FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bush Sneaks Social Security Privatization Plan into Budget

Author Topic: Bush Sneaks Social Security Privatization Plan into Budget
Silkie
Member # 8853

- posted      Profile for Silkie   Email Silkie         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone noticed the cuts in Social Security benefits and other social programs, but something new has come to light. An unpublicized privitization plan for Social Security was slipped into this budget as well ... And Bush plans to pay for it using $700 billion in Social Security tax revenues!

quote:
Bush's Social Security Sleight of Hand

By Allan Sloan

The Washington Post
Wednesday 08 February 2006

If you read enough numbers, you never know what you'll find. Take President Bush and private Social Security accounts.

Last year, even though Bush talked endlessly about the supposed joys of private accounts, he never proposed a specific plan to Congress and never put privatization costs in the budget. But this year, with no fanfare whatsoever, Bush stuck a big Social Security privatization plan in the federal budget proposal, which he sent to Congress on Monday.

His plan would let people set up private accounts starting in 2010 and would divert more than $700 billion of Social Security tax revenues to pay for them over the first seven years.

If this comes as a surprise to you, have no fear. You're not alone...

~continued~

And they called Willie slick!
Posts: 337 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
It's about time.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silkie
Member # 8853

quote:
Originally posted by Irregardless:
It's about time.

The British have a privitized Pension plan, and Economists say it is one of the worst ones that exists. The fees and administrative costs eat up a large percentage of the revenue generated. Stock brokers don't work for free.

Try reading this archived article for an economist's analysis of the REAL status of Social Security and what Privitization would do to YOUR retirement benefits.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
The more I read about these budget...
What can be done?
Seriously, this is a disaster waiting to happen.
Tax cuts, increased defence spending, cuts to head start and Americorps and now this, enough is enough!
Something has to be done to stop this.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. If we ended all government spending we wouldn't have to worry about these spending cuts anymore.
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing will be done. Democrats will howl, some Republicans will howl, but his budget will pass.

Things aren't going to change until the people vote these guys out of office. They have to be sent a message, beyond polling data.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silkie
Member # 8853

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Nothing will be done. Democrats will howl, some Republicans will howl, but his budget will pass.

Things aren't going to change until the people vote these guys out of office. They have to be sent a message, beyond polling data.

I agree.

News out today: Tom DeLay has been appointed to the House Appropriations Committee. I guess a felony indictment and other pending charges with the Abramoff/K Street group are not enough to keep him out of power.

Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is exactly why I am a Democrat. And Silkie, you have got to be kidding? He has been appointed for that after everything he has done?

Man I hate this administration. And it will be three more long years of it before we can vote in a new president.

But I have a querstion. Why would an administration do almost everything in its power to sabotage its own image? I mean the privatization has been proven many times over to be a bad idea. It won't help in fact it will make things worse than ever. So why would theis administration continue to try to put this idiot idea into action?

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
The more I see of this, the surer I am I'm not going to live here once I graduate medical school. I have zero incentive to stay in a sinking ship -- I know the Republican party has a "starve the beast" philosophy, but is there even a method to their madness, or are they determined to force the US to default on its unbelievable debt?

Just. Good lord. Let the red states that voted this corrupt tool in pay for his mistakes.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
President Bush has trouble admiting defeat.

He put a lot of personal capital behind the Social Security revamp. He will get it through one way or another.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.