FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Nutrition Facts: Rant of a frustrated label-reader (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Nutrition Facts: Rant of a frustrated label-reader
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I chronically read nutrition and ingredient labels. As such, I was a much happier consumer of food before I took a chemistry class.

That aside, though nutritional facts are better than they have been, there's still an awful lot missing.

Notice, for example, that almost all juice you buy at the store these days is pasteurized. In other words, it's heated to kill resident bacteria. As a result, a lot of juices have vitamins added post-pasteurization, since the heating causes the natural vitamins present in the juice to break down. Drinking un-fortified pasteurized juice in many cases is little better nutritionally than drinking a soft drink.

Now, with that in mind, take a look at your garden-variety bag o' potatoes. WOW! 40-60% of your RDA of Vitamin C per serving? Forget the apples- a potato a day to keep the doctor away!

Except, I don't know of anyone who eats potatoes raw. Personally, I tend to steam, bake, roast, fry, or boil the dickens out of them. Which destroys most of the vitamin content.

Further adding to the mockery of making informed decisions about the Recommended Daily Allowance, my sister recently developed a milk allergy. As such, I've become a little more familiar with things like that the amount of calcium or iron something contains does not necessarily amount to the amount of calcium or iron that will be absorbed if you consume that something. In point of fact, it's perfectly possible to consume what you believe to be well over the RDA of a vitamin or mineral and not reach 100% because of non-absorption.

Now, fairly or unfairly, Americans have the reputation of not being able to pull themselves out of their indifference enough to distinguish nutritionally between raw broccoli sprouts and french fries. But if we want to make informed decisions, the information isn't really being made readily available. Pseudo-information stands in its place. Argh!

End rant.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Sterling, you'll be happy to know new labling laws are going into place. In addition to having to list trans fats, they now have to list allergy ingrediants in real words people actually use. If it has milk, it'll say milk instead of a five syllable chemical.

But you do have me wondering about my vitamins. My Dr has me on prenatals. The theory being that a healthy accidental baby is better than an accidental baby with entirely preventable birth defects. I wonder how many of my vitamins I'm actually getting?

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Tangentially, I wish chain restaurants (that are not fast food, I mean, since virtually every fast food chain already does this) had to provide nutritional information upon request, or online.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of them have that info online, but you have to hunt for it.

I wish they were required to put it on the menu, though, like packaged foods are.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Which non-fast food (and non-pizza) restaurants have nutritional info online?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
potatos arent really that great for u. they are extremely starchy, which makes them loaded with carbs. i would say an apple is a lot better. im not extremely well informed.. but this is just what i was told in a series of diabetes-education classes. also, if you are going to make potatos, u can reduce how much starch is in them by soaking them in water for a couple hours prior to cooking/baking them.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I eat potatoes raw. Not in large amounts-- they get toxic-- but I've always enjoyed them raw. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
calorie-count.com

This has most of them compiled for you.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I just wish there were labelling laws - of any sort - here.

While most food items have labels with a list of ingredients, there are no laws stating the order the ingredients have to be listed in, or even that all ingredients have to be listed, so there's no way you can trust what it says.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Heh. I actually have that site already bookmarked . . . somehow I never noticed the full service restaurants there, though. [Embarrassed]

Still, I would say "most of them" is a bit of an exageration. I don't see Outback, Chili's, Red Lobster, etc. And for each restaurant, they only have a selection of food entries, and serving sizes are sometimes unclear.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Well, I didn't mean for 'most of them' to mean every full service restaurant in the US. I'm sure there're plenty left off, but this is better than nothing, I guess.

And, this has Chili's and Red Lobster, along with a lot of others. I didn't check carefully, so I can't say how many others or whether or not they're accurate, but there's the info.

