FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Friggin Awesome! Multi-touch screens

Author Topic: Friggin Awesome! Multi-touch screens
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man I hope this technology hits markets soon:

http://mblog.lib.umich.edu/~rdivecha/archives/2006/02/the_world_of_sm.html

(been thinking about it, and I don't think the technology would be good for games... just imagine getting frustrated and hitting it...)

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's pretty cool. I wonder what the technique for touch recognition is. One of the problems with current techniques is it relies on a semi-conductive gel which covers the screen and wears out surprisingly quickly. For something like that to be useful, it would have to be a lot more durable than a standard touch screen, as well as solving the multi-point problem which they have done.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That's cool. I could play with the color toys they show in the beginning all day. And I really like the photo album app.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, that's pretty cool. I can think of a lot of useful applications for that.

I wonder how far away we are from Laptops that don't have a traditional keyboard in the sense that we're used to. I think the next generation, as screens and hardware get smaller, will be a large foldable screen that can display a keyboard to type with, and when viewing movies or other applications, will revert to a giant, unfettered screen.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
What amazes me is how intuitive they made it- all the movements required seemed to be the ones that you'd think would be used.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex Johansen
Member # 9090

- posted      Profile for Alex Johansen   Email Alex Johansen         Edit/Delete Post 
That's so amazing, I would buy that if I had the money, I would go as high as 10k for it. That just blows my mind! I mean, God! I'm speechless, I can't even decide what to comment on!

Okay, after I regained some compusure I thought of something.

ENDER'S GAME! This touch screen would be perfect for the games! Like the Fantasy game and the war games (definitely not the Battle Room though, seriously if anything except a VR system is made for that I'm going to be p***ed, I know the only affordable VR systems out right now are a dime a dozen at toys r us, but still....)

Posts: 141 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

- posted      Profile for Geekazoid99   Email Geekazoid99         Edit/Delete Post 
Need to be pop out 3d to work for EG
Posts: 250 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex Johansen
Member # 9090

- posted      Profile for Alex Johansen   Email Alex Johansen         Edit/Delete Post 
OH MY GOD!

DUDE!

HOW MUCH IS

1 831.10 EUROS IN USD?!?!?

http://www.jazzmutant.com/lemur_overview.php

YOU CAN EVEN CREATE YOUR OWN SOFTWARE WITH IT USING THE EDITOR! MEANING IF OYU GE TBORE DOF THE GAMES YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN! I WANT TO ASPIRE TO- oh wait, I don't think anyone here is appreciating my caps, so I will stop killing my shift key. Anyways, I want to be a programmer when I grow up so this would be amazing for me! I need to get one.....

Posts: 141 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex Johansen
Member # 9090

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.365211/sc.2/category.3/it.A/id.357/.f

Nevermind, it's around 2.5k [Frown]

aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to hold on to my money and wait for whatever it was they used in Minority Report.
Course, I'll probably be ancient by then and be able to use it about as much as my parents (..sorta ancient..) can this computer... (Which is not at all..)
But it'll be purty darn cool!

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the computer desk display the evil doctor used in The Island. I want one of those. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitsune
Member # 8290

- posted      Profile for Kitsune   Email Kitsune         Edit/Delete Post 
Wowww, I got goosebumps.
Posts: 147 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex Johansen
Member # 9090

Noooo! This is turning into a mayfly! Don't talk about that fake crap, talk about this real crap! Someone! Find more info about this crap!
ElJay
Member # 6358

Alex, you obviously do not understand what a Mayfly is. And you're going to have to accept that thread drift happens. This isn't even really thread drift, it's talking about cool technology innovations using touch screens that we'd like to see.

In other words, chill out.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I can't wait for things like that to become the standard. [Smile]
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It'll happen, and I'll put my money on within the next decade. Too many geeks want to see something like this, and it's ALMOST affordable.

