FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I used Hatrack today

Author Topic: I used Hatrack today
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
So I had a college interview down in NW DC today. My dad and I arrived early, so we hung out at Starbucks for a bit.

Anyway, the guy asks me my favorite classes, hobbies, interests, favorite books and movies. You know the deal. He actually mentioned that he's never interviewed someone who was accepted. I suppose it's kind of a hard school to get into, but it isn't really my #1 choice, so I spent some time just talking to him.

The interview went pretty well, and now that I think about it I should have asked for advice here before I went... meh.

When he asked what extracurricular activities had influenced my thinking or helped with my schoolwork I mentioned Hatrack as one of them.

"So you can just go online to this one place and talk about books, politics, current events, movies, whatever?"

I nodded. He thought it was pretty cool.

Just sayin'.

(:

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I used Hatrack today
I hope you at least bought it flowers, first.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

*throws a shoe*

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
<shoe'd>

I've been shoe'd!

Seriously though, that's pretty awesome. Who knew Hatrack could possibly be a benefit to college admissions?

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
So when do you learn if it was enough to get you in???

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

April, sometime. I didn't apply for early action anywhere (stupid me), so I get word around March/April from all the schools I applied.

--j_k

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:
April, sometime. I didn't apply for early action anywhere (stupid me)

Unless you were really set on going to one specific place, that's probably a good thing. In my opinion, you're better off keeping your options open.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So I had a college interview down in NW DC today
Georgetown?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:

I've been shoe'd!

Shod [Taunt]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He actually mentioned that he's never interviewed someone who was accepted.
the question to have asked is whether he's just really harsh, or if he just got unlucky...

[Eek!]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*throws a shoe*

--j_k

Who throws a shoe? Honestly man you fight like a woman (no misogeny intended)
[ROFL]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(no misogeny intended)
Well, in that case I won't get offended. Probably.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I would totally not mention that I hang out on websites to anyone "official". Lots of people, particularly old people, have a real prejudice about that, and might think you're very weird if you tell them. Hopefully this guy was not like that. He sounded pretty positive about it. And I expect that academic people are among the least prejudiced. But honestly most people I know IRL who are my age or older think it's bizarre to have online friends and an online intellectual life. They're wrong, of course, but when you're trying to get in their college is not generally the time to teach people new things. [Big Grin]

Good luck with your application, nevertheless. Hopefully hatrack was a help to you, as you feel, and not a hinderance as I fear. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
quote:
April, sometime. I didn't apply for early action anywhere (stupid me)

Unless you were really set on going to one specific place, that's probably a good thing. In my opinion, you're better off keeping your options open.
Early action is different from early decision in that while you find out whether you've gotten in months before the regular decision applicants, you are under no obligation to attend there. There's really no downside to applying early action except that you have to get the application in insanely early, and most people haven't narrowed their list down completely at that point.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
So I had a college interview down in NW DC today
Georgetown?
*nods* A 45-second walk away from the Dupont Circle red line station.

[edit] Oh... whoops, misread that. That's where the interview was, not the college.

quote:
Who throws a shoe? Honestly man you fight like a woman (no misogeny intended)
*thwaps*

this'll be P2K. w00t.

--j_k, who won't forget to log his brother off next time. maybe

[ January 29, 2006, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
<=== Accepted Hoya class of 2010
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

whoa... I misinterpeted dag's post. The interview was in the Georgetown area (a friend tells me that DuPont Circle is Georgetown, but he could be wrong) but Georgetown wasn't the school.

--j_k

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
what was the school?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

Yale

--j_k

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
wait, Yale in DC?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

The interview was with an alumnus who worked in DC.

I really don't expect to get in, but hey, their application wasn't as confusing as some of the others; by that point I already had several essays written (groan) and recommendations, so I filled it out when it came in the mail.

--j_k

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Yale's campus is absolutely gorgeous. I applied there for grad school, but that was my "yeah, right" application. Didn't get in, but it wasn't a surprise. I was just a little disappointed that I didn't get to live with all the pretty old buildings. [Razz]

Anyway, good luck, and congrats for getting an interview with them!

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.