FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Solution for Bush Haters! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Solution for Bush Haters!
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard numerous people complaining on this site and in person about or current president and have tired of it.

If everyone wants change of leadership in the next election, then the Democrats need to put forth a canidate that is remotely electable. To be honest, Bush should not have been that hard to beat in the last election, but Kerry was not very likeable, Ditto for Gore. (Of course maybe the Republicans will put up a good candidate this time.)

So, who does everyone think the Democrats will nominate for President? (Personally I think Hillary will be a mistake simply because she is not very likable. Her husband was very likable and we see how far it got him.)

Again, suggestions for Democratic (or republican) nominations.

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sick of both parties. I'll be surprised if either of them nominate anyone even halfway competent.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have heard numerous people complaining on this site and in person about or current president and have tired of it.

Well, dude. Easiest way to fix it is to talk him into going hunting with the veep.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Pres. Clinton's likeability got him pretty darned far. You have to be pretty likeable for people just not to care about being lied to to their faces.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure that's as true anymore. I just saw a discussion on this site where SEVERAL people voiced the opinion "Yeah, politicians lie. It's what they do. Why should I let that affect my vote?"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Who I wish they would nominate:

Colin Powell for Republican

Joe Lieberman for Democrat

I respect both these men. And would feel pretty good if either one were elected.

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I used to respect Colin Powell, until he let himself be totally p0wnz0rd.

I have never had any respect for Lieberman, who is -- as far as I can tell -- merely a slimeball trying to wrap himself in the appearance of integrity.

That said, the last nominee I really liked was Bradley, so YMMV.

DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, dude. Easiest way to fix it is to talk him into going hunting with the veep.
Actually the easiest way is to talk him into taking a car ride with Ted Kennedy
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

I guess I was unclear. I think that clinton's likeability (sp) was what kept him in office for 2 terms and got him through a lot of the scandals that he got himself into. As far as the scandals go, I think the republicans started this whole mess of wanting to investigate everything the president does in order to try to find fault in him.

The current ultra-partisan politics irritate me.

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Why, oh why have I heard talk of Jebby-boy trying to follow his brother?

Another shrubbery for President would make me cry on the inside.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
Actually the easiest way is to talk him into taking a car ride with Ted Kennedy.
Only if you think it's easier to talk Bush into being alone with Ted Kennedy. I dispute that.
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Hillary would lose, I think. Kerry would lose. Gore would have a pretty good shot, though - I think he's more consistent in his views than Kerry, more likeable than Hillary, and has managed to cut out the boring since his last campaign.

If the Democrats were smart, though, they'd fine somebody new - someone wtih a solid, discernable, principled vision who is simultaneously not crazy. For whatever reason, they seem to have a great deal of trouble doing that.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

And a platform other than "Bush is Evil" would probably help [Smile]

Sergeant

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but the exciting Al Gore is terrifying. He's like an alien.

Hillary's a zero, and Lieberman doesn't look like he believes most of what comes out of his own mouth.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

It's too early to try to elect a woman President. The thing is, a lot of Bush's advantage in the last election was that he presented a sort of father figure, and he has sort of a stereotypical American family, I guess.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

How about a woman vice-president?
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Only if you think it's easier to talk Bush into being alone with Ted Kennedy. I dispute that.
He let Kennedy write the Education bill, he has praised him several times, it shouldn't be too hard.
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's too early for a woman president. More like there's not a reasonable woman candidate. Same with a minority candidate. I don't think anyone would have qualms about electing one if they were the best candidate, it's just that no one really is in the right position.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

quote:
Bush's advantage in the last election was that there was nobody running against him.
Well, from my point of view, you had two choices, Vote for Bush, or Vote against Bush. So I think we are saying the same thing? Either way it came to be all about Bush, so it's no wonder that Bush won
Katarain
Member # 6659

At least this time there's no incumbant, so hopefully both parties will at least attempt to nominate somebody good.

I don't know much about Obama, but people seem to really like him. Maybe he'll be nominated.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
He let Kennedy write the Education bill, he has praised him several times, it shouldn't be too hard.
I find this delightfully naive.
pH
Member # 1350

I definitely think it's too early. And I think that any woman/minority running would have to be fifty times more personable and spotless in reputation than whoever he/she was running against.

-pH

pH
Member # 1350

Well, I didn't get to vote at all, but that's because the state of Florida lost my absentee ballot.

Thanks, Jebby. [Grumble]

-pH

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[Gore] has managed to cut out the boring since his last campaign.
Ahhh, the miracles of facial hair.

Incidentally, I can't think of a single, active politician that has a beard.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair, even Kerry was _remotely_ electable; he lost by 3%.

