FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cheney and declassification of government information - does he have the power?

Author Topic: Cheney and declassification of government information - does he have the power?
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that the vice-president has had a tough week, but this news item caught my eye.

Apparently the vice-president said on Wednesday during an interview on the Fox News Channel that he has the power to declassify classified government information. He claimed that there is an executive order that gives both the president and the vice-president the authority to declassify such information. He said in the interview that he advocates declassifiction and that he has "participated in declassification decisions." When he was asked for more details on the subject, he declined to elaborate, saying, "I don't want to get into that."

This poses a number of questions, I think:

Is there such an executive order?

If so, when was it made? Was it made by George W. Bush or by some other president?

If such an executive order does exist, why is Cheney seemingly unwilling to state a reference (such executive orders are usually referred to by number) or to detail which classified information he was involved in declassifying?

Is this an attempt on Cheney's part to lay the groundwork for a defense in light of Scooter Libby's contention that he had been authorized by his "superiors" (which definitely included Cheney) to leak Valerie Plame's name and employment by the CIA to the press?

Edit: to correct two typos.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like there are several EOs made regarding the classification and declassification of information, which shouldn't be surprising.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 12958

That's from '95 and is too long and has too much legalese for me to understand, but it seems like a good place to start.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
"He said in the interview that he advocates declassifiction..."

Oh, that's rich, coming from Cheney. [ROFL]

Thanks for the link, Juxtapose. I did repeated Google News searchs tonight and failed to find any serious analysis of the vice president's authority to declassify. If only journalists would get some teeth!

After skimming your link, I looked for other EOs and came up with EO 13292 which amends 12958. Bush's EO was dated March 25, 2003...Hmmm. Three days after we invaded Iraq?? What a coincidence. [Roll Eyes]

A key change is the addition
quote:
Sec. 1.3. Classification Authority. (a) The authority to classify information originally may be exercised only by:

(1) the President and, in the performance of executive duties, the Vice President;

The power to classify information was granted to the VP in the new EO--in the Clinton EO that line was just the president. Whether this means the VP can declassify anything for any reason, including political damage contol, is debateable.

Specifically, the EO does not supersede the National Security Act of 1947. That law forbids the outing of undercover intelligence operatives, which Plame may or may not have been at the time.
quote:
6.2(c) Nothing in this order limits the protection afforded any information by other provisions of law, including the Constitution, Freedom of Information Act exemptions, the Privacy Act of 1974, and the National Security Act of 1947, as amended.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, I thought the VP only performed executive duties if the president was otherwise incapable?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not clear on the in-and-outs of the treatment of classified information, but I'd pretty suprised if even the President can just up and decide to out an uundercover agent by deciding that this information should no longer be classified and have it be okay.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:
The power to classify information was granted to the VP in the new EO--in the Clinton EO that line was just the president. Whether this means the VP can declassify anything for any reason, including political damage contol, is debateable.

Specifically, the EO does not supersede the National Security Act of 1947. That law forbids the outing of undercover intelligence operatives, which Plame may or may not have been at the time.
quote:
6.2(c) Nothing in this order limits the protection afforded any information by other provisions of law, including the Constitution, Freedom of Information Act exemptions, the Privacy Act of 1974, and the National Security Act of 1947, as amended.

In looking at Executive Order 13292 (Bush's revision), as you said, Morbo, the president and vice president (maybe [probably?] only when acting as president) have the authority to classify information. Additionally, (per section 3.5(b)(1), in the information on declassification) information classified by the president or vice president is exempted from automatic declassification review.

I could see no provision that specifically grants the president or vice president the authority to declassify, with the possible exception, per this provision, of information they classified in the first place. In any case, this would not include Valerie Plame's name or her position with the CIA, so I don't see how any of this would help Cheney out if he was the one who okayed Scooter Libby's leak of her name to the press.

Anyway, Bush's executive order prohibits classification of information, among other reasons, in order to conceal violations of the law or, even more to the point, to "prevent embarrassment to a person, organization, or agency" (section 1.7(a)(1) and (2)). There is no similar provision to prohibit declassification of information for these reasons, but I think a reasonable person might infer that if one cannot classify information for those reasons, one would not be able to declassify information for those reasons, either.

Oh, on a slightly more frivolous note, and something I've been wondering for awhile...why in the world would an adult male allow anyone, except perhaps their mother, to call him "Scooter"?

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

quote:
I could see no provision that specifically grants the president or vice president the authority to declassify, with the possible exception, per this provision, of information they classified in the first place. In any case, this would not include Valerie Plame's name or her position with the CIA, so I don't see how any of this would help Cheney out if he was the one who okayed Scooter Libby's leak of her name to the press.
You're right, littlemissattitude. I skimmed the section on declassifaction and didn't see anything relevant to the vp. Also, I missed the importance of the word "originally" in 1.3 (a)--it may mean that clause is irrelevant to this case involving declassifaction.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silkie
Member # 8853

- posted      Profile for Silkie   Email Silkie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
The thing is, I thought the VP only performed executive duties if the president was otherwise incapable?

