FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Essential SF DVDs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Essential SF DVDs
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so I have a new DVD player, but the only DVD I have right now that's mine is Serenity. I'm planning on trying to get the LoTR DVDs, and possibly the Matrix DVDs (I liked those movies, ok! [Wink] ) but my knowledge of science fiction and fantasy movies has way too many holes in it. So what are some of the great SF movies that are must-haves on DVD? I've heard Blade Runner is good, and I'm a huge Philip Dick fan. Is the movie faithful to PKD at all and is it worth getting on DVD? Name all of the DVDs that are classic SF movies that you loved, chances are I haven't seen it. Thanks for any help.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Gattaca
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
12 Monkeys

Star Wars: Original Trilogy

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Dark City.

I second 12 Monkeys.

Starship Troopers.

More to come as I think of them.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
You should probably rent/borrow everything first to be sure that you like it. That said, here are some of my favorites.

I really liked Gattaca. I don't think it did all that well, theatrically, but then most sf doesn't.

Charlie Kaufman's films are great: Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, and Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind. Adaptation isn't really sf, but it's still good. Er, how old are you? I'm almost certain that all of these are rated R, so you might have to wait a bit for them.

Cube is a great character study, although the acting and the effects are often laughable. Be sure to get the original; I understand that the later movies are atrocious.

I think I enjoyed Solaris, but I don't really remember it. I think it was really late at night when I watched it and I slept through part of it.

Oh! Don't forget Mystery Science Theater 3000! Those are all either scifi or fantasy, I believe.

These are all that I can think of at the moment, I'm sure there'll be more.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Soylent Green .

Blade Runner is good, but dated, and not all that faithful to the story it is based on, Do Androinds Dream of Electric Sheep?. Still, it is a full length movie based on a short story. so it was good for it's time.

Gattica was good. OSC loved This one,IIRC.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Charlie Kaufman's films are great: Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, and Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind.
Oi, how did I forget THOSE? I suppose they're science fiction, after all.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Forget movies, go buy Invader ZIM.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Super Mario Brothers

Transformers: The Movie

Power Rangers: The Movie

Godzilla 2000

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
Forget movies, go buy Invader ZIM.

You could get that too.
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I third 12 Monkeys, that was a good one.

A Clockwork Orange is a good, although very nasty, movie. I can't stand to watch it anymore, but that's mostly because it's too good at getting inside the main character's head. *shudder*

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Signs
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Wow, thanks everyone. I'll be going on amazon soon and read about all of those movies and see which ones sound like something I'd like. I've seen Eternal Sunshine and I liked it alot. I'll see if I could get that one, it really was a great movie. And all of the other movies that were by Charlie Kaufman (the writer or director?) are all as good as Sunshine?

I just looked at Gattaca and that sounds really cool. I'll probably rent or buy that one.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

I loved Being John Malkovich. It's a really twisted movie, and it has both John Malkovich and John Cusack in it! But then, I really like both of them so I'm biased.

Adaptation was weird. I liked it, but for me it definitely ranks after the other two. This may have also been influenced by the fact that I don't really like Nick Cage or, um, the woman who played the author (too lazy to google right now). EDIT Meryl Streep!

Oh, and Kaufman is the writer.

--Mel

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

12 Monkeys, Soylent Green, and Dark City all sound really cool. Can I get a second opinion on Solaris? It sounds good, but Crowswife said she slept through some of it, so I just want to make sure it's good [Wink] .

Also, Kwea Do Androids Dream was a novel, not a short story.

edit: Gattaca is sort of pronounced the same way as Galactica, right?

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Heh, Invador Zim. I've seen that cartoon a couple of times. Is it still televised?
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so, but you can buy the DVDs (or do what I do and "borrow" them from your friends).
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the Future Trilogy
I, Robot
Terminator
Powder
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
The 6th Day. Maybe it's the 7th Day
Alien (s)
Star Trek: Wrath of Khan and First Contact. If you're feeling risky, through in Next Generations
War of the Worlds (Tom Cruise or Original, but I prefer Tom Cruise)
Men in Black
Equilibrium is a must.

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

Actually, Invader Zim is televised, but on Nicktoons (if you have cable, digital cable services). The DVD's are priceless. [Smile]
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

I'll second Gattaca, Equilibrium, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second Star Trek: First Contact. Woo!

Um... I'll add X-Men and probably X2. They're fun.
Oh, and if you're into TV series, get the new Battlestar Galactica. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I, Robot is very good too. So, I'm seconding it.

The original Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy DVD is good, the one from the 80's.

Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

Highly recommend BSG if you are doing TV series.
Celaeno
Member # 8562

I enjoyed the new Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but then, I've never seen the original.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

The original is more true to the radio series. Its very good. The special effects are hoakey. But its more fun that way.
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

Road Warrior and/or Water World
Tron
Napoleon Dynamite. Seriously, guys, face reality: Napoleon was a government experiment gone horribly wrong.
Chasing Amy
Naussica: Valley of the Wind (Anime)

bmeaker
Member # 4443

- posted      Profile for bmeaker   Email bmeaker         Edit/Delete Post 
There are two Solaris movies, one from 1972 and one from 2002. I've seen both of them and thought they were ok, you might want to rent them or something to see if you like them.

