FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Weird but neat but weird.

Author Topic: Weird but neat but weird.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
World's first face transplant doing well, photographed for first time.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Weird but neat but weird.
Yeah. I basically agree. That's amazing that they can do that, but... woah.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I've been curious to see what she looked like! I wish they'd posted a before (and by this I mean pre-accident) picture along side that one.

Is it just me or did that article kind of fall apart toward the end? It seemed like an editor had deleted a lot of text without a lot of regard for how coherent they left the article.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Yeah, I was wondering how big a change it was, too. I'd actually like to see a before picture of the donor, as well, so we could see the recipient's original face, with bone structure, the donated face, and the"combined face, and see how much putting it on a different person changed the way it looked, and if we could recognize the recipient's original bone structure underneath. But that could be tricky for the donor's family. Still, I'm sure it'll all be in a medical textbook someday, and then on wikipedia. [Smile] If it's not already. . .
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

According to wiki she's signed a documentary deal, so we'll probably at least get her before picture, as well as a video of the operation. Which I will not watch. [Smile]
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, medical videos squick me out too. I could never be a doctor.

I have this weird thing where I don't like people touching my collar bones. I don't know where it came from but it's pretty strong. I become acutely aware of the existance of my collar bones and their ability to break whenever I watch those videos.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Woah, neat. I want to see other pictures, too!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. More pictures would be good, although I have to say that she looks amazingly well for someone who just had a major operation a few months ago.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the renewed chain-smoking a really bad idea with a transplant?

But yeah, very cool. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty amazing for such an extensive surgery. Does anyone know how she ended up having it? It doesn't exactly sound like she funded the thing, and I'm sure that there are other people who have been badly damged in the face. Did she just happen to be a really good match?
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
"Don't you think that's weird? Not weird weird, but like, exciting weird?"
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Ricree, I read a bit about this when they were looking for a subject. Basically there was a doctor who wanted to do this new procedure and they screened volunteers among people who had severe facial damage. Candidates were judged based on a lot of factors, including psych evaluations to make sure they were likely to be able to cope with wearing somebody else's face.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
No matter what, good for her.
That said, I'm not sure that chain smoking is the best way to start out with her new opportunity.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.