FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cold fusion

Author Topic: Cold fusion
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
It appears to have been created at UCLA

Linkage

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that got created ten years ago, by Keanu Reeves?

Whoaaaa.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
PS. It was duplicated by a team in NY.
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a trifle confused by the article. More specifically this:
quote:
"Nuclear fusion has been explored as a potential source of power, but we are not looking at this as an energy source right now," Danon says.
Isn't the whole point of cold fusion that it's an OMFG! power source that will completely change the world? I mean it's great that they can do things with crystals and whatnot, but without the power generation aspect, is this something to get crazy excited about?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, because it could become an avenue to energy creation. Even if this particular process will always be energy-inefficient, it will be a source of additional data on fusion that may lead to new, energy-efficient processes.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

So I'm excited, but it's not the "coming of the messiah" excited that I'm prepared to do for practical, energy generating cold fusion.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that nuclear power plants created electricity by creating heat that drove other mechanisms like turbines and such. Am I wrong about that?

Because ... if you create COLD fusion, what aspect of the fusion reaction do you use to create electricity, since there's no outrageous output of heat?

Or is there an OUTPUT of heat, but just not a prerequisite of heat?

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mistaben
Member # 8721

- posted      Profile for mistaben           Edit/Delete Post 
Puppy,

Fusion is easy if you're somewhere sort of hot, like, for example, the center of the sun. At these temperatures, the average kinetic energies of atomic nuclei are sufficient that when they collide they can fuse and form a bound state.

The trick is convincing the nuclei to collide, and granting them sufficient energy to form a bound state, without operating at temperatures that are problematic in the lab. So, while your operating temperature may be above room temperature, it's still frigid compared to the solar core.

Hence the name.

Posts: 105 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
It's certainly a step in the right direction.

At any rate, reading that article felt like an episode of Star Trek.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, there was no holodeck accident, and no poorly thought out time travel.

[Edit--in addition, the experiments that have produced this result didn't involve reconfiguing the deflector dish at all]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Geoff, check this link out, it discusses it in detail starting about half way down. [Big Grin]

Basically, it involves fusion at or near room temp, but it produces a huge amount of heat during the reaction which can be used to power almost anything.

As it stands, giant amounts of energy are needed to create fission, where fusion would be much cleaner and produce even more energy...one gallon of regular water would be able to match the power equivalent of 300 gallons of gasoline.

quote:
Dr. Mallove: "One important implication of cold fusion is that there are, at least, 300 gallons of gasoline equivalent in every gallon of ordinary water. If you take the heavy hydrogen contained in one gallon of water, normal water that you drink, or get at the pond or the lake or the ocean, and fuse that heavy hydrogen into helium, which is what is happening in cold fusion. This gives you heat, and that amount of heat is the equivalent of 300 gallons of gasoline. That means that in only one cubic kilometer of ocean, we have the energy equivalent of the entire known oil reserves on Earth. And that means total energy independence from any localized supply of oil plus the environmental benefit of not producing CO2 and other noxious pollutants."

Dr. Swartz: "With cold fusion we get to transfer the use of petrochemicals and gasoline into making useful pharmaceuticals and plastics and perhaps even nanomaterials. Imagine using the atoms in gasoline to make new materials, rather than just burning it into carbon dioxide (CO2).
How important is this new form of energy production? For the United States alone, the potential economic benefits resulting from controlled fusion with the generation of safe helium-4 are somewhere between substantial and staggering."

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite song that has nuclear fusion in it is They Might Be Giants' Why Does the Sun Shine?

I mean, it's not cold fusion, but it is a cool song, so that's something.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
What're they planning on doing with the byproducts (aka helium) from the reaction? Just curious.

edit: Don't say balloons, either!

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a difference between cold fusion and crystal fusion? I'm confused by the article.

(Besides, everyone knows that cold fusion has already been created and classified by the government. Silly people.)

