FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The only thing I want for my birthday, is a violin.

Author Topic: The only thing I want for my birthday, is a violin.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss the violin. I could express myself so well with it, it felt like a part of me. I proposed to buy myself one since I started working, but with the whole trip to France, I must save all my money. It really burns me inside that I do not have a violin though. So I'd like to hint to my family that I want one for my birthday but I'm not sure how to do it without sounding demanding or anything of the sort. I saw some pretty cheap ones on eBay, but as I said, I must save all my money. Oh, what is a violinist to do?
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you rent one?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Too expensive. Besides, I want to OWN one.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand that.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
What happened to the old violin?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

It belonged to my high school so when I graduated, I had to leave it behind.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Solution: Hitchike to Germany, or Italy. Once there, if Germany, trudge blindly through the snow for several days, until you come upon an isolated village begging soup bread and cheese. If Italy, you walk jauntily for several days along a dirt road draped by Grape vines, you are shrouded in the perfectly orange sun, and the glow of the evening, and beautiful italian maidens wave to you from their windows when you reach the village.

This done, you will find that you are lodged with the kindly family of the famous violin maker of legend. What luck! You have been seeking the ultimate violin. But alas! Your money was stolen from you by bandits along the path, you have arrived with nothing, not even your pride.

The wise and kindly violin maker understands your plight, he was a young man once, captured by the romantiscism of the musical life. He offers you this compromise, you will work to tutor his eldest daughter in the language of you homeland, as he builds you his masterpeice, his finest violin yet.

You agree, and as the weeks pass, and the snow slowly melts, you grow an affinity for this land which you could never have before imagined. You fall madly and deeply in love with the violin maker's beautiful daughter, and you promise you hearts to eachother. The snows melt, or the grapes are harvested, and you run through the pastures together.

Finally, on the day that your violin is completed, the whole town gathers to hear its first notes. But soft, there is a conductor from Munich in the crowd, a God among the musical elite. He hears you play your beautiful new violin, and he insists that you come away with him at once to the city to play in the orchestra, where you will be famous and respected by all for your talent and your violin. You are Torn. Distraught. The girl, the town, the countryside, you loive tem both, but the city and the Orchestra are your DREAM.

You go off reluctantly to the city, but after your first performance, a stunning so rendition of a Vivaldi Concerto, you run to the train station and hop on the first trainback to your beloved. Unknown to you, she has already boarded a train to come to the city and find you. You return to the town and find the family in despair, their eldest daughter gone, the Violin maker has devoloped arthritis and cannot build another violin ever again. Your return to the city in despair, and play mournfully with the Philharmonic, become the pride of the city and one night, you beloved sees your name on a poster advertising the greatest works of classical music, from the Virtuoso Altariel himself, she goes, and stands to shout in the middle of your solo: Marry me you fool.

You are married, and live happily and richly ever after

now wouldn't that be nice?

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw that would be nice, Orincoororoaror!!! (Too lazy to scroll up and check.Hope all the letters are there.) I wish that I were not in Hawaii where it is three times as humid as anywhere else in the world and I could just ship you mine!!! But I think shipping the thing would break my heart. And not only because I'd miss it, but because of the horrors it'd have to endure to get to you! How I loathe those postal people. And humidity.
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

That would be nice if I were a young man, but I happen to be a girl....
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by jennabean:
Aw that would be nice, Orincoororoaror!!! (Too lazy to scroll up and check.Hope all the letters are there.) I wish that I were not in Hawaii where it is three times as humid as anywhere else in the world and I could just ship you mine!!! But I think shipping the thing would break my heart. And not only because I'd miss it, but because of the horrors it'd have to endure to get to you! How I loathe those postal people. And humidity.

FedEx is really good!! [Big Grin]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Where do you live? I could loan you mine if you really wanted one just to fiddle around with.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
She lives in California.

Alt, look at pawnshops, I know someone who bought a violin at a pawn shop for $30 and it was in good enough shape to play for five years (she was our principal second violinist).

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've wanted a baritone horn (euphonium) ever since I had to give my up after college marching band...

...but if wishes were horses......

Instruments are expensive. And hard to qualify as being a "necessity" when you are budgeting. That is just how it is. Maybe someday in the future I will yet have one.

I agree with breyerchic -- look at pawn shops. I once had to sell an instrument to a pawn shop for cash..

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I've still never found a cello at one, but David Baker did, that's how he picked Cello.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I don't see the problem.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro, I almost popped reading that.

*warm fuzzies*

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd check craigslist too and see if anything pops up.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I want someone to get engaged to me and to give me an ESP Viper, left handed or a left handed baritone electric guitar instead of an engagement ring because I hate rings anyway..
And musical instruments are cooler and cheaper.
You could just get a guy to get engaged to you and BEG him for a violin instead of a ring.
*"Cannot stop thinking about guitars*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I want someone to give me a pony. Or a vintage Jaguar convertable, in British Racing Green, tan leather interior. Either/or.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I want that too!!

The Jag, not the pony. Horses are the devil.

Though personally I prefer a vintage Corvette Stingray convertable.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh, also a nice choice.

I actually don't know where I would keep a pony, so instead I want an Irish Wolfhound.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Eljay, ponies are easy to potty train and take as little room as a Wolfhound (I know someone who keeps one in their house).

I have an aweosome 60s convertible already so I'll go with wanting a pony, though a Shelby Cobra wouldn't be bad.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
For ElJay (or maybe if her boyfriend reads this....)

FG

edit: or maybe he can better afford This

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:

Minor obstacle, we can adapt
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
I want someone to get engaged to me and to give me an ESP Viper, left handed or a left handed baritone electric guitar instead of an engagement ring because I hate rings anyway..
And musical instruments are cooler and cheaper.
You could just get a guy to get engaged to you and BEG him for a violin instead of a ring.
*"Cannot stop thinking about guitars*

Good violins are by no means cheaper than engagement rings. The ones that violinists really want can be anywhere between 2,500 to 6,000,000 dollars.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I want a Mini Cooper S, in the british racing green, but with cream leather interior.

Tony keeps telling me he'll buy me one but somehow I doubt it.

quote:
Good violins are by no means cheaper than engagement rings. The ones that violinists really want can be anywhere between 2,500 to 6,000,000 dollars.
Sure, if you want to play profssionally. I played for 11 years, and my best violin was one we got second hand (from a violin maker and restorer) for about $700. That was with a trade in on my 3/4 suzuki model, which was probably a few hundred - so say, for $1000 you can get a really nice violin.

I still have the fiddle. It's got the most beautiful low register: the G string sound is to die for. I really should play more often.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I had a very nice one when I was younger... worth about $4,500. But I found one I really, really liked for $1,500 and that's the one I still have.
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.