FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Cade" Skywalker? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Cade" Skywalker?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
So, late this spring Dark House comics will begin publishing Star Wars: Legacy.

Unlike previous Star Wars comics, this book will not take place during the original trilogy era, the prequel era, or any of the time periods currently being seen in the video games, cartoons, and novels.

It's supposed to be set 100 years after the most recent "New Republic" stories...and the main character ("Cade Skywalker) is either Luke's grandson, or his great-grandson.

Other than the series will be written by John Ostrander (who's a pretty good writer) not much has yet been revealed about it.

I find myself...interested.

Apparently the issue #0 of the new series will only be 25 cents. Can't hurt to check it out.

(Or so I suppose, sight unseen.)

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I find myself almost aggressively uninterested in the adventures of "Cade."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm, I'd say his grandson. After all I think I read that Luke got married eventually. And he is a Jedi, and for that matter Yoda lived to be like 800yrs old. So there should even be the possabllity that Luke could still be alive either way.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I find myself almost aggressively uninterested in the adventures of "Cade."

Since you give no reason why this is so, thank you for replying to my topic for the sole purpose of letting me know you have no interest in the topic! [Smile]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rabid Newz
Member # 7704

- posted      Profile for Rabid Newz   Email Rabid Newz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad I'm not a Star Wars geek. No offense Puffy.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Yoda lived to be 900 years old because of his race, not because he was one with the universe. Lukes dead. Or wearing diapens.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Rabid Newz:
I'm so glad I'm not a Star Wars geek. No offense Puffy.

If I take offense, it is because you limit my geekdom to Star Wars. [Wink]
Rabid Newz
Member # 7704

- posted      Profile for Rabid Newz   Email Rabid Newz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm limiting your geekdom.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
After all I think I read that Luke got married eventually.
Yup. He married Mara Jade, and in the NJO books (before I gave up and stopped reading them) they had their first child-- Ben. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oye... I stopped reading Star Wars with the NJO books. They destroyed the universe if you ask me. I might pick it up again with this comic... maybe...
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I stopped reading Star Wars with the NJO books. They destroyed the universe if you ask me.
Yup. I couldn't take it anymore about halfway in and gave it up.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the NJO did eventually get better again, to the point that it was no longer completely incoherent. There were just too many cooks.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried a few of the NJO books but could never get into them. Then, a few months ago I checked out one of the books that takes place during the clone wars.

I don't remember the title, but I read about three sentences and had to quit because the writing was so bad.

I'm guessing that's common for many novelizations.

Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave up on the third NJO books. I could just never get into them. I think it destroyed the universe too.

In response to the topic, for 25 cents, I guess it can't hurt to check it out.

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. That's 25 cents you're probably never going to get back.

And just think, you can get a five minute phone call for just a quarter.

Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, NJO killed it for me too. I only made it through the first two books before giving up. I did, however, find Timothy Zahn's last Star Wars book to be pretty good. He's one of the few Star Wars authors that I honestly enjoy, and they had gotten him involved in the NJO series I might have actually read them.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
You can get a five minute phone call for a quarter?

All the payphones I know charge at least fifty cents.... [Grumble]

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
NJO got pretty silly, but I stuck with it and finished the series. It got better. Still, I was less than thrilled with a lot of it.

I'm still considering whether or not I want to read the books that go beyond NJO, there's a lot of them planned.

As for Cade, I'd say great grandson. In the most recent Star Wars book, Ben Skywalker is already the apprentice of Jacen Solo, in another hundred years, it'd have to be Ben's son, or even his grand or great grandson.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

To be fair to the NJO, a lot of the previous stories were just as bad.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yes. Like Barbara Hambly's contributions. *shudders* I LOVE her other books. But she and SW do not belong together, obviously.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Series writer John Ostrander has popped up on the Dark Horse comics message boards to clarify: While Cade Skywalker -is- a direct descendant of Luke Skywalker, he's not necessarily also a descendant of Ben Skywalker.

