FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So, who's number is up on the 100th?

Author Topic: So, who's number is up on the 100th?
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm talking about Smallville. I'm so excited! Every board I visit has this topic up in flames, so I thought I'd discuss it with you guys too. So, so, so! Who do you think will die on the 100th episode of Smallville??
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Clark of course.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Lana? Lionel? Jonathan? One of those three would be my guess, just based on what's been going on in the show and what's going to happen in the episode.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
What season is this?

I've probably seen most of the 1st, 2nd, and maybe 3rd season of Smallville. Will I be completely clueless as to what's going on? The last epsiode I think I remember seeing is when Lionel went to jail. When is the 100th episode? I might watch it just to see who dies.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

We're on the 5th season. Lionel went to the sort of temporary jail at the end of season 3 and was in real jail for about half of season 4. You might be slightly clueless as to what's going on as some stuff has happened but nothing major. The 100th episode is tomorrow night at 7PM CST.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
My strong hunch is that it is Jonathan (similar to the Superman Movie). Can't be Martha, for politically correct and continuity reasons. I can't really explain it other than I doubt they'd show his mother dying. Whereas a dying father fits continuity and would be more acceptable (On TV, fathers are disposible and dumb anyway).

Lois isn't going anywhere. Lex can't die (duh). I mean, the guy has been shot twice in the past two weeks. Jeez, that guy can constantly take a beating and keep going. Chloe has already been killed once, only to turn up alive through cheap tricks that couldn't possible have actually happened (The timing from the moment she shut her door till the house blew up, out that door, is literally less than 1 second. No way she'd get to an underground tunnel- laughably used for the underground railroad- in Kansas, no less). To kill her now would be a cheap shot and so very anti-climactic. Not to mention, they've new life in Chloe as Clark's Daily Planet reporter connection. My guess is that she'll be key in helping Clark tackle larger problems. And it would truly be a cheap shot to bring Pete back to kill him off, besides the fact that his guest starring would be all over the rumorville. Plus, it's not like they're close. Clark has mentioned Pete ONCE in, like 2 years, when he could superspeed to Pete's for hanging out anytime he wanted. And Lana has been fetishized by the writers. Despite the fact that the show is about Clark and Lex and their destinies, Lana gets second billing, after Clark. She's not going anywhere (Or let's just say, if she did, that'd show so heretofore invisible stones for AlMiles. It'll never happen, though.)

It's gotta be Jonathan. Heck, they've been consistantly (surprising for Smallville) mentioning Jonathan's heart problems for a year and a half. The pieces are all there.

Plus the guilt would be so useful (if they were willing to use it.) After all, Jonathan's heart is weakened because Jor-El gave Jonathan his abilities to get Clark back when he was in Metropolis on a Red-K bender. Then, he gave up his powers to be with Lana. But his life was spared and his powers returned only because the life of someone he loved would be taken. So, in his mind, he kills his father.

That would be a totally new angle. They might even be able to keep the momentum of such a painful death (and not sweep it under the table after one episode). As opposed to, say, his wife, the girl who made him feel normal and special at the same time, Alicia, and her vile murder, which left such a vacant hole in his soul that he tried out for the Metropolis Sharks the next week, and has never mentioned her once since then. And has said that he never has loved anyone except Lana.

Too bad it couldn't be Lana. Lex is bleeding to death, having been shot trying to protect her, confides to Lana that he loves her and had a dream about their life together, and then confesses that the ship is gone, and her response? "How could you lie to me!?!?" So. Utterly. Self. Involved. Manipulative. Passive Aggressive. Incredibly moody (see her feelings toward Clark or Lex at the beginning of this year, versus now, verses last year, verses the year before that.) Herself a liar.

If only...

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I know! It's BOTH parents!

He's really ALT-CLARK! (Now everything finally makes sense! [Big Grin] )

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

*spoilers*

So, here we are. It looks like Lana may be dead, but who knows what will happen in the next half hour. I must say, this is an awesome episode though. I really feel for Clark.

