FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Omohide poro poro (Only Yesterday)

Author Topic: Omohide poro poro (Only Yesterday)
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a movie the other day on TCM called Only Yesterday. It's an animated Japanese movie. The closest description I can think of is coming of age, but it's really like no movie I've ever seen.

The animation is a realistic style for the most part, but makes excellent use of the freedom availble in animation to show emotions via brief, unrealistic scenes.

I thought the movie was good until the very end (during the credits). At that point it jumped to great.

Certain movies turn on a major, life-changing realization by the main character. This movie depicts that better than any movie I've ever seen. Every single thing that's happened in the movie suddenly and visibly acts on the main character, and the decision she makes is absolutely believable.

Plus, I realized that the Japanese version of "Some say love/it is a river" is better than the english.

I highly recommend this movie for anyone in a contemplative mood. Watch the subtitled version. [Smile]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
It's one of Takahata's better movies, IMO.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it, too, Dag. It was really amazing, and I definitely agree about the ending. I watched the whole thing, and, until the end, I was thinking, "Well, that was ok, but he's no Miyazaki."

And then the credits...wow. I was overwhelmed.

And then watching the movie over again, with the ending in mind.

For what it's worth, I don't think there is a dubbed version.

Oh, and I watched Pom Poko, which came on immediately afterward. I don't think it was nearly as good--much more heavy-handed.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
And then watching the movie over again, with the ending in mind.
I haven't gotten to do that yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

quote:
For what it's worth, I don't think there is a dubbed version.
Excellent. I wasn't sure, but it's a standard piece of advice when discussing Japanese movies.

quote:
Oh, and I watched Pom Poko, which came on immediately afterward. I don't think it was nearly as good--much more heavy-handed.
We don't watch movies where the racoons are good guys in our house.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

You have an anti-raccoon bias, eh? Understandable. [Smile]

Anyway, you really didn't miss much.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ironically, Netflix has Pom Poko but not Only Yesterday.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Darn little rabid terrorists are taking over, even the movie selection at Netflix. [Mad]

Just 'cause they're cute doesn't mean I don't know what they're up to.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
There's some big Raccoons!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Strange. I just talked to my dad and he happened to see this movie on TCM, too. He strongly recommended it to me. Unfortunately, my favorite video place doesn't have it, which means that it's highly unlikely that anyone else in town does either. I guess I'll have to wait until I visit my dad to see it, as he said he would be buying it.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
They're not really raccoons. They're not even that closely related to raccoons, they just happen to look like them. I watched Whisper of the Heart, AKA Mimi o Sumaseba, and I liked that. I didn't get a chance to see Only Yesterday.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Ironically, Netflix has Pom Poko but not Only Yesterday.

I think this may be because it's not released on DVD yet--at least, not according to IMDb, anyway. Amazon seems to agree that it hasn't been released yet.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

It hasn't. Neither has Whisper of the Heart. I'd thought Pom Poko hadn't, but it must have, I guess.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
The impulse to make a dobbie is almost unbearable. Must...resist...the...temptation.
Thank goodness this is a family friendly site and I respect the host.

*Runs off to other thread*

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Only Yesterday, Whisper of the Heart, and Totoro, I think, are in the next wave of Ghibli films to be released by Disney. Oh, and probably Howl, too.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oolung
Member # 8995

- posted      Profile for oolung   Email oolung         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Miyazaki is one of the best directors ever. What I love in hos movies is that while they are perfectly good for children of any age to watch, they are also so wise and moving that you can never still watch them as a grown up and have a great time. A rare thing.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Eve and I decided that the little girl version of Taeko reminded us of Ramona Quimby, both in looks and actions.

I was misled by this page into thinking it was available on DVD for the U.S. region.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

Apparently they aren't actually planning on releasing Only Yesterday at this point. Though it being well recieved on TCM will probably push it into being released.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I hope so.
Megan
Member # 5290

Me, too. Until then, I'm just gonna leave it on my tivo. [Big Grin]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

*turns green with envy*
Megan
Member # 5290

Sorry. [Wink]

*hugs tivo*

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.