What impresses me most about it is the intuitive interface displayed in the demos. A jazzy multitouch screen is worthless if the interface doesn't make sense, but this one seemed almost perfect -- incorporating even elements of physicality to make the interface more "real" to the user.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I would like to see is on the map part of the demo, rather then spreading your fingers out to zoom in on an area or city, you double tap the screen.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. See, I'd use a double-tap to automatically center the map on the point tapped -- especially since they use the "fingers spreading" method for zooming in all their other applications. Consistency is important.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What impresses me most about it is the intuitive interface displayed in the demos. A jazzy multitouch screen is worthless if the interface doesn't make sense, but this one seemed almost perfect -- incorporating even elements of physicality to make the interface more "real" to the user.
This is what impressed me about it, too. If I could use this as anything other than a toy, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

quote:
The only thing I would like to see is on the map part of the demo, rather then spreading your fingers out to zoom in on an area or city, you double tap the screen.
I'm fairly confident that any program able to utilize these features would have mappable touch commands to allow the user to customize exactly how the UI responds, although double-tapping instead of a drag motion would defeat the purpose of analog-capable input.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

True, it could just be something that I will have to get used to.

I see these being everywhere in 10 years. If they aren't then it is most likely because we will have something better.

*Marvels in the geeky things this thing could do*

erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
True, it could just be something that I will have to get used to.
Same here. How the heck am I going to unlearn ctrl+space+click to zoom in Adobe programs?!

quote:
I see these being everywhere in 10 years. If they aren't then it is most likely because we will have something better.
I'm betting on both - much like CD vs MP3 players when the technology first became available. We didn't really see a mainstream spread of MP3 players until the iPod (depending on how you want to define "mainstream spread"). Similarly, I'm thinking touch-screen technology will be much more widespread in 10 years...but we'll already have something newer and cooler that the elite few will possess.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Call me a Luddite, but just watching the demo made me feel kind of dizzy-sick.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Luddite.
Seriously, Tante, the impressive thing about that video is that they just reached out and touched what they wanted, and it responded. That's a kind of interface that has largely been lacking in commercial software.

Alex Johansen
Member # 9090

Argh! When I asked about thread definitions a while abck someone told me mayfly was when a thread "flew off topic" or something along that line
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my. That's just beautiful. I can't wait to play Solitaire on one.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Alex, no they didn't. [Smile] Here's your thread. The only mayfly definition given was this:

quote:
Mayfly - a thread that may disappear quickly. Often used to get in contact with some other user. Once contact is made, the thread is deleted.
To expand on that, a mayfly is a thread that may have a short lifespan, an actual mayfly is an insect that only lives for a day. Putting Mayfly in a title is a warning to people that the thread may be deleted, so they shouldn't put a lot of time or effort into posting in it, just give a quick answer. The practice started because people don't like their posts being deleted, and this way they have warning.
Alex Johansen
Member # 9090

ohhhhhh.... that's weird... where did i get that idea that someone told me its because the thread may fly offtopic...........
ElJay
Member # 6358

Dunno. But regardless, you'll probably find it doesn't work very well to yell at people about what they're talking about. If you want a thread to go in a certain direction, your best bet is to write a post taking it that way. Then if others want to talk about that aspect of the topic, they'll reply to you. Saying that someone else should go find more information about a topic so the thread goes the way you want it to is probably never going to be effective. [Smile]

Not trying to beat up on you, you know. . . just trying to help. [Smile]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
Oh my. That's just beautiful. I can't wait to play Solitaire on one.

I already have a solitaire game that has a touch-responsive interface. It's called a deck of cards.

I feel so...futuristic!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Here we see Tante is a laggard/Neo-Luddite, while Alex is an innovator/high roller. Avoid the bleeding edge, Alex! Join the 21st century, Tante!
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Dead link, Morb.
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
It failed for me once, then worked. Beats me.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:
Join the 21st century, Tante!

OK,OK, I'll join. It's just that my horse and buggy gets such excellent mileage.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That is very cool.

So is this.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
That video made me very very happy.

Although I gotta say, that seems like it would be tiring after a while. Really develop the forearm muscles...

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
So.

Many.

Fingerprints.

*dies*

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

So, you're zero degrees in the OCD thread then?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.