I would also add The Fifth Element, I liked it pretty good. And personally I like The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, but not everybody likes it.

Posts: 53 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

(I was referring to the 2002 version of Solaris. I haven't seen the earlier one.)
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Another great one was Equilibrium with Christian Bale (Batman Begins), Dominic Purcell (Prison Break), and Sean Bean (LotR). Angus Macfadyen (Robert the Bruce in Braveheart) is an excellent bad guy, and Emily Watson has a small but poignent role.

Plus, you get gun-fu. What more could you want in a Sci-Fi flick?

In my cabinet, I have Stargate (aliens on another planet), Evolution (funny aliens on Earth), and Swordfish. Ok, Swordfish isn't exactly sci-fi, and it is a bit dirty in places. But the storyline is kickin, and Hugh Jackman is amazing. I'm not into seeing Halle Berry's boobs, but that can be a plus for some folks. Whatever works for you.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension,
Classic.

The Fifth Element was a pretty bad movie, but somehow just...works. I second that recommendation, and third Equilibrium.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
12 Monkeys
12:01
The Abyss
Strange Days
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
The Planet of the Apes
Paycheck
Galaxy Quest
A Clockwork Orange
Scanners
The Thirteen Floor
Gattaca
The Matrix
The Terminator
Terminator 2
Men In Black
Westworld
Soylent Green
The Andromeda Strain
Logan's Run
Time After Time
Alien
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Somewhere in Time
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
Back to the Future Trilogy
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

I'm sure I'm missing some...

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Spaceballs! [Smile] And Tron!
Total Recall wasn't too horrible considering it was an Aahhhnuld movie.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Independence Day
Minority Report

Those are the only ones that I can think of right now that I don't think have been listed. There are a ton listed already that are fantastic movies.

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:

I'll second this. The sequel was pretty good too.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:

I had a kid cite this movie in a paper I graded last semester. I had to give him bonus credit and a smiley face for it.

I'll also second Minority Report, because I should have seen it on my own shelf.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

It isn't necessarily Sci-fi, but Tommy is good. Its based on The Who's rock opera of the same name.
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
FIREFLY

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
Run Lola Run is a must.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't really have anything that hasn't been mentioned, but my conscience will not let two things rest unchallenged.

1. Tommy is HORRIBLE. Listen to the Rock Opera by The Who. Now THAT is excellence in cassette tape form (yes, I still have tapes. Quiet [Razz] ). It even comes on CD now! I fell in love with Tommy (album, not character), and then I saw the movie and nearly cried. Oh sure, there were moments (like Jack Nicholsen as the doctor), but overall? Crappy, 70's, badly adapted, and the only song that was not infinately worse than The Who doing it was Tina Turner's Acid Queen. Okay. Sorry for the rant. But I feel very strongly about this and once I have the Hollywood rep, my first move is going to be a remake that doesn't suck.

2. Gattaca was truly excellent until the end, at which point I wanted to kill (for fear of name confusion I use the actor's) Ethan Hawke. Who does that to a friend? Evil, evil, and the movie just passes it off like, "oh, it's okay, just fine, it's a beautiful thing and there's resolution and yadda yadda". Can't say more. It's a spoiler thing.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
A great big second here on Galaxy Quest.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I rented Galaxy Quest way back when. It was pretty good. Consider this a third.
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
starLisa has the list.

I'd also add They Live.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
starLisa's list is pretty good. I was going to throw votes in for The Abyss, Independence Day (I know, I love that movie!), and the Back to the Future trilogy. Great fun.

Galaxy Quest is a must though. No doubt about it.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:
Charlie Kaufman's films are great: Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, and Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind.
Oi, how did I forget THOSE? I suppose they're science fiction, after all.
I didn't see Eternal Sunshine, but now that I know it’s by the same guy that did the other two I will avoid it like the plague. Adaptation was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I hate pointless “arty” movies who seem to enjoy being weird just to be different.

I agree with most of the other suggestions.

I finally saw Serenity the other day. Granted I never saw the TV show, but I don't see what all the hype was about. It wasn't bad, but not that particularly great either.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's IMDb's top SciFi list, and here's the fantasy list (there's some overlap). Some of my favorites that I don't think have been mentioned are Iron Giant, Brazil, and Manchurian Candidate (1962). Solaris (2001) is not for everyone, but I enjoyed it.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Spielbergs "Taken" mini-series was VERY good
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I adore The 4400. Both the miniseries and the series. I have to check and see when that starts up again. Oh, also, 5ive Days to Midnight.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone said Star Wars yet? That is the ultimate sci fi triology. I would vote for that.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
As many seasons of B5 as you can handle.
(Babylon 5)

Iron Giant

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.