FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Missing scene" in Sound of Music?

Author Topic: "Missing scene" in Sound of Music?
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
My partner swears up and down that there's a scene in the movie The Sound of Music that isn't on the DVD.

The scene she remembers is of Rolfe, out with a bunch of other brownshirts, singing Hitler Youth songs. When they get to a cafe, the patrons get up and start singing "Edelweiss" back at them.

I saw this movie in the theater when I was a kid. I've seen it over a dozen times. I don't have any memory of such a scene. I went to IMdb, and there's no mention of it under Alternate Versions.

Now she tells me that a mutual friend of ours remembers that scene as well. Does anyone else remember anything of the sort?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... I don't remember that scene, but I haven't seen it in many years, so I don't know how reliable my memory is. Good luck trying to find it though!
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds vaguely like the incident in Casablanca where the Germans begin singing "Wachet am Rhein," and the French reply with "La Marseilles."

But I definitely never remember that from Sound of Music.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a place in the film when something like that happens (and, yes, I thought of "Casablanca" when it took place), but I'm not sure if it as described, with Rolfe and his friends in a cafe, at the party that Captain von Trapp gives, or as part of the singing competition.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the kookiest thing I've ever heard.

I'm pretty sure your partner's wrong, Lisa [Smile]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of anything like that scene. We watched it all the time when I was a kid. My mom saw it on her first date with my dad. I'll ask her about it, but I'm sure she won't know anything about that scene.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The only scene close to that in Sound of Music is the singing competition itself. I'm fairly certain your friend is recalling Casablanca.

Apparently the resistance was tuneful.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Sound of Music two weeks ago; there was no such scene in the film I saw. Perhaps there is a different version of it somewhere, or the scene is in the book?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Leonide:
That's the kookiest thing I've ever heard.

I'm pretty sure your partner's wrong, Lisa [Smile]

Yeah, I am also.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean the book the movie was roughly based on? No. That book, written by Marie, I've read. It's really not much like the movie and I guarantee there was no singing Rolfes.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I realize this makes me a sap, but I'm such a sucker for Edelweiss. Probably because it's in my key.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall it was a Broadway play before it a movie. Perhaps the scene is in the play?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds *vaguely* like a scene in the Liza Minelli Cabaret. The random Hitler Youth guy stands up and sings "Tomorrow Belongs To Me". The crowd joins with him though, instead of against him.

It does *seem* like it's meant to be all heartwarming. The first time I saw Cabaret I was about 6, and when I saw it again later I was shocked to realize that that entire scene was supposed to be terrifying because it demonstrates how everyone was joining with the Nazis.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
when I saw it again later I was shocked to realize that that entire scene was supposed to be terrifying
Oh, yeah. In most stagings I've seen of it, it's downright grim.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few scenes in the stage version of Sound of Music that aren't in the film, but that scene definitely isn't one of them. I believe the "missing" scenes are mainly songs for the Baroness and Uncle Max, which were never in the film to begin with.

Maybe she's confusing the Captain getting the crowd to sing "Edelweiss" with him with a scene from something else? The Cabaret "Tomorrow Belongs to Me" scene sounds like a good candidate, although I haven't seen the film version in a while - I get it confused with the stage revival.

And I love how Cabaret has that double-edged sword quality...horrifying, but delicious. [Smile]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen the stage version of Sound of Music as well as the film (but never the DVD). There are some differences between the two, but I recall no Hitler Youth vs. Edelweiss showdown in either.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Theaca:
You mean the book the movie was roughly based on? No. That book, written by Marie, I've read. It's really not much like the movie . . .

It is a wonderful book, neh? [Smile]
quote:
Originally posted by Nell Gwyn:
There are a few scenes in the stage version of Sound of Music that aren't in the film, but that scene definitely isn't one of them. I believe the "missing" scenes are mainly songs for the Baroness and Uncle Max, which were never in the film to begin with.

Yup. The songs are on the soundtrack.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

They're really insightful songs. It's a shame they didn't make it into the movie, they would've added a little depth and some bite to Max and Elsa's characters.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Indeed.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Leonide:
They're really insightful songs. It's a shame they didn't make it into the movie, they would've added a little depth and some bite to Max and Elsa's characters.

Apparently, they thought that singing would make Elsa more of a sympathetic character.
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if it was a song about how she is the center of the universe?
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Father Time
Member # 7985

- posted      Profile for Father Time   Email Father Time         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a scene very close to this in the movie Cabaret (with Liza Minelli) where a Hitler youth stands and begins singing a German Folk song something about "tomorrow belongs to me"

Maybe they have the two confused?

Posts: 56 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
I realize this makes me a sap, but I'm such a sucker for Edelweiss. Probably because it's in my key.

[Smile]

It's not in my key (I'm a tenor two) but I'm debating using it as an audition piece next week, because I want to show my ability to dip low. It's funny that I saw this right at this moment, as I'm taking a break from trying out potential audition pieces. [Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

What role in what show are you auditioning for, Joe?
Icarus
Member # 3162

I'm trying a new approach this time: I never get the roles I audition for, so I'm not auditioning with any specific role in mind. :-p
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I've ruled out Edelweiss, because I have nothing to practice with.

I was half thinking of bending gender and going with "I Dreamed a Dream," but the stupid thing goes too low for me right around "with their voices loud as thunder."

[Grumble]

I'm likely to go with "Any Dream Will Do," even though it's tenor, because I can kick its butt (and they haven't heard me do it yet). But it seems like pretty much every part (in Fiddler) is baritone.

EDIT: I just realized you asked me what show. Oh well: Fiddler on the Roof

[ February 06, 2006, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, but I never got that song ("Any Dream Will Do"). I never understood what it was trying to say, or what it had to do with the story, other than the obvious mention of dreams. Nice tune, but what does it mean? Any dream will do for what?

Good luck Icarus! I'd love to play Tevye one day. Not going to happen in this lifetime, though!

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I would love to play Tevye, but I doubt it would happen because a) I'm not a baritone and 2) I'm not big enough/don't have a commanding enough presence. I also generally get character roles, not leads. (Although Tevye is a sort of character role.)

(I also think I'm too young at this moment to play Tevye.)

(And I also know of someone who's auditioning for the part who would be awesome.)

:-\

The problem is, though, there isn't really a part in there for me that isn't a huge stretch. I'm a tenor, and basically, the only tenor part is the tailor, which I would be horribly wrong for. Just about everything else is baritone--except the constable (?) who does not, as far as I can tell, sing at all.

I feel like I'm too good a singer to not sing at all, but too good an actor to be lost in the chorus. And then there's the enormous sacrifice that doing a show entails for me and my family, because I have two small children. And so, big ego aside, I just can't justify abandoning my family three to four nights a week for fifteen weeks or so, plus tech and performance weeks, for a bit part. I have to weigh everything against the cost and decide if it's worth it to be selfish.

[Dont Know]

I suppose I could do the constable, but on a certain level, it would hurt.

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Just because this looks like a nice place to brag...my brother just got the part of Joseph in oseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. at his high school. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

What about Perchik?
Icarus
Member # 3162

Who playes acob?

:-p

Icarus
Member # 3162

Pechik is a baritone, and I suspect I may be too old to play him.

(But who knows?)

rivka
Member # 4859

Um. What? [Confused]

I still don't know what an acob is.

But I'd think you look young enough to play Perchik. Isn't he older than Mottel -- at least, I've always thought that was implied?

No idea about tonal ranges of the characters. I love the musical, but I've always been in the audience. [Big Grin]

Icarus
Member # 3162

Sorry . . . I was teasing Valentine.
rivka
Member # 4859

Okie dokie. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.