FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Movie: Just a Question of Love (Juste une question d'amour)

Author Topic: Movie: Just a Question of Love (Juste une question d'amour)
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
This movie is one of the best "coming-out" stories I've ever seen. Laurent is a young gay man hiding his sexuality from his parents. His cousin was gay and was disowned by the family. He's living with a female roommate and both seem content to let his parents think they are a couple. Then he meets Cedric, an openly gay man who has already dealt with his own "coming-out" issues. What struck me about this movie is that, while it takes it as a given that being gay is not a moral negative, it does not villainize the parents or make them stock bad guys to set up tension. Everyone comes across as genuinely human, each with their own prejudices, weaknesses, and strengths. The movie presents a tough situation and the characters react to it believably.

I highly recommend this film to anyone interested in what it is like to be closeted today. Unlike Brokeback Mountain which dealt more with societal rejection of homosexuals (and homosexual self loathing), this movie deals not only with the way certain attitudes can build walls that hurt the family, even unknowingly, but also how living a closeted life prevents gays from acheiving genuine intimacy not only with their families but also with their friends and lovers.

The movie is in French with (or without) English sub-titles.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.