FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Belts Die!

Author Topic: Belts Die!
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
This was just a doomed accessory from the start. Nothing about the belt ever worked well. The pants already fit? Still need a belt. The pants are too loose? The belt is too tight. Colors, textures, blah, its all a horrible cluster-bomb of bad clothes engineering.

I have one (1) belt. I bought it at old navy in the 8th grade, so, like seven years ago. Its the braded leather variety. I am finished. If this belt doesn't work for a pair of pants, too bad, I'd rather spend the whole day hitching up my jeans like an idiot teenager than subject myself to the woes of a belt [Big Grin]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
ok.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I love wearing a belt, and feel naked without one.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
^
|

second.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mindbowels
Member # 7407

- posted      Profile for Mindbowels           Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro- You must be a CS major/graduate. Are the jeans by any chance black? [Wink]
Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
I have three belts and they do serve a purpose, they help hold my jeans up while I loose weight. Or at least they will till I get smaller jeans. [Wink]
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember being lost in downtown Atlanta in the heat of the summer when the fanbelt in my car broke. This was before the days of the cellphone, when you could just call for help. So I locked up the car and trudged off and looked for a phone, called AAA, trudged back to my car, waited for a couple of hours, as the light waned and the night fell, trudged back to the payphone, called again, and was told that the tow truck was at my car, but they radioed that I wasn't there, so they were leaving, and I begged the dispatcher to tell them to stay until I ran back to the car, which I did, just as they were driving away (but towards the direction that I was running), so I jumped out into the street and wildly flagged them and got them to go back to my car and tow it (and me) to safety.

Since then, I have also distrusted belts. Have you ever tried these, instead?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitsune
Member # 8290

- posted      Profile for Kitsune   Email Kitsune         Edit/Delete Post 
Belts are fun [Frown] Everybody nowadays wear them outside the hole-part-thingies of the jeans. [Smile] It is said to create a waist for the waist-handicapped and to be a nice pretty accessory to further complete an outfit. Like a necklace. What does a necklace do, anyway?
Posts: 147 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kitsune:
What does a necklace do, anyway?

Do? It doesn't DO anything! That's the beauty of it.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah for braces. That is a benefit of the winter season. One can wear sweaters, therby masking an induldgence in suspender use, without exibiting a trend toward fogyness. I use the red ones for every day, and the blue ones with NEVADA woven in for best dress.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I have one studded belt. I rarely ever wear it. It annoys me because it's a vegan belt, so it'll never get all nice and soft like a leather belt would.

Also, nowadays all the cool kids are supposed to wear their belts buckled to one side, and I can never figure out what the proper side is.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, nowadays all the cool kids are supposed to wear their belts buckled to one side
Really? How did I miss this trend?
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

It's totally the thing to do. I kind of like it because the buckle off to the side makes the hip/stomach look flatter (since my pants and belts inevitably end up hanging about my hipbones). But like I said...which side? Which side, I ask?!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I own one belt and I only bought it for my Miho costume for Halloween.

And pH, I wore the buckle off to the left, so that's obviously the cool way to do it. [Wink]

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Reticulum:
I think belts are for Jews. We don't like to spend money

WTF? That's the second time today! I'm not appreciating your innuendo and disparaging remarks. You take it back and apologise.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
I take it back, but only because I want to, you didn't make me. [Wink]

I sincerely apoligize Tante, I did not mean to offend you.

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Tante, that is a racist stereotype. [No No]

You should apologize Reticulum.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Never mind, you already did.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Not racist. Predjudist. I reserve the right to make fun of myself. Freedom of Speech does indeed exist on the internet. I will never do it again on these boards seeing as how offensive it is.

Let the non-hostile feelings resume!

[Smile]

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Once again, sorry.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

OK! Forgiven.
[Wave] <-- that's me shaking hands
[No No] <-- or is it this?
[Taunt] <-- or this?

Reticulum
Member # 8776

Horray! No one is mad anymore!

[Party]

Reticulum
Member # 8776

You ever notice everyone says hating any type of person is racist? It's annoying. Hating a religion or a person from a certain part of the country, or planet is PREDJUDIST. Racist is against someone of a certain race, and Predjudist is everything else.