Icarus
Member # 3162

Cool! A new nutrition site! Thanks!
Icarus
Member # 3162

(erm, I'm not succeeding in finding Chili's and Red Lobster so far . . . )
Icarus
Member # 3162

ah, found it. [Smile]
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I eat potatoes raw. Not in large amounts-- they get toxic-- but I've always enjoyed them raw. [Big Grin]

I amend my previous statement. I know of one person who eats potatoes raw.

Presumably, with ketchup.

[Smile]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid I'd often snatch raw potato chunks as my mom was peeling them. I still like the taste, although I haven't had one in a few years.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
While most food items have labels with a list of ingredients, there are no laws stating the order the ingredients have to be listed in, or even that all ingredients have to be listed, so there's no way you can trust what it says.

Don't they always list ingredients from most quantity to least? For example, in the can of Pepsi I'm drinking right now the first two ingredients are water (duh) and high-fructose corn syrup and/or sugar, those being the two basic ingredients in a good can o soda. And...yay, "natural flavors" is dead last!

As far as not having to list certain ingredients, I vaguely remember some minor controversy over something like that, but google search has been unproductive. But I did find out that...

The new alergy listing requirements went into effect Jan 1st.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Juxtapose, you're probably not aware that I'm living in Sri Lanka, where the laws are *cough* different and enforcing them are *cough* flexible.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex Johansen
Member # 9090

- posted      Profile for Alex Johansen   Email Alex Johansen         Edit/Delete Post 
I also heard that ingredients are listed from the highest count to the least. And carbs are good, they give you energy, not as much as protein, but they give youa quick burst, none-the-less. For me here is a diet (and work out routine) I try to follow

5:00AM - Wake up
5:30AM - Eat 2 Pop-tarts, a banana, and a glass of OJ
6:00AM - Bike to School (2.6 miles)
6:15AM - Arrive at school, do 50 push ups, 75 curl ups
7:10AM - Begin school - blah blah blah
11:30AM - Lunch time, usually tuna fish sandwhiches, tuna contains I think 13grams of protein, and bread contains about 5 per every 2 slices
2:10PM - School Ends, begin ROTC activity (monday is rifle practice, tuesday and wednesday is drill, usually including 12lb drill rifles, thursday is PT/OT, friday is academic [but also PT during the class period of ROTC too])
5:00 or 6:00PM - Bike home (2.6 miles again)

I get to bed around 9 to 11
And I usually chow down on something when I get home, it changes daily thoguh but I try to make it something with lots of calories or protein.

I weigh 117 lbs and am 5'11" (and I'm a guy too! so I'm like a stick bug, and not to mention biking in the wind reallllly sucks)

Here's a few health facts I know:

protein - long term energy
carbs - short term energy
calories - 1500 = 1 lb, but they get burnt off quickly, about 90 calories per hour if your sitting
I am really trying to get 3000 a day, but its hard with most of the instant foods I eat which contain a bare minimum of about 100 calories, a double quarter pounder from McDonalds is about 710 calories though, so good deal.

Post Scriptum: Sorry for any typos, I didn't get to proofread my article

Posts: 141 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Nope. 1 pound is 3000 calories, not 1500.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

It's 3500, actually.

And Alex, dude, you need to eat more. As much exercise as you get, I'd say 2800-3000 calories a day at least. Start snacking throughout the day.

Nuts make a great snack, as does granola (if you can find it where it's not loaded with sugar).

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Except, I don't know of anyone who eats potatoes raw
[Wave] (now you know of two people -- except I don't currently eat raw potatoes because I'm restricting my carb intake)

I wrote a protest e-mail to Quiznos the other day because their nutritional information on their site is so bad. I mean, their web site has a listing that shows "carb content" but it doesn't show whether than is for a small, regular or large sandwich, which what options and dressings. Doesn't really help much.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I wish they were required to put it on the menu, though, like packaged foods are.

I wish there were no labeling laws, but that companies would label everything voluntarily anyway.

Unfortunately that's just a dream on both counts.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex Johansen
Member # 9090

- posted      Profile for Alex Johansen   Email Alex Johansen         Edit/Delete Post 
Takes money to research and print nutritional facts. And I guess that makes my "health facts" into "health assumptions". And you know what assuming does!

