Profile for Athalus   Email Athalus         Edit/Delete Post 
well, we are at 9100 now [Smile]
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Hey! Who let the new kid in without me getting a cut?
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
A hundred users usually takes a week or two right? But it will be faster with this thread.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Madness!
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lagomorph
Member # 9101

- posted      Profile for Lagomorph   Email Lagomorph         Edit/Delete Post 
The race is on
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Bunny! Is that you?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Oh, never mind. It's Rabbit!

Your invoice is in the mail.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.