So, Luke may have other kids in the upcoming "Legacy of the Force" novel series, or something.

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... the only expanded universe novels I've read are Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire trilogy. I loved those books. They felt like, well, a logical progression of Star Wars.

And Admiral Thrawn rules.

Anyway... I dunno if I'll read the NJO or not. It doesn't look very good, after all.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I loved the X-Wing books. Okay, I love Corran Horn, period. My favorite is I, Jedi. [Blushing]
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
Hmm... the only expanded universe novels I've read are Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire trilogy. I loved those books. They felt like, well, a logical progression of Star Wars.

And Admiral Thrawn rules.

Anyway... I dunno if I'll read the NJO or not. It doesn't look very good, after all.

I'd recommend reading the X-Wing series, followed by I,Jedi, and then reading the two Hand of Thrawn books. Most of the other books are really skippable.

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I loved the X-Wing books. Okay, I love Corran Horn, period. My favorite is I, Jedi. [Blushing]

I think that Stackpole is selling signed hardcover copies of I, Jedi on his website.
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I never read the NJO books. I heard they slaughtered a bunch of main characters or something so i never wanted to read that. It would depress me.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:

We're kindred spirits KQ. I just finished rereading I, Jedi last night. Corran Horn is my hero, and I, Jedi RULES!

And Mike Stackpole will sign ANY of his books that you send to him so long as you pay for postage and tell him who to sign it to. He specifically mentions I, Jedi, because apparently hardcover copies of the book are very hard to come by now.

I loves mine [Smile]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
An upcoming comic book series from Dark Horse called Star Wars: Legacy, which will be based a hundred years after the end of Return of the Jedi, will feature a direct descandent of Luke Skywalker known as Cade Skywalker. From an early biography of Cade, it is shown that he has completely abandoned the Jedi way and has become a bounty hunter. What lead him to turn away from the Jedi Order, and what happened with the Solo family line, remains to be seen.
According to Wikipedia.

So, it's 80 years after the last NJO storym give or take. And I find it very interesting that he won't be a Jedi, but a bounty hunter, a very powerful one at that. Luke and Mara would possibly still be alive. Jedi can still live much longer than the average person through using the Force. Interesting.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it is shown that he has completely abandoned the Jedi way and has become a bounty hunter.
This just does not interest me in the least.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Of course, many "completely abandoned the *blank* way" stories tend to be the story of how the character returned to said ways.

Lyrhawn, series writer John Ostrander said it'll be 100 years after the upcoming "Legacy of the Force" novels, which he indicated take place a bit after the NJO novels.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought there were more than two Hand Of Thrawn books? Didn't Zahn feature him in a trilogy?

I don't know, it's been a while since I read them (like, since they first were published), but I agree with the truncated recommendations of x-wing, I, Jedi, and the thrawn books.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
The Heir to the Empire Trilogy mentioned earlier was also about Thrawn but the Hand of Thrawn consisted of only two books.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Zahn also wrote "Survivor's Quest" concerning the remnants of the Outbound Flight. And he just published "The Outbound Flight", set before EpIII about Palpatine's dispatching of a number of Jedi on the flight and Thrawn. I'll probably get it today.
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I will also, Zahn handles the EU better than anyone, IMO.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by IanO:
Zahn also wrote "Survivor's Quest" concerning the remnants of the Outbound Flight. And he just published "The Outbound Flight", set before EpIII about Palpatine's dispatching of a number of Jedi on the flight and Thrawn. I'll probably get it today.

I'll have to look for that. I've been waiting for it to come out even since I read Survivor's Quest. I became disinterested in the SW universe after reading a couple of the NJO books, but I always look forward to the Zahn ones.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

Also check out the Dark Nest trilogy. New enemies whose threat is very real. And a nice tie in to the prequels, as well, since Luke discovers a segment of Artoo's memory concerning his father.
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Who writes the Dark Nest trilogy?
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

Troy Denning. He also wrote "Tatooine Ghost", which attempted (somewhat successfully) to have Leia come to terms with the Father she knew (the evil Dark Lord, Vader) with the boy/young man he was and his fall. I have mixed feelings about this book because there were absolutely great things and then there were areas where I was scratching my head.