Post Scriptum: I don't like nuts, what other snacks can you suggest? I want something high in protein preferably, or high in carbs. I'll just make up for whatever I don't get from snacks elsewhere. Now I have to aim for 3500 calories a day and 50g of protein, this is going to be a toughie....

If I do find a "proper" diet plan for weight gain and/or workout diets, I'll post it.

Posts: 141 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
How old are you Alex?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Beef jerky is a good snack for adding protein; very little fat. But it's chock full of sodium.

Chicken breasts and tuna fish are still the PB&Js of the weight gaining club, but I'm not real big on either.

Icarus
Member # 3162

Sodium is a bigger deal than people realize, because the majority of low-cal and low-carb foods load up on sodium to make up for the lack of flavor otherwise (also, many prepackaged microwaveable foods that do not require refrigeration do this). Look at the sodium content on something you eat from the grocery store sometime . . . do you eat ramen for lunch? That's anywhere from 30% to 50% of your RDA right there. Salt doesn't have any calories or carbs, so great, right? Well, actually it raises your blood pressure. And I think the incidence of high-sodium food is a relatively recent thing, so it might be a while before we see the results on a societal scale. (On a personal scale, I see it in my father, whose heart is failing (for unrelated reasons) and who finds it nearly impossible to stay under 100% of the USRDA for sodium, not because he cannot fight temptation, but because the foods are not there--especially given that, as a diabetic, he needs to keep his sugar low as well. These days, how do you keep both your sugar and your sodium intake low? Well, it's pretty much impossible.)
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Which non-fast food (and non-pizza) restaurants have nutritional info online?

Ruby Tuesday's has nutritional information posted under each menu item (not complete, but anything you'd see on a standard package).

Only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Salt doesn't have any calories or carbs, so great, right? Well, actually it raises your blood pressure.
It was my understanding that sodium only contributes to increased blood pressure in people that already have it - ie. salt doesn't raise the blood pressure of person that doesn't already have high blood pressure (much like sugar doesn't cause diabetes, but it's intake can cause problems for people with the disease).

I can understand what a tough time your dad has. Basically the only way he can successfully do that is to make things from scratch (and would probably benefit from seeing a nutritionist who could help him plan meals and provide guidance with recipes).

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

No, I think sodium does that whether you have high blood pressure or not.

And sodium is the thing I have the most problem eliminating from my diet. I can eat fat free for months, cut out all sugars, and do all kinds of other stuff. But if you ask me to reduce my sodium intake by half I have a hard time doing it.

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I eat tuna and chicken a lot when I want to LOSE weight. [Razz] But my body is weird. I weighed the least over the summer (6' and about 117lbs.), during which time I drank regularly and lived entirely on fast food.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex Johansen
Member # 9090

I am 16.

And I try to eat beans, since they have lots of protein too, but I have some of the most rancid.... well, use your imagination. Anyways, that's why I make about 4 tuna fish sandwhiches and bring 2 to school, then i get 2 school chocolate milks with 8g of protein in each. About 180 calories in each too, and they are small too! Like about a quarter of a liter each.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sodium raises blood pressure in anyone who is sodium sensitive (which appears to be about half the population).

However, you don't generally find out if you are sodium sensitive until after your blood pressure gets too high. Also, as you age your chances of being sensitive increase.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Then I would suspect, Alex, that part of your problem may be with the beans themselves. As in, the type and how they're prepared.

If you cook your own, I've found that soaking beans for 24 hours (not one or two) goes a very long way towards eliminating the vast majority of gas in the beans. I'd even suggest going so far as to boil the beans for one hour, then soak for 23 hours (in changed water), then cooking again at the end. That does an even better job of eliminating gas.

If you're talking prepared foods, then I have no advice for you except to start preparing your own. Scratch prepared food is far healthier, anyway.