EDIT: The time travel was expected. The real question is who dies this time around. Lana again? Or will it be Jonathan this time? How will it go? Oh the excitement. [Big Grin]

EDIT2: Man, I'm doing awesome at guessing stuff based solely off the previews. Only a few minutes left in the show. Lots of stuff has gone down. Craziness.

[ January 26, 2006, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: pfresh85 ]

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG spoilers!!!

*hides eyes*

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Total spoilers for the episode. I figured that if you were in the thread, you'd know that. Plus I said spoilers at the start of my post.

That being said, excellent episode, and the preview makes it look like it will actually have an effect on Clark (unlike Alicia's death).

Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Clarks mom.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Historian
Member # 8858

- posted      Profile for Historian   Email Historian         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter Gabriel... excelent choice... brought tears
Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Hated the "going back in time" cheat. Loved the reference to it.

"What'd you do, spin the earth backwards on its axis?"

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Spoilers (Don't click if you don't want it really spoiled)
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Have you already seen it, Advent? It's still two hours before it's on over here.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Earth blows up and everyone dies... [Wink]

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
Lana's "death" sucked. First, I don't usually like when characters die and are brought back through magic. Was that magic mentioned in the show before? That Clark could travel back in time if someone dies? If it wasn't, then it was a cheap trick. The only time I like when a character dies and is brought back is when the character dies and you think "Wow. You really don't realize what you have until you lose it" and then the character is brought back, giving you a newfound appreciation for said character.

I definitely did not feel that way about Lana when she died. Maybe it's because I haven't seen most of the recent episodes, or maybe it's because I'm insensitive (which I don't think I am when it comes to deaths of fictional characters) but I didn't really care when she died. I felt sympathy for Clark, but she bothered me alot for some reason. I don't see what Clark sees in her besides her gorgeous face. Maybe Clark is keeping secrets, but has it ever occured to you that since he knows what the secret is and you don't, maybe he's keeping it a secret for a good reason! You don't know!

And then when Lana came to Clark after he went back in time and Clark didn't reveal his secret, Clark was being so nice to her, what gave her the reason to go all b****y on him? Poor kid. He deserves better than her.

And when Clark's dad was collapsing at the farm, why didn't Clark pick him up and run him to the hospital immediately? That was what my first thought was when I saw him like that. I don't think Clark thinks clearly under pressure.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

And now if anyone could answer some questions I have about recent episodes I'd be very grateful. First, in the intro, there was a scene where Clark was in a phone booth and he ripped open his shirt and there was the Superman S burning on his chest. What's the deal with that? Second, why did Clark tell Chloe his secret? Finally, what was the icy fortress place? How did the metal object thingy get him to that place from a cave? Was that on Krypton? Who built that cave?

Thanks.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

The S on his chest was from season 3. That scene is from the first episode of season 3.

Clark never told Chloe his secret. Alicia (Clark's sort of girlfriend/love interest for part of season 3 and season 4, till she got killed) showed Chloe, to try and make it easier for Clark to come out about his secret. Chloe didn't even really tell Clark she knew till the start of this season (when she more or less had to since she was in the Fortress of Solitude).

Icy fortress = Fortress of Solitude. The Fortress of Solitude was constructed from the three combined Kryptonian crystals/artifacts that were hidden around Earth (the collection of those was the main focus of season 4). The Fortress of Solitude is in Antarctica.

As for who built the caves, I don't know. There's obviously some Kryptonian stuff going on there, but it also has Native American ties. The little cave within the cave is the hidden part that you need the Kryptonian key (from Clark's ship) to get into. Inserting the key into that metal pedastal (the original crystal holder thing when Clark only had one) transports you to the Fortress.

EDIT: As for the time travelling, Jor-El seems to have all sorts of powers (and basically inhabits the Fortress of Solitude now). I mean he resurrected Clark (although had to take the life of someone else later on to do it). So time travel isn't out of the question, seeing all the other things Jor-El has done.

