FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » i cant get enough Mozart.

Author Topic: i cant get enough Mozart.
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
A few weeks ago i got a lucky suprise from my parents and they took me to a Mozart concert in princeton on his 250th birthday, and it was just an amazing show. Now after watching Amedeus, for some reason his life is just so interesting and compelling to me, am i just weird or does anybody else think of him in some similiar fashion?
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
meh, his work stands alone. I've read a few biographies, but I haven't seen Amadeus yet. I have gotten the impression however that it is quite far from "the truth." There is of course a huge tendency to point and say: "how odd he was!" Given that we feel comforted by explaining his incredible skill by alienizing him as a total wack-job. Maybe, maybe not. The music though? Magnifique.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
The same thing happened to me, especially when I first saw that movie.
The movie is not v ery historically accurate though, but the director presented interesting theories involving his death.
The movie is worth watching because it's DAMN GOOD. So I bought it on DVD.
I wish I had some sort of extensive biography of him in a way...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Mozart, but I really love Bach even more.

I was born to the Brandenburg Concertos. They're still one of my favorites. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rudolph
Member # 3236

- posted      Profile for Rudolph           Edit/Delete Post 
dvorak.
mozart is wonderful though.
and vivaldi.
yeah

Posts: 217 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
And Chopin.

Can't forget Chopin...

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
If you really want to know about Mozart as a person I would NOT recommend the movie "Amadeus". Not only is it historically inaccurate in many ways it's also a completely 1-dimensional characterization of him.

Terrible Movie.

Instead check out the book, "Mozart's Women: The Man, the Music, and the Loves in His Life" by Jane Glover.
Amazon.com link

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Last weekend, we did a birthday concert, playing the double piano concerto and the overture to Cosi Fan Tutte. The double piano concerto is a neat piece, if you get a chance, I think you'd like it. Most mozart kind of washes over me, but a few years ago, I played "The Grand Partita," the piece featured in Amadeus when Scalieri walks in and says, "an oboe from heaven," or something like that. It's a nice piece.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I, uh, actually really like "Amadeus." I don't necessarily like it for the historical accuracy, but rather for the story itself. And oh, the performances.

Good thing I just got done watching it [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
For a wonderful music about classical music, see Immortal Beloved. It is not about Mozart, but is one of the best treatments of music I have seen.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno about Mozart, but that Falco guy, woohee.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Terrible?
But the movie was stylish.
Worth seeing for the Don Giovanni part alone
Dang, I love that part of that opera!
All those gorgeous deep male voices! Gah! It's the best

What about Rachmoninov?
Tchichosky (sp)
Brahms?
Mendelsohn (Especially his Heberdies overture, why are so many classical things hard to spell?)
And Janacek with his Intimate Letters! I love Intimate Letter's third movement. Mmmmmmmm
And Faure! His music has a nice texture to it.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, let me qualify that. If you're looking for a fictional but entertaining movie that has a lot of Mozart's music in it then by all means watch "Amadeus".

Just don't expect to walk away from it with any real sense of who Mozart was.

A move about Mozart's music? Fine.
A movie about Mozart? Terrible.

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Amadeus is probably one of my favorite films of all times and peoples.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
We went to a brass concert tonight. My favorite number was from Mozart's 4th horn thingee.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that it's offical name?

I haven't heard of it...is it new? [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
That's strange, dkw, I heard the Chicago Symphony do the fourth horn concerto about three weeks ago. If you get a chance, I think that the Third horn concerto is lovely.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
...Mendelsohn (Especially his Heberdies overture, why are so many classical things hard to spell?)

I absolutely adore Mendelssohn's Hebrides Overture (Fingal's Cave). I love it to the utmost extreme of loving classical (okay, Romantic) music. Woo!

And I totally know what you mean when you say it's all hard to spell [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boogashaga
Member # 8881

- posted      Profile for boogashaga   Email boogashaga         Edit/Delete Post 
I especially enjoy Mozart's "I'm Inclined To Knock" music.
Posts: 101 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For a wonderful music about classical music, see Immortal Beloved. It is not about Mozart, but is one of the best treatments of music I have seen.
The acting is somewhat wanting in many areas, though.

I am also a fan of Amadeus-the-movie. I wouldn't say that it portrayed him one-dimensionally at all, however accurate it actually was.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.