FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Medicos or others... fingertip amputation.

Author Topic: Medicos or others... fingertip amputation.
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi folks. Last weekend my husband lost the tip of his left ring finger in a very unusual racquetball accident. They sewed it back on in the ER, and he met with a reconstructive surgeon two days ago so they could check on the progress. Since then we've been doing the twice-daily cleaning and bandage-changing, antibiotics, etc.

I've looked all over google, but can't figure out how to find what I'm looking for, so I'm hoping someone here happens to know... what should a healing fingertip amputation look like after 4 or 5 days? It looks awful, it's still seeping blood, the tip is a very dark purple, and smaller at it's base than the part it's connected to, making it look like it's not very attached... how on earth can I find out if this is normal or not? I'll probably call the doctor tomorrow, but our next appointment isn't until Monday, and if I over-react and bring us in early, I risk running out of visits that are covered by insurance.

Oi, I'm so bad at this. Many thanks for any help.

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it hot and purple?

I thought I remember hearing/reading recently that fingertip reattachment success rates are lower that other reattachment surgery. If I remember the story correctly, they usually need at least two knuckles otherwise there just isn't the blood supply needed.

Though you might see if any of the local docs here have access to the full article here. http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1742-4801.2005.00153.x

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch. [Frown] I hope it gets better quickly. Good luck.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RyanINPnet
Member # 8363

- posted      Profile for RyanINPnet   Email RyanINPnet         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorrry for your husband. I hope he recovers soon.

If you don't mind my asking...how did that happen? I play raquetball on an almost daily occurence...?

Posts: 61 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes they use leeches to draw the blood into the fingertip.
http://rnweb.com/rnweb/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=103342#1

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Thanks everyone. I'll call the doctor today and see if they can tell me if I'm over-reacting or not.

It happened when he was going to the back wall to return a shot, he put his hand up to stop his momentum, and the finger managed to get jammed into the tiny, tiny little crack of the glass door's hinge. When he pulled it out, part of the finger was left behind. Very unusual, for sure.

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, man. [Frown]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Okay! We did end up going out for the routine "wife is over-reacting" appointment today, and they say it's looking fine. The tip is attaching and everything, and it'll be weeks before it starts to return to a normal color. The sutures may come out as early as Monday. Whew!! Thanks again everyone for your support! This is just way more than I've ever dealt with before. [Smile]
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Zeugma, you didn't over-react. You were faced with a medical situation you didn't understand, you were worried about something, calling the docotr and going to see him was the right thing to do.

I hope things continue to go well for your hubby.

The whole leech thing fascinates me. Squicks me out as well, but it's still fascinating.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Zeugma, I'm sorry about your husband's finger.

If I'd seen this earlier I might have been able to reassure you a little. My brother-in-law lost the tip of his thumb to a table saw, and his thumb looked like it should be on a zombie for weeks.

I'm glad everything's going well.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zeugma:
Thanks everyone. I'll call the doctor today and see if they can tell me if I'm over-reacting or not.

It happened when he was going to the back wall to return a shot, he put his hand up to stop his momentum, and the finger managed to get jammed into the tiny, tiny little crack of the glass door's hinge. When he pulled it out, part of the finger was left behind. Very unusual, for sure.

holy
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onanism Thread
Member # 8525

- posted      Profile for Onanism Thread           Edit/Delete Post 
Losing your fingertips is bad for... things.
Posts: 37 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad that the fingertip is healing well! Whew!

Hi Ryan and Onanism (that's quite a name). Welcome to Hatrack!

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.