But it would be good for the Democrats if they ran someone with identifiable positions. "Anybody but Bush" isn't enough.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
If I was a US citizen I'ld vote for hilery for VP and Adama as Prez for Democrat, if republican Powel.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Hillary vs Condoleeza.... It could happen... Then we'd have a woman pres for sure =)

I haven't studied Condy's politics... My lil bro has and he's all excited. He and I usually agree politically. So maybe this is what I should hope for.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Any given Democrat could have lost by 3%. President Bush is considered that bad by that many people. John Kerry offerred almost no reasons for anyone to vote for him, nor, for that matter, did he do a particularly good job of highlighting little things like the President's inability to run on his first term.

I like the spin though. (I say this as a registered Republican who worked as a volunteer on John McCain's 2000 campaign) I believe that the current President has done a very bad job as well as disgraced his office and the country. One of the consistent aspects of his Presidency has been an unwillingness to take responsibility for anything in a meaningful way. Because of this, it has become incumbent on the American people to try to force the administration to live up to it's greatest duty, to take responsibility. So I criticize the President when I think he has done things badly or, and this is less common, not done things he should have because I actually take how my country is run seriously and not as some sort of sporting match.

But hey, you can just say "Well, it's just because he hates Bush." and ignore all that so that you can go back to your flag-waving. This is apparently your conception of responsible citizenry.

[ February 14, 2006, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by adam613:
Bush's advantage in the last election was that there was nobody running against him.

And yet he was still only able to squeak by with a thin majority. Almost came in second in a one-man race, then, huh? [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

That's the situation exactly, KarlEd. The truly depressing part is not that the fact that he is so unliked that he almost lost in a one-man race, the truly depressing part is what that and the fact that the DNC could not find a man that could beat him. A truly pathetic showing of our two major political parties in the USA.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I'd like Martin Sheen to run. Is that unrealistic?
Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes
Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Spang:

As long as he has good writers telling him exactly what to do [Smile]

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Yeah, but when you're president they're called advisers.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Even the writing in my opinion got a bit silly. I know it's a TV show so it's expected for things to end well, but c'mon...President Bartlett's administration solves the Palestinian problem and Social Security?
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Hillary vs Condoleeza.... It could happen... Then we'd have a woman pres for sure =)

Or the first third party president in ages.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
In a recent poll, 44% said they would not vote for H. Clinton under any circumstance. That's a lot of uphill work. I think Condi would be an interesting candidate who would probably have my support, but more info on her political beliefs and more of a record would be helpful. I hope Irami doesn't think I believe black people are like children for saying so.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vid
Member # 7172

- posted      Profile for Vid   Email Vid         Edit/Delete Post 
All I know is things will seem pretty fishy if Hamas wins this election, too.

(As for contributing to the conversation, I'm a moderate Republican, and I'd like to see a strong candidate surface, be it left, right, or one of the Blue Penguins... a strong candidate that can at least try to meet on common ground with the other party would more than likely win my vote)

Posts: 162 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

At this point, I'd vote for pretty much anyone that I believed was serious about bringing more T 'n A into the government.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
And the conversation takes a turn for the worse....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Clinton pretty much a nobody until he was the candidate (I don't know for sure, I was in 1st grade). We have a senator here in Indiana that's had some presidential buzz and from what I know of his politics he's pretty reasonable, he was governor from 88 till 96). Evan Bayh in 08?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
ven the writing in my opinion got a bit silly. I know it's a TV show so it's expected for things to end well, but c'mon...President Bartlett's administration solves the Palestinian problem and Social Security?
I'm only on season two, so it's not too out there yet. But I don't disagree.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Oh, that was Transparency and Accountability. Yeah ha!
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
We have a senator here in Indiana that's had some presidential buzz....
I liked Bayh fifteen years ago. He was a man of integrity and intelligence. That may still be true; I haven't lived in Indiana for a while. But I get the sense that he's become more of a traditional politician.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I'd back Obama. Or, say, Timothy Kaine, who speaks with remarkable precision and has a good track record for getting both sides behind him.

Please, please don't let Hillary or Lieberman run. If they came out on top of the pack, I don't think I could hold my nose long enough to vote. Heavens save us from morality as a political expediency.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, while I like Bush, I was mostly voting against Kerry.

While the more intelligent voters are ready for a woman or minority (does that word really apply anymore?) Pres, I think it would be an uphill battle.

I kind of figured there would be more of a frontrunner for at least one of the parties by this point. It's never to early for the parties to start shredding the other's candidate.

Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dav
Member # 8217

- posted      Profile for Dav           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:

Or the first third party president in ages.
It would be great if we could wrest power away from the entrenched Democrats and Republicans. It seems like there's enough discontent that any moderate third party that got its act together would have a good chance.

(At least I feel enough discontent to want a good third party candidate [Smile] )

Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care what party the decent candidate comes from
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
No, at this point it looks like I will write in Carter. Again!
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I really want Wesley Clark to run again. I don't think he's going to, but it's my dearest wish.

I think the former governor of Virginia, Mark Warner, sounds decent. I don't know a lot about him, just what I read in one of those women's magazines.

However, barring either of those, I'm hoping for a Clinton v Rice match, which at least will be hugely amusing.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.