FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Essential SF DVDs (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Essential SF DVDs
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SC Carver:
I didn't see Eternal Sunshine, but now that I know it’s by the same guy that did the other two I will avoid it like the plague. Adaptation was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I hate pointless “arty” movies who seem to enjoy being weird just to be different.

Eh, tastes differ. Personally, I found quite a bit of meaning in Being John Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine. Adaptation is the odd one of the bunch, but I still appreciated the treatment of trying to write something that doesn't inspire you.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG. I can't believe I didn't mention B5.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Not that anyone actually cares, but more 'cuse it's fun to do...

Love:
Gattica, Eqilibrium, Serenity, Blade Runner, Fifth Element, Powder, Matrix, Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country, Star Trek IV The Voyage Home, Galaxy Quest, Terminator, Terminator 2, Star Wars Ep 4-6, Animatrix, The Abyess, Men In Black, Iron Giant, MST3K, Demolition Man, Back to the Future 1 & 3, The Last Starfighter, Jurasic Park, Enemy Mine, The Day the Earth Stood Still,

Like:
Adaptation, 2001 Space Oddesy, 12 Monkeys, 13th Floor, Paycheck, Star Wars Ep 2 & 3 , Matrix Revolutions, Matrix Reloaded, Strange Days, Terminator 3, Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek Gennerations, Preditor, Preditor 2, Prediter Vs Alien, Alien, Aliens, Titen AE, Tron, Stargate, ET, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Back to the Future 2, No Escape, Imposter, The Island, Earth Girls are Easy, Independance Day, Star Man, Cocoon, Alien Nation,

Okay:
Signs, Being John Malcovich, The Day After Tomarrow, Star Wars Ep 1, Men In Black 2, Star Trek III The Search For Spock, Star Tek V The Final Frontier, Star Trek First Contact, Star Trek Nemesis, Aliens 3, Alien: Reserectioin, Pitch Black, The Chronicles of Riddick, War of the Worlds, Clockwork Orange,

Dislike:
Dark City, Star Trek The Movie

Hate With A Burning Passion Like Fire:
Starship Troopers, Contact, The Core,

Okay, I'm spent.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Farscape, 2nd and 3rd season especially.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Seasons One and Two of Ren & Stimpy for the "Space Madness," episode.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
Not that anyone actually cares, but more 'cuse it's fun to do...

Love:
Gattica, Eqilibrium, Serenity, Blade Runner, Fifth Element, Powder, Matrix, Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country,

You didn't like "Star Trek V: Kirk Meets God"?

quote:
Star Trek IV The Voyage Home, Galaxy Quest, Terminator, Terminator 2, Star Wars Ep 4-6, Animatrix, The Abyess, Men In Black, Iron Giant, MST3K, Demolition Man,

Argh. Another one I should have included. Demolition Man rocks.

quote:
Back to the Future 1 & 3, The Last Starfighter, Jurasic Park, Enemy Mine, The Day the Earth Stood Still,

Like:
Adaptation, 2001 Space Oddesy, 12 Monkeys, 13th Floor, Paycheck, Star Wars Ep 2 & 3 , Matrix Revolutions, Matrix Reloaded, Strange Days, Terminator 3, Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek Gennerations, Preditor, Preditor 2, Prediter Vs Alien, Alien, Aliens, Titen AE, Tron, Stargate, ET,

Ew. I was chafing at the saccharinity during ET, and when the bicycle took off, I almost left the theater. I love sappy movies, but even I have my limits.

Stargate... I had a little crush on James Spader after I saw that. Unusual for me.

quote:
Okay:
Signs, Being John Malcovich, The Day After Tomarrow, Star Wars Ep 1, Men In Black 2,

<blink> MiB II? Um.

quote:
Star Trek III The Search For Spock, Star Tek V The Final Frontier,

Ah, there we go. You must be a die-hard Trekkie to have liked that one.

quote:
Star Trek First Contact, Star Trek Nemesis,

Um... last remark, repeated and quadrupled. It's the only Trek anything that I couldn't even finish watching. Though with rumors about Star Trek 11 having Kirk and Archer and Picard in it, they may be thinking of trying to dig even lower.

quote:
Hate With A Burning Passion Like Fire:
Starship Troopers, Contact, The Core,

Can't argue there. I liked the book Contact, though.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
SC: Adaptation is absolutely hideous, but Eternal Sunshine is great. It did something that the other movies didn't do: made me care about the characters. Instead of doing goofy things and pointing at them saying, "Check this out! Isn't this goofy and artistic?" it starts with an understated SF premise and lets the characters power the story to its conclusion.

At the least, it's worth a rental.

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, okay, you don't have to twist my arm, MiBII sucked...
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Contact was good! *growls meanacingly*

I'd add The Postman and Waterworld, rent them though. They're fun, but not good necesarily. The Postman is better than Waterworld, if you ask me.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Well, anything with Jodie Foster in it is good, if only for Jodie Foster. If I could meet one celebrity/star, it'd be a toss-up between Jodie Foster and Helen Slater.
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Jurassic Park considered science fiction?
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Um... last remark, repeated and quadrupled. It's the only Trek anything that I couldn't even finish watching. Though with rumors about Star Trek 11 having Kirk and Archer and Picard in it, they may be thinking of trying to dig even lower.
Just throw in the borg and time travel and it will be the recipe for the best Star Trek Ever!

/endsarcasm

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Waterworld???

That movie would be on my 10 worst movies ever list.

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

<sigh> I included Andromeda Strain, so I suppose I can't just say that nothing by Michael Crichton or Robin Cook can ever really count as science fiction, can I. So yeah, Jurassic Park, Timeline, The Terminal Man, and Prey, if they ever make it. I suppose they count.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by TrapperKeeper:
quote:
Just throw in the borg and time travel and it will be the recipe for the best Star Trek Ever!

/endsarcasm

I'm picturing Kirk walking down a corridor, doing all the Denny Crane shtick. Picard could be Paul Lewison, and Archer could be Brad Chase. We could get Janeway to be Shirley Schmidt. Sisko... I'm not sure. But Q could be Alan Shore.

Boston Legal, The Final Frontier.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.