FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Today's Word Is..."Social"

Author Topic: Today's Word Is..."Social"
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
Social, social, social. Fun to say, easy to use. It means "of or relating to society."

Please, people, no more "societal." Ughh. <shudders>

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Does that mean that we're all part of a society here at Hatrack?
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
Societal has its uses.

Furthermore, social doesn't sound that good. [Wink]

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
We don't know today's word yet, The Colbert Report isn't on until 11:30.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
I still haven't started to like Steven Colbert as much as I like John Stewart. He Kicks the Colbert Reports butt every time.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
The Word is damned funny, though. I usually turn it off or tape it after that.

I'm still waiting for him to give up walking over to the seated guest though. It's driving me a bit nuts.

And I'm not sure half his guests have ever seen the show, because they don't seem to understand that he's lampooning conservatives and isn't really one of them. Mostly, they just seem surprised. And don't they know that he doesn't expect them to seriously answer his questions? He needs guests that are either smarter or quicker on their feet.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I'm not sure half his guests have ever seen the show, because they don't seem to understand that he's lampooning conservatives and isn't really one of them. Mostly, they just seem surprised. And don't they know that he doesn't expect them to seriously answer his questions? He needs guests that are either smarter or quicker on their feet.
Adam Corolla had the same problem - so he just got rid of his audience, and now does his show without one.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm talking about the actual guests he interviews.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

I agree that bit that he does of running over to the interview table.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree. I will not replace the word "societal" with "social", becuase "social" is less clear in some situations.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with Adam Corolla's audience is they never laughed at any of his jokes. Getting rid of them was the only solution, other than stuffing the audience with people paid to clap and laugh for him. The man just isn't that funny, sorry.

As for Colbert, he's getting a lot better at the interviews. I felt sorry for Jeff Daniels after Colbert's interview, it was a little rough. The fake interview with Russ Lieber was hilarious. I don't so much mind the interview area, and I agree he needs some better guests, but he's had some interesting interviews. The problem is, compared to Jon Stewart's interviews, they don't match up.

Jon has a lot of political savvy, and he's very smart. Which isn't to say that Stephen isn't, but he doesn't show it during his interviews.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I love his 434 part congressional district bit. Its friggin hysterical. there is no way he's going to get more than 40 to go through the hoops he sets up for them.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.