FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Firefly Season 2: On demand- a good idea?

Author Topic: Firefly Season 2: On demand- a good idea?
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the question that seems to be being posed by this site.

quote:
Who we are:
We are an independent production company and core group of Browncoats. We are not affiliated with 20th Century Fox or Universal Pictures.

We are currently pursuing the rights to continue the series from Fox and make it available to the fans, either directly or via another broadcaster.

The optional information collected at this site is simply used to determine where and how the series should be marketed to consumers. (that's you!)

This site is NOT a solicitation for funds. If anyone claiming to represent this site, or any other site for that matter, asks you for money or sensitive personal information, you should report it immediately.

I'd be willing to pay per episode of this show, maybe up to $3; $3.50 at most. If it ended up running a normal 25ish episodes a season, that money would add up. Add in a hefty discount for the DVD set, and that would probably seal the deal.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Where are they getting the start up funds from?

I'd be interested in something like this.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Would they be using the original actors and so forth?
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
And without Whedon, it's not even worth doing.
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Never underestimate the power of a talented fan. Ever see trekkies? Remember mullet kid? Look where he's at. If they get the original crew, I'd be for it. If Whedon was involved, it would only be better.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

If they got back everyone except Whedon, all the other writers and production people, it'd be okay. The actors know how to play their characters now, and Joss wasn't writing a majority of the episodes anyway I believe. They'd deal, and it'd be better than nothing for a lot of people.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember mullet kid. Who is he?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
There has been a ton of discussion over this, whether it's a good idea, whether it's even on the level, etc. So far the consensus seems to be that it's legit, but probably doomed. The guy doing it hasn't gotten hold of Whedon (reportedly) and is working on getting the rights from FOX to save Whedon the trouble.

Frankly, I have no idea. Here's what the guy doing it had to say.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Mullet kid was the kid who answered the phone and said something like "Dave, you called at the WORST possible time! Ok. Ok, bye." in the middle of the interview. He also did 3d modeling (this was back in 1994 or something and was very good). I think his name was Gabe. He had a very supportive dad. Well, anyway, now he's doing graphic work for things like Battle Star Galactica (he designed the Vipers), Enterprise, Lost and such. In otherwords, he was a geeky kid, and now he's a geeky guy who went places.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be exciting, although I'm not sure how willing I would be to pay for each episode at $3 a pop. For a poor college student, that would add up. But, I guess anything to get Firefly back.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I would only be willing to pay that much for an episode if I got a boxed set for free at the end of the season. Otherwise, a 22 episode season would cost me almost $70, which is exorbitant considering I only paid $20 for the first season.
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
While I'd like to see this happen, and would probably pay for new episodes, I really doubt that this would ever happen. Firefly is already a tough sell even in traditional and proven formats, and I'd expect it to be much harder in such an unproven format. Granted, this sort of distribution is not unprecedented, but it is still very much uncharted territory compared to normal TV.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I would pay for sure.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss the pilot, but I still love the hot mechanic. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember rightly, there was a lot of talk about doing something like this when Angel went off the air.

Nothing happened then. I very much doubt that anything will happen now.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's so unlikely that examining what I would do in that case is pretty worthless.

Plus, not really sure what on demand tv is, or if I could get it even if I wanted to.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see 13 episode seasons. I think the shorter seasons like on HBO and some British shows allow for much better and quality story telling.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.