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea that link isn't good science. The cold fusion of the late 80's was not fusion in any sense of the word.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
The fusion ye be askin about is fusion via a Tokamak Reactor where you use a doughnut shaped field to keep it dense enough for the reaction to work and utilize a laser to heat it up instantly to the point needed to work. The point is that the goal is to get a self sustaining reaction so that by using a heavy hydrogen isotope you can make a light isotop inwhich you can collect and refeed into the reactor thus self sustaining because it creates its own fuel. And because hydrogen is used its a very common element and thus infinit fuel if need be. There is a huge amount of heat generated yes but I'm certain that with the right technology you can redce the effects, say have the reactor in an underwater base or something.

I read this in an Asimov article so I'm a little fuzzy on the details but it sounded very logical.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Not linking to it for the pure science, per say, just to demonstrate what Cold Fusion is in concept.

I think we ALL understand that we have no idea about waht it will finally look like when/if it actually works out IRL. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Not only is that link bad science, it defies common sense.
quote:
By contrast, with cold fusion producing the same amount of power, that is a gigawatt that lasts for a day, that amount of energy production would require only one pound of heavy water containing deuterium to fuel the city's needs, and that cold fusion process would produce only 4 pounds of helium exhaust.
How 1 lb of heavy water can produce 4 lbs of helium is left as an exercise for the student.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Obvious, trough power of TIMECUBE! Yuo have been misled by 'scientist' conspiracy conceeling truth that MASS IS NOT CONSERVERD!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:
How 1 lb of heavy water can produce 4 lbs of helium is left as an exercise for the student.

Well, duh. Things that are weightless are, like zero pounds. And they aren't pulled by gravity because they don't weigh anything. They just kind of hover. Like those spacemen in outer space. Helium is very light. It doesn't just hover, like weightless things, it floats. So it has negative weight. So it takes, like four times more of it to weigh as much as something heavier.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Nuh-huh. Haven't you ever filled up a balloon? Four times more of it would just make it float more. You need four times less.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

With all due respect, Squick, you just don't understand pseudoscience.

Four times less, indeed! [Roll Eyes]

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I'll lay it out there for people. When you pump more helium into a balloon, does it go up or down? And when you drain helium from a balloon, does it get lighter and go up like Tante suggests or does it get heavier and go down like I'm saying?

Please. It's 4x less, which also fits with what they said with the 1lb -> 4 lbs. I don't think it could be clearer.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

A tank of compressed helium is rather heavy. Because it is full of lots and lots of helium. It takes that much to make it so heavy. Because it is so light. You airhead!
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Not so. The tank itself is made out of very heavy material. It has to be, otherwise all that helium would make it float away.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
edit: Don't say balloons, either!

BALLOOOOOOOOOONS!

Today's lack of willpower resulting in a completely useless post brought to you by erosomniac.

Edit: the comments on the article are almost better than the article itself.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
Not so. The tank itself is made out of very heavy material. It has to be, otherwise all that helium would make it float away.

Nope. A full tank weighs more than an empty one.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Well of course it does, they have to make the full tank heavier than the empty one because the full tank has to hold all the helium while the empty doesn't.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Well, when you explain it that way, it makes a lot of sense.

But not to me.

My momma didn't raise no fools.

(Well, except for my little sister.)

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

And that concludes this evening's performance of "It's like arguing with an ID proponent" theatre. Don't forget to tip your waitresses and bartender and drive home safe.
Kwea
Member # 2199

lol
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
And that concludes this evening's performance of "It's like arguing with an ID proponent" theatre. Don't forget to tip your waitresses and bartender and drive home safe.

Bows and basks in the "Bravas".

How come no one is calling "Encore! Encore!"?

suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
Please include the "pseudoscience disclaimer" with your "helium" posts ...

A.

PS: I really hope you're just making fun, and I'm unable to get it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
With all due respect, Squick, you just don't understand pseudoscience.

I did!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.