No hard feelings Advent. [Wink]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I really try not to point this sort of thing out, but you've been misspelling "prejudiced" pretty consistently. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I KNEW IT!!! I was wondering how to spell it. I knew I was close, but that proves it. Thanks Tom!
Advent 115
Member # 8914

I'm glad that Tante forgave you Reticulum.
Your not such a bad guy.

I should know, I almost made a form of government with you. [Big Grin]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was wondering how to spell it.
I would just like to point out that there is no excuse for continuing to misspell a word you suspect yourself of misspelling. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm constantly surprised that people don't know (or don't care) that there are dictionaries available online.

Merriam-Webster

American Heritage Dictionary

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

And were hearing this from Jon boy, that is truly halarious.

Goo' Nigh' Jon boy!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Reticulum
Member # 8776

Funny you should say I'm not such a mean guy, for once one of my friends wrote a one act play for our assignment called; "The day Josh ran out of Insults" and another one wrote, "The day Josh got Human emotions"

I laughed of course. Thought it was halarious.

Evie3217
Member # 5426

I hate to be a bother, after everyone commented on your spelling, but you've also been spelling "hilarious" wrong. I think it was mentioned in another thread as well.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Darn! Is it really that big of a deal? I mean honestly, it is a simple mistake. So yes, you are a bother.
Evie3217
Member # 5426

*ignoring previous statement*

Personally, I would wear two belts, one with the buckle to the right, and one with it to the left. Then I would make SURE to be cool at all times.

Reticulum
Member # 8776

*growls*

[Wink]

Caught up in the moment. Sorry.

Reticulum
Member # 8776

I have just had a streak with bad spelling today. Don't worry, it'll be gone tomorrow.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
I have just had a streak with bad spelling today. Don't worry, it'll be gone tomorrow.

Umm, I think that should be "I have just had a streek with bad spelling". Funnier that way.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You can also just punch in define: wurd into google. And if you just misspell it by a little bit, it'll say, Did you mean word?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
It's totally the thing to do. I kind of like it because the buckle off to the side makes the hip/stomach look flatter (since my pants and belts inevitably end up hanging about my hipbones). But like I said...which side? Which side, I ask?!

-pH

Ummm. Ph, you never just looked at someone else's belt and.. did the math? [Wink]
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitsune
Member # 8290

Hehe, I do it to the left too [Smile] ! I thought that's just how it's done. Maybe if you're lefthanded you might be inclined to do it to the right?
Posts: 147 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Ummm. Ph, you never just looked at someone else's belt and.. did the math? [Wink]
I don't pay enough attention to them kids and their newfangled fashions, with their devil music and their digital watches.

-pH

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

The thing I don't like is when people buckle off to the side, then tuck the shirt in only where the buckle is, but leave it untucked the rest of the way around.

Or, as it's known at my house, the frat-tuck.

pH
Member # 1350

I've never seen a frat boy with his belt buckled off to one side.

-pH

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Do us all a favor and prove it.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Oh, don't walk through LSU's campus then.
Kitsune
Member # 8290

I thought only girls do the side-buckle thing. Girls want to draw attention away from their stomach area, but wouldn't guys want to draw attention to their stomach area?
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
What an odd trend.

I myself like belts. I have serious difficulties finding clothes where the manufacturer paid any attention to, oh, I don't know, HIPS. I can never find pants that fit around both waist and hips properly. So I need a belt. Belts are good.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Kitsune:
I thought only girls do the side-buckle thing. Girls want to draw attention away from their stomach area, but wouldn't guys want to draw attention to their stomach area?

Scene boys do it all the time.

-pH

Kitsune
Member # 8290

AHHHH! Scenesters. I completely forgot about them.

To be seen is to be scene.

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I have to agree with the Belts Die! sentiment. There's nothing more annoying than trying on a pair of pants in your size only to find that the belt they've been paired with is about 6 sizes too small.

WHY DO THEY DO THAT?! Don't put skinny belts on fat clothes. It only makes us angry.

You wouldn't like us when we're angry.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.