FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » When Does a Thread Go too Far?

Author Topic: When Does a Thread Go too Far?
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
When does a well meaning thread go too far? When I was part of the Hatrack Supreme Court I messed up big time and got to serious. And for the last time I DID NOT GO MAD WITH POWER!!!

So what is your judgement of when does a thread go too far?

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
When you have to post a thread like this to figure it out.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm being serious, when do you think that a thread has gone too far?
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I already gave my answer. If you can't figure it for yourself where the thread went to far, I can't help you.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

You just don't want to help do you?
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'm afraid that I CAN'T help. Its not a matter of whether I want to or not. You need to figure it out for yourself.
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
this thread is already getting there [Smile]
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
When people start posting on it with an air of being seriously annoyed, not just playfulness. And if you can't determine that tone with reasonable accuracy, its an acquired skill which I would recommed learning. The best technique for learning this, IMO, is lurking and reading other peoples posts and their responses and stuff like that.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Dr S is advocating the same thing I said in your other thread where you asked pretty much the same question. There's a pretty good indication right there: The fact that you are asking the same thing in TWO threads is pointless.

Seriously: Try reading some other threads for a little while instead of starting a new thread for every thought that crosses your mind.

Also, Steve's first post here is a good answer. Instead of being belligerent with him, try reading it again and thinking about it.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I pretty much reworded your orignial idea Enigmatic. Hope you don't mind the plagarism. I figure if we throw it out as much as possible in as many different ways as possible, maybe it will sink in. Or something.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
Dr S is advocating the same thing I said in your other thread where you asked pretty much the same question. There's a pretty good indication right there: The fact that you are asking the same thing in TWO threads is pointless.

Seriously: Try reading some other threads for a little while instead of starting a new thread for every thought that crosses your mind.

Also, Steve's first post here is a good answer. Instead of being belligerent with him, try reading it again and thinking about it.

--Enigmatic

Huzzah! Huzzah! (This probably isn't something you should do very often, by the way.)
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Your right, I get it now. Or at least I think I do.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Thinking and knowing are two different things.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't think you are. Know you are.
[/matrix quote]
edit: [Wall Bash] That's not the first time you beat me like that. It's funny how we thought of the same thing, though.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The line is anything I wouldn't do. [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a G.I. Joe moment: "And knowledge is half the battle!"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

"The line is anything I wouldn't do."

It's late and I woke up at 6:15 today, so I'm going to blame that for the reason why I have no idea what you just said. Who are you talking to here?

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
I think she meant that you know you have crossed the line when you do something I(meaning KQ) wouldn't do.

At least that is what I thought she said...I could be wrong.

Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Oh, that sounds right. I thought she was referring to my Matrix quote and I was so confused. Well, g'night all!
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Advent 115:
I'm being serious, when do you think that a thread has gone too far?

7.314, of course. Anyone who tells you differently is lying.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, it's "And KNOWING is half the battle"

"Know that I am the one you seek! I am the one born to rule, destined to conquer! Let those who fear me follow me. Let those who oppose me die! For I am Serpentor, and this I command!"

If you start talking like that Advent, you're probably in trouble.

Hatrack lalalalalalalalalalala!!!

(probably only funny if you've seen GI Joe the Movie, and maybe not even then)

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Know that I am the one you seek! I am the one born to rule, destined to conquer! Let those who fear me follow me. Let those who oppose me die! For I am Serpentor, and this I command!"

If you start talking like that Advent, you're probably in trouble.

He was getting there, hence the trouble.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Advent, here's the problem, as straightforward as possible:

1) You and Reticulum took an idea way too far and became way too serious about it, to the point where it seemed you thought you actually had some sort of influence over anything, at all. Establishing things like "We obviously defer to OSC and the admins" doesn't clarify that you have no power; it makes it sound like you think SOMEONE has to defer to YOU. Your first hint that no one thought it was amusing or even a joke should have been when almost no one but you or Reticulum responded in the thread.

2) You then decided to throw yourself into another thread wherein you played the receiver of confessions. Punctuating it with your own posts saying you forgive repliers is over-the-top egocentric and borderline offensive, especially in a community where the religious are the majority.

3) I honestly can't tell 95% of the time whether you're serious or you just have absolutely no concept of humor. You single people out and lash out at others, and not in the context of a heated debate - you just do it to be either "funny" or plain rude.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.