FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is this true?

Author Topic: Is this true?
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard rumors that it's really not good to wash your hair every day. I've always thought it was a sound idea, but I was wondering what Hatrackers thought about it. Would you be disgusted if I went a day without showering?

[ January 30, 2006, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: Evie3217 ]

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
This is what Alice says.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You can shower without washing your hair. There are also baths. I only wash mine 1-2 times a week. And yes, there are days when I don't bathe, especially being pregnant and having a toddler around. I don't do a lot of physical exertion, though, and it doesn't seem to bother anyone.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 

[Addit: Darn it, Val!]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Personally, I do not wash my hair every day. I have the driest skin known to man (and woman) and if I were to wash it daily it would make my scalp itch something crazy. I've tried different brands of shampoo (both store and salon bought) but it makes no difference.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

[Wink] Beat ya!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

Mine was more complete. [Taunt]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it also depends where you live. When I'm in Hawai'i, I shower at least every day, sometimes twice because I just don't feel clean. In Seattle, which is less humid, and even more so in drier places, I don't feel the need to bathe as often because the sweat dries off a lot faster.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I shower every day regardless of where I am, and in California I wash my hair every other. In Hawaii I need to wash it every day.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

(I'm also not cool enough for the okina.)
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

See, I'm just trying for the cool. Pretend long enough and you never know!

Edit - actually, when I took modern history of Hawai'i, we had to include in our essays. it's kind of just a habit now.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

When I first got to California I did it...but that was to point out just how incorrectly my mainland friends pronounced it. Now they all say it my way. Screw acclimation. Everyone else can acclimate to me.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

See, if I tried that, I'd get beat up. So I'm forced to be snide and slip it in while the philistines are unawares.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't wash my hair every day and I regularly get compliments from friends and hairstylists that my hair looks like a shampoo commercial models'. I get this most often when I'm on the off days.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

You all have good answers, and I agree with you. I honestly don't think it's a good thing to wash your hair every day.

Plus, I'm too lazy. [Razz]

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends. I don't, and I probably should, but I know people who both wash every day and very rarely wash who don't have gross hair. Usually.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(I'm also not cool enough for the okina.)
Neither is Juxtapose, since it should be Hawai`i, not Hawai'i.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
My hair gets really, really greasy and horrible after a single day. There is no question; I must shampoo daily.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
My scalp gets itchy if I don't wash it every day, or at least most days of the week. So I wash it a lot. Doesn't seem to cause problems.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I do not wash my hair every day. When I'm not running every morning, I don't shower every day, either. But if I run, I have to shower and at least rinse my hair.

If I'm just putting it up (I have long hair) and taking a bath, I will sometimes only wash it two or three times a week. If I'm rinsing it, I have to wash and condition it every-other time or it gets horribly snarled. Experiment and see what works best for you. [Smile]

(Primal Curve does have very nice hair.)

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Some ethnicities have hair so water repellent, that even if they stick their head under the shower they are barely wet. It's bizzare, and seems to be a property of the skin as much as the hair and independent of the length of hair.

I step out of the shower dripping wet, leaving soggy wet footprints on down the hall not just the mat. Steve steps out of the shower and is already practically dry! His towel is never as wet either.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Valentine014:
Personally, I do not wash my hair every day. I have the driest skin known to man (and woman) and if I were to wash it daily it would make my scalp itch something crazy. I've tried different brands of shampoo (both store and salon bought) but it makes no difference.

Try washing with a (cheap! very important) conditioner.

Seriously. Try Alberto VO5 Sun-Kissed Raspberry or White Rain Extra Body conditioners, usually less than $1 at any grocery or drugstore. They don't have any silicones (which is a problem for "washing" with almost any pricey conditioner, as this will leave your hair feeling greasy unless you shampoo, too), and they don't have any sodium laureth or lauryl sulfate, which seems to provoke itchness in some people.

(I know, I know, Paula Begoun of Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me says that SLES isn't a problem. Still, the condtioner-only washing seems to help some people with tight, itchy scalps.)

Remember -- it has to be a cheap conditioner like those mentioned above. (Those are the two I've tried.) Work it in well in wet hair, massaging it into the scalp. The scalp massage is important to dissolve (?) the sebum. Use more than you think you need -- literally, a handful or two, if you have long hair. Wait a few minutes, then rinse very thoroughly. You'll be surprised at how much lather there is.

When it works, it does spectacularly. I've also found my hair to be less oily overall, as I don't "strip" the natural oils from the scalp.

On the other hand, it doesn't work for some. I figure it's worth a shot, though. For me, no more tight, itchy scalp. [Smile]

----------

Edited to add: I conditioner-wash my hair two or three times a week, and every other week or so, I use shampoo, too. In high school and college, I was washing my hair daily, and it still would get oily at the roots, although the ends dried out. Much better now.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually wash my hair every day. When I'm running late and don't have time to wash my hair, I make a point not to let the brush hit my scalp. I'll pick the hair up close to my head and untangle it with a brush. That way, the oil isn't distributed onto my hair, making it look oily. I discovered this after finally noticing that my hair would look fine the second day until I brushed it and distributed the oil everywhere. It took me entirely too long to realize that.

But generally, I like to wash it everyday.

This brings up a question of mine... I've heard women (on various forums/boards) state emphatically that if women didn't wash their hair every day in the FIRST place, their heads wouldn't produce so much oil to make up for the stripping of oils that happens when its washed. Do you all find this to be true? And if you wash your hair everyday, can you "train" your hair to behave when not washed daily?

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I wash mine every other day, but I take baths nightly. Bathing and hair washing are separate events for me - I soak in the tub and wash myself before bed every night and I wash my hair in the sink in the mornings.

I have very oily hair, but washing every other day doesn't seem to affect it. I have noticed that if I skip a day and let two days go between washing, like I do occasionally now when I'm really sick with the chemo, that my hair does begin to feel greasy and heavy. I think every other day works about perfect for me.

I don't brush it very often now, because every time I do clumps of hair come out. [Frown] But I agree with Katarain, that brushing from the scalp down does distribute the oil and make it look worse if it isn't all that clean.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually currently growing my hair out for Locks of Love. It's driving my wife nuts because it's only NOW reached the ponytail stage and I still have another year plus of growth before I can donate anything.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've heard women (on various forums/boards) state emphatically that if women didn't wash their hair every day in the FIRST place, their heads wouldn't produce so much oil to make up for the stripping of oils that happens when its washed. Do you all find this to be true?
It's funny you should say that, because I was just going to say something about it. I wash my hair every day in the summer, and every other day in the winter (except for some reason, when I wash it on Sunday morning, it still needs to be done again on Monday [Dont Know] ). When I'm regularly washing it every day, if I skip a day, it seems really greasy. But when I switch to every-other-day, after a few days or so it seems to adjust to the new washing schedule and doesn't build up oil as much.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
Primal, that's awesome. Truly awesome.

My hair tends to be oily. I wash it daily, although I have been known to skip a day and just go around in a ball cap...

Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

quote:
I'm actually currently growing my hair out for Locks of Love
I did that. It felt so amazing being able to donate my hair (I have very thick hair). I commend you Primal Curve
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I bathe daily, but only wash my hair about every 3 days. Every hairdresser I've ever had said not to wash hair daily.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be out of line to bring up some issues that Locks of Love has had with the Better Business Bureau (or rather, vice versa)?

I'm just asking in advance because I know this can be a touchy subject. I don't want to step on any toes.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.