FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Arrgh! Budgeting...

Author Topic: Arrgh! Budgeting...
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
unicornwhisperer! Why did you delete your thread? I was just about to give a bunch of good advice.

Well, I'm never one to waste good advice. On the question of "How do I manage to pay my rent when it's due before the month's first paycheck?" I wrote this:

It's a good idea to keep a cushion in your checking account to allow for this. Probably 75% of our monthly expenses occur in the first 15 days, but it's never a problem because I have unbudgeted money sitting there to cover it.

If you get paid every two weeks, then an easy way to build that cushion is to take your third paycheck (in the next month that has three) and count it as the first paycheck of the next month. That way you're always one paycheck ahead of your bills.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about that crowswife. I very much appreciate your advice.

I only get paid once a month. Marlozahn is in grad school and I only work Part time (because I am also a mom) so you could imagine how much income we bring in.... not much.
Thankfully he is going to graduate soon! YEAH!!

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we don't have that much wiggle room in our budget, either.

Is your place managed by an individual or a company?

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
SOrry...I didn't mean to sound mean or anything, I have had the same problem myself.

I found that rather than blaming them for wanting their money on the due date, if I blamed myself enough I would make the changes necessary to prevent it...or learn to lve with paying the fee.

[Big Grin]

Trust me, I know where you are comming from. [Big Grin]

Good luck!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. One paycheck a month does make things more difficult. As long as you are making enough money to cover the expenses, if only they were there after payday, you can use the credit card trick. In other words, pay as many of your bills that come after the paycheck with the credit card, so that you'll have money to cover the next month's rent. Then, when you get paid, pay off the credit card. Repeat each month.

Obviously, you have to be very careful not to overspend with this method. It really only works if you are obsessive about keeping track of every detail of your budget. But as long as you don't let it get out of control, it can help you essentially reschedule your bills for after payday.

Oh, and I give all of this advice after spending a year on a very lean budget, when my husband went from active duty military to retail management. I just had to tighten the budget even more, because my husband couldn't take the stress of management and asked to be demoted to a position that pays about 2/3 of what he used to make. And he'll be attending seminary starting this summer.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I understand what it's like to be on a very lean budget. Good luck!

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.