FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Religion War questions

Author Topic: The Religion War questions
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Well all right then:

quote:
Glenn Arnold, why not present here all the questions?

The key question in “The Religion War” by Scott Adams is: “If God is so smart, why do you fart?”

Then, at the end of the book there are some
quote:
QUESTIONS TO PONDER

1. If you suspected you were deluded, how could you find out for sure?
2. Are humans the product of a skilled or an unskilled designer?
3. Would an omnipotent being need to think in the way that people understand it? Or is thinking unnecessary for a timeless, indestructible being whose preferences are the
same as reality?
4. Why would God be so unclear about what book or books he authored?
5. Is consciousness anything more than a continual process of imagining, acting, observing the impact of the action, and imagining again with new information?
6. The dictionary defines "faith" as belief without evidence. It defines "stupidity" as unreasoned thinking. Is belief without evidence a form of unreasoned thinking?
7. Can the impact of your actions rippling into the future be considered an immortal soul?
8. Could atheists and believers accept the same definition of God?

A.

PS: my UQ for the day: "Is the Ultimate Question a religious one?" [Big Grin] [yeah, this is a meta-UQ]

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
One reason I was not presenting ALL the questions, is that I would have preferred to leave several out. Here's the list I would include:

3. Would an omnipotent being need to think in the way that people understand it? Or is thinking unnecessary for a timeless, indestructible being whose preferences are the
same as reality?

5. Is consciousness anything more than a continual process of imagining, acting, observing the impact of the action, and imagining again with new information?

7. Can the impact of your actions rippling into the future be considered an immortal soul?

[ January 24, 2006, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Glenn Arnold ]

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

And my answers, at least to start:

I'd emulate Jonathan Nash. (Read "A beautiful mind")

same as reality?

No. Yes.

This question is better understood in context with the book. But to me, consciousness involves self awareness. I'm not clear that that's covered in this definition.

I consider the soul to be the software that resides in my hardware. I never considered the idea that it could exist beyond my life. I think of this question relating to legacy, not soul.

This is a deceptive question. We always have accepted theistic definitions of God. We just don't believe that those Gods exist.

The question implies that accepting a definition of God is tantamount to believing in that God, which simply isn't true.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.