The Dark Nest trilogy is pretty good. It's post NJO and deals with the ramifications of the new view on the force. It's the first in a new arch, The Legacy of the Jedi (I think that's the name). Occassionally, there were too many battles, but for the most part were well done and rather gritty. Not as machiavellian as, say, Cloak of Deception (a real masterpiece- Palpatine/Sidious is amazing) or Labyrinth of Evil. But still good.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't know, the Dark Nest trilogy is iffy to me. For me anyway, it's just too far departed from what I've always thought of as Star Wars. The focus is mainly on EU characters, with only a few of the original characters even left with major or even minor roles.

If that sort of thing doesn't bother you at all, then full steam ahead, but it's way the heck out there now, and I'm not sure yet how I feel about that.

IanO
Member # 186

Actually, Luke, Han, Leia, Artoo and Threepio all have very big roles. In fact, I'd guess that 3/4 of the trilogy is from their POV.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
For me anyway, it's just too far departed from what I've always thought of as Star Wars. The focus is mainly on EU characters, with only a few of the original characters even left with major or even minor roles.

And yet you like the X-wing books? [Wink]
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anti-Chris:
Yoda lived to be 900 years old because of his race, not because he was one with the universe. Lukes dead. Or wearing diapens.

Hey, there have been other human Jedi who have lived for over a hundred years and still kicked butt. I believe that Mace was at least a hundred.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
quote:
For me anyway, it's just too far departed from what I've always thought of as Star Wars. The focus is mainly on EU characters, with only a few of the original characters even left with major or even minor roles.

And yet you like the X-wing books? [Wink]
Wedge, Janson, Hobbie, Ackbar, Tycho, they were all characters that were in the movie.

By EU characters, I meant characters that were only created by authors in the EU.

I make an exception for Corran Horn. He's just amazing.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wedge and Ackbar were minor characters; Janson and Tycho were almost unnoticeable. Their character, per se, was created by authors in the EU.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Oh don't get all technical on me.

The EU that is now premised and focused on, as for that matter was MUCH of the second half of the NJO, second generation EU characters, if you think of first generation as characters created in or directly after the movies and then expanded upon.

When the story starts to focus on a bunch of Jedi that I've never heard of, and New Republic officials that I've never heard of, so on and so forth never heard of, as main characters, some of the magic is lost for me. Wedge, Corran, Hobbie, Luke, Mara, I think of them as part of the first generation. They're the generation of the Galactic Civil War. But that's over, and now Jaina, Jacen, Tenal Ka and Ben Skywalker are taking over so to speak.

I'll probably end up reading some of it, but I'm not as excited to get to it.

(Also, the X-Wing books were largely side events, they didn't deal with major crises like the NJO or Thrawn Trilogy did. Fighting Isard and Zsinj was part of a long slug match against the remnants of the Empire and theirs was, in many cases, just a piece of the war)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I was just teasing you. [Kiss] I think the X-wing books had more of the feel of the original movies than most of the books, regardless of characters.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I've just started reading Outbound Flight so I can't have a fully-formed opinion, but so far it's been pretty freaking great.

It has a bunch of characters from earlier T.Z. SW stuff, such as Thrawn (of course), C'boath (who I really want to learn about), and Car'das.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Oh, and regarding NJO: a bunch of it was garbage. Some was acceptable. Others were very good, such as Traitor and Destiny's Way-in my opinion.q
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Is Outbound Flight the one I saw labeled "AU", which I assume means "alternate universe"?
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Ummm...I have no idea, KQ. I'm nearly done with it and it does not appear to be an AU, and I saw no reference to it being so.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I finished it and it's definitely not alternate universe, KQ.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.