FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Great Edit of Wikipedia

Author Topic: The Great Edit of Wikipedia
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe not so great. Apparently congress is getting a little self concious.

quote:
Wikipedia began an investigation after a Democratic representative, Marty Meehan, admitted that he had spiffed up his online biography page.

Spiffed up? Haven't heard that in a while. I'm sure he was just correcting items like hair and eye color [Roll Eyes] .

quote:
Wikipedia also stated that there had been some "vandalism" of biographies, such as an entry for Oklahoma Senator Tom Coburn, which erroneously claimed he had been voted "most annoying senator."
So I guess a few 30+ year old men/women thought it would also be ok to "spray paint" another's bio.....

Ok, I know most of us don't use Wiki for anything you really need good hard evidence on, but this is still really rediculous.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
ridiculous too.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So I guess a few 30+ year old men/women thought it would also be ok to "spray paint" another's bio.....
Assuming it was other senators that had performed the vandalism, and not college-age political kids.

If the pool's public, someone's gonna pee in it.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
The IP addresses were from congressional office buildings. I don't know if that's in Stan's link, I haven't followed it, but I read a couple articles about this a few weeks ago. They know it's staffers or members of congress.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it's better than spraypaint?
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, the article mentioned that as well, ElJay.

quote:
It was found that articles on other senators had been changed, sometimes significantly, and that the edits could be traced to computers on Capitol Hill.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done. Personally, if I were to spiff up my Wiki article, I'd play up my superpowers. Right now Wikipedia doesn't acknowledge all my abilities.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
In fairness to wikipedia, most vandalism is quickly removed and vandals are banned.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the Orson Scott Card article has to be reverted every couple of weeks.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rCX
Member # 8503

- posted      Profile for rCX           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a list wikipedia made of the all the government IPs that made edits. Here are examples of the kind of edits made.
Posts: 164 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.