FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I had to share this...

Author Topic: I had to share this...
Silkie
Member # 8853

- posted      Profile for Silkie   Email Silkie         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this just had to be a joke, so I watched Thursday's episode of Jon Stewart a second time, just to be sure I wasn't imagining it - - - I wasn't!
quote:
On the first ballot for Majority leader to replace Tom delay, the results were not accepted. Why, you ask? Because there were more votes than there were voters present! A second ballot was taken because of the voting irregularities! (loosely quoted)

- - - CNN news

quote:
It's just that you wish you had to make these things up!

- - - Jon Stewart

Posts: 337 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
And.....Jon rocks.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. *sigh
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt this time and hope that there is a rational explaination for this.

If not, then

*facepalms

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
John stewart, RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silkie
Member # 8853

- posted      Profile for Silkie   Email Silkie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:
I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt this time and hope that there is a rational explaination for this.

If not, then

*facepalms

--j_k

I tried to find something on the CNN site about the news clip Jon showed. The only thing I could find was that (I think) one congressman's vote was counted twice, one vote for each of the two leading candidates. That situation - plus no clear majority - caused a runoff, and Blunt lost.
Posts: 337 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Could it have been this? It's from Jan. 30, 2006.
quote:
WASHINGTON - In the race to replace scandal-scarred Rep.
Tom DeLay as House majority leader, one contender claims 120 votes, another boasts 90 and the third says he has about 50.

They can't all be right, since the totals claimed by Republican Reps. Roy Blunt, John Boehner and John Shadegg far exceed the 232 lawmakers eligible to vote when the rank and file selects a new leader for an era of political peril.

Edit: Here's the CNN link:
quote:
One plus one equals three in GOP leadership race
Vote tallies exceed number of voting lawmakers

Monday, January 30, 2006; Posted: 9:37 a.m. EST (14:37 GMT)WASHINGTON (AP)

Same text in both links because it's an AP written article.

Anyway, it's obvious that lawmakers' claims of how many votes they had was mistaken and/or exaggerated. It does not appear there was voter fraud going on. [Smile]

[ February 06, 2006, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: JonnyNotSoBravo ]

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, I read somewhere that the confusion stemmed from the Puerto Rican Rep/observer getting to vote, but since he's only an observer, his vote doesn't actually count. They included his vote on the first count and it took a while (hour and a half ?) for someone to figure out the problem.

Sorry for lack of source, can't remember where I read it. I prefer this explanation to the 'they're corrupt/too stupid to count' ones.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.