-Bok

Bites her tongue - I won't take the bait - I won't take the bait - I won't take the bait - I won't take the bait -

[Big Grin] I really really really won't take the bait -

Posts: 337 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

A breakdown of some changes between the Clinton classification EO and the Bush EO amending it.
Silkie
Member # 8853

I have read that the President has been 'legislating' through the use of Executive Orders. There has also been a long standing rumor that Cheney is really the one running the country. This new information will certainly do nothing to help the image of the current administration. Quite the opposite.

What a mess.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

Thanks for the link, Morbo. It raises some interesting questions itself, going back to the very serious question of when , exactly, the vice-president is entitiled to act in an executive capacity. More specifically, has Cheney been acting in an executive capacity even in the absence of a letter from the president handing over that power to him when the president is going to be incapacitated. Which, I might add, I always thought was necessary for the vice-president to do any of the things that are the president's job.

Or is there a letter sitting somewhere that Bush has signed designating Cheney as officially allowed to classify whatever he wants to? Even if there is, I still maintain that the wording of the executive order means that he can only legally declassify what he has originally classified. This would still mean that Cheney would have had no business saying that it was okay to "out" Valerie Plame, if that is indeed what he did.

Oh, and one more question - I seem to be full of them the past couple of days, don't I?

Is Cheney's reference in the interview to having "participated in declassification decisions", or however he put it, not an admission that he authorized the Plame leak but an admission that he is the one who has really been running things this whole time?

And I'm only half-joking about that last question.

Silkie
Member # 8853

There are a LOT of Executive Orders out there... I remember reading that this administration has set a new record for EOs.

Are the 'Liberal' rumors of Cheney being the 'man behind the curtain' true? If anyone is interested, it would be interesting to know how many EOs 'pass on' Presidential Powers to the VP. I wouldn't begin to know where to look them up.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have read that the President has been 'legislating' through the use of Executive Orders.
quote:
There are a LOT of Executive Orders out there... I remember reading that this administration has set a new record for EOs.
Not even close. The average number of executive orders since 1929 is 108 per year. (13396-5075 = 8321, 8321 divided by 77 years = about 108 per year)

Bush has signed about 40 per year (13396 - 13197 = 199, 199 divided by 5 years = aproximately 40 per year). I'd need to double check the math to be sure, but that's less than any president per year back through and including Carter. All but Carter are in the 40s; Carter is about 80 per year.

[ February 17, 2006, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

quote:
Originally posted by Silkie:
If anyone is interested, it would be interesting to know how many EOs 'pass on' Presidential Powers to the VP. I wouldn't begin to know where to look them up.

Executive Orders can be found in the Federal Register, published daily. They also appear in Title 3 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), beginning with Executive Order 7316, issued on March 13, 1936. Both publications are available on the internet. The Federal Register is here, or at least you can get there from here,
and the CFR can be found here. The CFR is published periodically, so if you are looking for the most recent Executive Orders, it would probably be best to check the Federal Register first.

Both publications can also be found in any Federal Depository Library. I don't know about other states, but in California many if not all CSU and UC libraries are Federal Depository Libraries, as are many county law libraries and central libraries in various library systems. For example, here in Fresno County, the Madden Library at CSU, Fresno is one, as are the law library in the county courthouse and the central library in the Fresno County Library System. Where you live, you could probably call up your local library and find out where the closest Federal Depository Library is located.

Edited to add some information that I should have thought to include in the first place.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
You dirty, dirty Bush-ite you, Dagonee.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Constitutionally I believe the VP only has three jobs anyway; wait for the P to die, preside/delegate his presidingness over Senate proceedings, and cast tie-breaking votes in said body. Could it be argued that any executive authority given to the VP is unconstitutional?

Unclassifying stuff must be hard. I would like to say, though, that there are safeguards, and that there are some things that can't be declassified on a whim, no matter who you are.

Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Constitutionally I believe the VP only has three jobs anyway; wait for the P to die, preside/delegate his presidingness over Senate proceedings, and cast tie-breaking votes in said body.
He also wields the executive power when the President is incapacitated, which technically a different power than that of succession.

quote:
Could it be argued that any executive authority given to the VP is unconstitutional?
The case that it would be unconstitutional is stronger under the unitary theory. [Evil]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

The unitary theory is a crock. What happened to the balance?

Edited to make sense

Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The unitary theory is the one supported by the plain language of the constitution. I still haven't heard a convincing counter-argument to that.
airmanfour
Member # 6111

The augmented powers granted to the Executive branch through the irresponsibility of Congress over the past hundred years or so was not provided for by the Constitution. Presidents have crossed the line numerous times thanks to the broad strokes that the words "Commander in Chief" were written with. But that's just my libertarian, strict constructionist, high school education, non-Law studying side coming out into the open.
Silkie
Member # 8853

The Federal Register is an interesting place. Thanks littlemissattitude. (LOVE your name!)

Dag, I don't see where Bush did more, either. I did find the 'dueling Executive Orders' content amusing ... EOs cancelling or modifying the previous admin's EOs.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.