FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The dangers of carrying an ipod

Author Topic: The dangers of carrying an ipod
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
The worst part about owning an ipod is people asking to look at it.

Suddenly, anyone from the closest friend to the loosest acquaintance has a nice window into your mind.

I used to be really paranoid about people scrolling through my nice portable music collection and seeing all the nerdy podcasts I subscribe to, those guilty pleasure albums that are mock-worthy, etc. You can learn alot about people from the music they listen to..and that's not always a good thing.

My roommate had a classmate (practically a stranger) grab her ipod while on a roadtrip to an audition. My boyfriend hijacked mine today only to roll his eyes when he saw Dashboard Confessional on my Artist list (I have to have a copy of "Ender Will Save Us All" darnit). Thank goodness he hasn't asked me to explain my obsession with Japanese rock and Bollywood soundtracks.

There should be some ipod ettiquette or something. I've deleted all my photo months ago because I was worried about people seeing my large collection of assorted Harry Potter fanart or dorky pictures from my high school years.

The hijacking really has to stop. But the best part is those people who get offended when you refuse to let them browse your soul with a touch-wheel.

Anyone know how to politely stop these vultures?

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry if they get angry when you tell them no nicely, they are invading your space. Your music collection is much like a journal, therefore it seems like you have the right to regulate its circulation.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
<shrug> Just do what my friend does when guys approach her for her number: smile and say, "No, thanks."
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, considering I've got a communal iPod (I share it with anyone and everyone), I've never had this problem.

Seriously, I think it's maybe once a week that I listen to mine without someone else using the other earbud.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Get a cattle prod.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
*blush* I just did that today. The guy who was cleaning our fish tanks at work had one and I had to see it. I didn't grab it but he gave me a preview. Xavier and I are currently in the market for an mp3 player (see his thread) so when I see someone with one, I need to inspect it.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was going to be about how some new study proves ipods cause cancer or something like that...

You shouldn't be embarrassed by your taste in music. If someone asks why you have something on it, just say "I felt like it" or some other equally dismissing statement.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm. That's never happened to me.

...but that's probably because whenever I have my iPod on, I look like I don't want to be bothered.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have an ipod, but I do feel odd when people ask to flip through my sketchbooks. Now, I do share a lot of my artwork with people, but some of the sketches in my books are not very good. Others are personal. I like to pick and choose what I show to people. Also, if I'm doing something for someone specific, NOBODY has the right to see it but the person who requested it.

Not to, um, hijack your thread. [Blushing]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Japanese rock?
You like Japanese rock?
Do you like the best band ever DIR EN GREY?!?!?!

*Rabid Dir en grey fanatic*

How I wish I had an ipod....
But I got to save money for other things.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I like J-Pop myself.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine who's a former NYC cop bought one, and the first thing he did was buy a pair of nondescript earphones to replace the signature white ones, so that nobody would know he had an ipod.

Of course, he did this mainly to stop himself being a target of theft, but the same principle might apply here - if nobody knows you have it, they can't seize upon it.

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Guilty pleasures are guilty pleasures, and everyone has them. Anyone who says differently is lying. No shame in that. I don't need to be mentally exercised by ALL the music I listen to. Myself, I'm partial to cerain R. Kelly songs, although my brain now has the bad habit of turning them into Chapelle parodies. But oh well. Also, everybody tells me the Black Eyed Peas sold out, but I still like em okay.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

This is the remix edition of the song about pissin'...

Yeah, guilty pleasures abound - my mp3 collection includes a sizable dose of Jimmy Eat World, boy bands, a capella, Get Up Kids, and other crap that I'm hesitant to admit listening to. But there you have it.

And for the record, Juxtapose, Fergie was the downfall of the Black Eyed Peas.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Um. I have boy bands on my iPod.

But I guarantee that my collection doesn't compare to erosomniac's one.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

And if you think THAT'S bad, you should hear the crap I WRITE...
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard of them, Synesthesia. I usually just grab songs from animes I like. Know where I can download/listen to some of their stuff?

I've got boybands but I erased the names from the Artist category. Even I can't explain that away.

The worst was the first time I turned down my boyfriend for wanting to see. He reached for it without asking and I flipped out. He has really sophisticated taste and I was worried about any judgments he would have made early in our relationship. He was ticked for a week. He thought I was hiding something or thinking bad of him for having high tastes. It was a big disaster for such alittle thing.

I always have mine out (most of the time though mine is acting up this week so its been staying home.) Hiding it is too much work.

I'm glad to talk to someone who sees mine and has questions cause they're thinking about buying their own, but why can't they fathom that I don't want them playing around with it? I'd love to put some HP fanfics in my note section to read between classes but the last thing I need is a classmate stumbling onto my slash.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably soulseek...
There stuff is intense and good..
They are my favourite band ever.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.