FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: This year, give her the cheapest gift you can find: You

Author Topic: New column: This year, give her the cheapest gift you can find: You
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
This year, give her the cheapest gift you can find: You

Valentine's Day. A name that evokes images of love, romance, moonlight, unrealistic financial burdens, emotional blackmail, and horrific gangland massacres. Ah, love!

This pink and fluffy holiday began as the ancient pagan festival of Lupercalia where Roman priests would sacrifice a goat (for fertility) and a dog (because it wouldn't stop barking). The boys of the village would then slice up the goat's hide and run through the streets, gently slapping women and crops with the bloody strips to improve the fertility of both or because by that point in the festival they really couldn't tell the difference.

But even then, the anguish inherent in Valentine's Day was exposed. The women of the village complained that the boys didn't hit them with the right bloody goat strips, or that they hit that witch Lucia Bustinia way harder than they hit her and why did they like Lucia better, was she prettier? The boys were too exhausted to answer, having been up all night frantically searching the marketplace for the last few goat strips left because they waited until the last minute.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
I read that in the other Valentine's Day thread. I was just about to roffle my mayo at it in there, but I guess I should do it in here instead now, huh?
[ROFL]

quote:
Take the day off from work, put on a disguise, and stalk her.
Oh my mayo, I did that! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hire an investigator to get the names of all of her previous boyfriends and invite them over so she can see how much better off she is with you. Won't she be surprised to see the guy whose abusive behavior in junior high caused her to start cutting herself, or the drunken one-night hookup from Fresno she thought no one knew about?
[ROFL]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the funniest things I've read in a long time.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Deleted lines:

Do something thoughtful and surprising for her, like having her car secretly tuned up or even detailed. Be sure to grab it late at night while she's asleep so she won't guess where it is.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh]

Chris, you're a genius.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Father Time
Member # 7985

- posted      Profile for Father Time   Email Father Time         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know where I can get some fresh goat strips? Not that I want to enhance her fertility!!!
Posts: 56 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I laughed at the first half a lot. The second half got a little scary (and I still laughed, of course). I predict that you'll get disgruntled mail with this one though, they might think you're a little too good at thinking up sick ways of showing your love. [Smile]

quote:
Take the day off from work, put on a disguise, and stalk her.
That was my favorite one too. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Chris, man, you are one funny guy.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyone know where I can get some fresh goat strips?
You can make it! I won't gross you out with the details (unless you ask [Wink] ), but yeah, it's delicious!
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

Actually, yes I will. Here's the goat, and here's how you make it (with beef as an example).
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

But does it increase fertility?

And if so, why?

cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

I'm not sure, but with Biltong you get your red meat (I'm a vegan now, but oh well), but without the saturated fat, or need of salt (not the case with US Beef Jerkey from what I've heard), or general badness. And you get a really tough piece of raw meat to strengthen ur teeth with. Very manly indeed.

Does it seem strange that a vegan is trying to encourage you to eat meat?

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Being slapped with bloody goat strips is really kinky. Why does it sound like fun to me?
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.