Like the sodium stuff up thread - I have no problems with getting too much sodium in my diet. Actually, I have to make sure I add enough sodium. But then, I cook everything (or close to everything) from scratch. It gives me a huge amount of control in what we take in.

Do it yourself jerky can have a lot less sodium. You could consider that.

Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by ludosti:
I can understand what a tough time your dad has. Basically the only way he can successfully do that is to make things from scratch (and would probably benefit from seeing a nutritionist who could help him plan meals and provide guidance with recipes).

Actually, he is an excellent cook, has seen nutritionists, and cooks virtually all his own meals from scratch. And my point is that it is still unbelievably difficult to simultaneously keep sugar intake low and salt intake at or below 100% USRDA. The ingredients just aren't there, unless all your meals consist of lettuce or something, followed by Diet Jello.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

You're 16. Most kids who are thin at 16 grow into their bodies. Don't freak that you're too thin. Just enjoy it. You'll look back with fondness when you're 40.

Pix

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The ingredients just aren't there, unless all your meals consist of lettuce or something, followed by Diet Jello.
Diet Jello with lettuce? Sounds like Mormon Delite to me! [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

But he can't have the babies. Too much sodium.

[Frown]

rivka
Member # 4859

Too much sugar too, I bet. Babies are sweet lil' things.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You're 16. Most kids who are thin at 16 grow into their bodies. Don't freak that you're too thin. Just enjoy it. You'll look back with fondness when you're 40.
Pix

Ain't that the truth (well, I can only testify to 35, but...)
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex Johansen
Member # 9090

I'm glad I'm skinny. I want to be strong though, I'm really weak, and the mock PFT is coming up in ROTC, so I want to be able to pass it.

Also, the only beans I really eat are baked beans (with hot dogs in them, mmm mm good). So what do you suggest I do to lower the gas in those?

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I think the incidence of high-sodium food is a relatively recent thing. . .
I'm not sure this is the case. Salt has been a major preservative for food for thousands of years. Until after the advent of refrigeration, canning, etc. was it even possible to avoid a relatively salty diet? I imagine that's why there is so much salt in packaged foods. Salt makes things taste better to most people because we've had thousands of years of conditioning to eat it.

I imagine fat content is similar, and why many people would say the best tasting things are all high in fat content.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Alex, I think if you like chocolate milk, you should drink at least a quart of that a day, maybe more. Sounds like you need to add more protein to help build muscle and also more overall calories. Whole chocolate milk is great for both of those things, as well as having lots of calcium to strengthen your bones. When you exercise a lot, your bone density increases too so you need more calcium to provide the building material for that.

If you were trying to lose weight while getting stronger, I would recommend lots of skim milk. If you were lactose intolerant, you could go with the lactose free milk, and if you were carb-intolerant (as I am) I would recommend the low carb milk they have now. Milk is really good for you. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex Johansen
Member # 9090

Hmm, more chocolate milk? DEAL! I'll do it! I'll drink more chocolate milk. If that's what it takes......
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Huh. I thought I read somewhere that the chocolate renders the calcium non-absorbable by the human body. I'll try to remember to check on that in the morning, when I'm more coherent, unless someone else wants to beat me to it?
Alex Johansen
Member # 9090

I hope not! Milk is disgusting to me.
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, the only beans I really eat are baked beans (with hot dogs in them, mmm mm good). So what do you suggest I do to lower the gas in those?
Stir in a pinch of baking soda.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Epazote reduces gas in beans. Of course, it's kind of an aquired taste.

I love it, though. 'Specially in black bean soup. Mmmm.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
Huh. I thought I read somewhere that the chocolate renders the calcium non-absorbable by the human body. I'll try to remember to check on that in the morning, when I'm more coherent, unless someone else wants to beat me to it?

Less absorbable, not non-absorbable. The difference is actually quite small.
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm giving up Taco Bell. Sheeeesh! [Eek!]
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.