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

How did he get the S, though? Was it from Jarell? And who built the fortress of solitude with the 3 crystals? Did Clark just put them togethor and it appeared? And can noone enter it without going through the caves? What makes it special?
pfresh85
Member # 8085

The S showed up on his chest during season 2 (I forget what originally provoked it, since it's been a few years, but I do believe it was Jor-El). At the end of Season 2, Clark decided that he had been hurting everyone in his family, so he put on a red kryptonite ring and went to live in Metropolis where he couldn't harm his family or friends. That scene where he tears open his shirt and the S is burning on his chest is from the start of season 3, where Clark is in Metropolis and Jor-El makes a deal with Jonathan Kent to bring Clark back.

The Fortress would be constructed (based on the prophecy and legends left behind) when the three crystals were united. Clark got all 3 crystals at the end of season 4. He united them and got transported to the Antarctic. At the start of season 5, the Fortress basically built itself from the ground up, crystals shooting up through the ground and all.

To get to the Fortress, you'd either have to go through the caves or (if you're Clark) you can just run there. The caves themselves have a link back to the Kryptonians and to prophecies about Clark.

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Sigh...I love those kind of stories when they're well done. They had a neat idea here, but the actual episodes just drive me crazy with all of the plotholes and other things that don't make any sense...I think I enjoyed pfresh's explanation of what happened in the show more than I enjoyed tonight's episode...
enochville
Member # 8815

- posted      Profile for enochville   Email enochville         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Smallville. I really like Lana and cried when she died. I knew something bad had to happen because for a moment all was great (Clark revealed his secret to Lana, they were engaged, and Johnathan won the Senate race). I did not think it was going to be Lana's death though. Several episodes ago I thought she might die because Clark has to end up with Lois eventually. So, I was surprized when she did not die the second time. But, it was fitting that Johnathan died.

To be honest part of the whole reason I started watching Smallville (I hated "Lois and Clark")was just to look at Lana. So, I am glad she is still around for at least a little longer.

Posts: 264 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so Lana dies? I don't personally watch the show, but a bunch of my friends do, so I'd like to look knowledgable tomorrow.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

The reason Lana really can't stay dead is she still has a role to play in Clark's life. Like in the movies (and in some of the older comics), Jonathan Kent's role in Clark's life did end at some point. So at least Smallville is doing something right there.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Lana dies but is back (due to time travel stuff). The character who is dead (and will stay dead most likely) is Jonathan Kent.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

It has just started over here!!
*shhhh!!

pfresh85
Member # 8085

It's been off for over 2 hours here now. [Razz]

In reality, I didn't mean to spoil anything. I just assumed this would be the right thread to bring up for discussion of the episode.

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

It just ended right now, SO SAD!!!
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was great. When Lana died, my jaw dropped and I thought, "Well I'll be...they had the stones to do it after all." I tried to imagine how Clark could not go over to Lex and rip his head off. After all, he nearly killed the guy who killed Alicia. Then I looked at my watch and saw it was 7:20 and knew that she'd be back. And I was sad because I had absolutely no doubt in my mind that it was really Jonathan was going to die.

And Clark, big dumb alien that he is, is who he is because of his father, platitudes and soapbox or no. It's Jonathan, more than anyone, who makes Superman. And I will miss him. It really was sad. Lana was traded for Jonathan. But at least he had to give her up and know that he can never be with her.

The 'S' came from the season finale of Season 2. Clark was speaking to Jor-El's AI in the ship and said that he wasn't going to go along with Jor-El's plans for him, which he understands is to conquer the earth. Jor-El decided to teach him a lesson and 'brand' him with the "House of El", the family crest, so that he doesn't forget who he is. While Clark is on Red-K in metropolis, sometimes his body ODs on it. At those times, he has to take the ring off. The scene in the phone booth was one of those OD times, just before he takes the ring off. Not 'high' anymore, he calls his parents, but the guilt keeps him from actually saying anything. Then he puts the ring back on and is able to push aside his feelings of guilt.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.