FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your Linguistic Profile (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Your Linguistic Profile
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How do you pronounce 'car'?
This would be so much easier if I'd paid attention in linguistic anthropology. Um... with an ah as in ave maria.
quote:
So Harry and hairy sound the same?

Weird. [Razz]

Yes. You're the weird one. [Razz]
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rappin' Ronnie Reagan:
Huh. I have no idea how you're managing to get the a in cat in front of an r, 'cause it's not working for me. [/QB]

I know. It's a regional thing for sure. Like rivka said, listen to how the actors say the name "Harry" in Harry Potter. (especially think of Hermione exclaiming "Harry!" in exasperation.) It doesn't rhyme with hairy. That's similar to how some of us New Yawkuhs and other Northeasterners say the a in Barry/marry/carry. Although our r sound is different.

I don't really even have a NY accent anymore, so I probably don't sound so much like that in everyday conversation. But I can. And I certainly hear it.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Harry and hairy sound the same

Well that's just wrong. Although, once, when I was on the job, I heard one of the other nurses paging a doctor "Harry Busch". But she pronounced it "Hairy Bush". I managed to sputter out an inquiry as to what his specialty was. I would have fallen over laughing if it was OB/GYN.

It wasn't.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
RRR, do you pronounce the "r" in car? Or are you of the "pahk yaw cah in Hahvahd Yahd" school?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry, hairy, berry, Barry, airy, merry, Mary, and marry all definitely rhyme. I have been trying to say Barry with a short a for the last few minutes, and can't do it.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
RRR, do you pronounce the "r" in car? Or are you of the "pahk yaw cah in Hahvahd Yahd" school?

I do, and I guess the r changes the vowel sound in car slightly so it's not quite like the ah in ave, but that's the closest approximation I could think of. Or maybe the r doesn't change it. I've managed to confuse myself with all the vowel sounds now. I'm not really sure how I pronounce anything at all anymore. :P
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Clearly, we need to have another big Hatrack get-together.

That way, we can make ourselves nuts about pronunciation where everyone can hear us. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

If the "a" in car can be like that, why can't the "a" in Harry and Barry?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeni:
I have been trying to say Barry with a short a for the last few minutes, and can't do it.

Say "Hat"
Now, say "Hatty"
Now, say "Haddy"
Now, say "Haddy" without letting your tongue touch the top of your mouth.
Now do all that while allowing your lips to form the "r".

Did you do it?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Now rhyme "Barry" with that.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well that's just wrong. Although, once, when I was on the job, I heard one of the other nurses paging a doctor "Harry Busch". But she pronounced it "Hairy Bush". I managed to sputter out an inquiry as to what his specialty was. I would have fallen over laughing if it was OB/GYN.

It wasn't.

(That's how I would pronounce it... But on to my amusing name anecdote.)

My mom worked at a hospital once with a Dr. Richard Dick. His nickname as a child was Dicky. So he was Dr. Dicky Dick. His specialty was-- what else?-- urology.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

quote:
Clearly, we need to have another big Hatrack get-together.

That way, we can make ourselves nuts about pronunciation where everyone can hear us. [Big Grin]

Definitely.

quote:
If the "a" in car can be like that, why can't the "a" in Harry and Barry?
I think it's the double r. If I say just har or bar I use the same a as in car, but it just won't work with harry or barry.
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
You could try sticking a 'y' on the end of 'car' Like 'car-y' and then stick a 'b' or an 'h' in front.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

Tante - If I say it very, very slowly with the first and second syllables very disconnected - though even then it's very unnatural. I just can't combine them without it turning into something that rhymes with airy.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
You could try sticking a 'y' on the end of 'car' Like 'car-y' and then stick a 'b' or an 'h' in front.

Okay, I can pronounce that, but I don't think I'd recognize those pronunciations as being the words "harry" and "barry" if someone were to pronounce them that way. I don't remember ever hearing them pronounced that way. I thought that you all were saying that the a in barry and harry was like the a in cat, though. I use a completely different a in cat than I do in car.
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But then it sounds like Hari.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

I am in the same boat as RRR. I thought I was trying to use a short a, not a car type a.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

quote:

No, car has a different vowel sound. I can't really think of any simple one-syllable "ar" words that you can just add "ee" to and come up with the same sound. I still say listen to the Brits say "Harry" and that's pretty close.

But I could open up a whole other can of worms by mentioning the different pronunciation of, say, horrible. The "or" sound for NYers is the same as the ar in "car." For most of the rest of the country, the first syllable is the same as "whore."

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I've got a Sprint cell phone. I have free phone calls to any other Sprint cell phone. Give my your phone number, and I'll call you and say "Marry me Mary and make me merry!"
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't see the "marry" difference yet . . .

Mine:
50% General American English
25% Yankee
15% Dixie
5% Midwestern
5% Upper Midwestern

Right, Dad's German, Ma's a Carolina girl, and I first learned English from books and from living in Wisconsin.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could sing, Tante!

quote:
Mary Mack's Father's making Mary Mack marry me
My Father's making me marry Mary Mack
And I'm going tae marry Mary tae get Mary tae take care o' me
We'll all be makin' merry when I marry Mary Mack.

Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
But then I'd have to say, "I'm sorry but you've got the wrong number, Mary doesn't live here."

But if she did live here, she would pronounce her name just like merry.

Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

This is a neat site with sample clips from different dialects in the US. Sadly, merry, marry and Mary are not in the clip, but it's still fun.
EarlNMeyer-Flask
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for EarlNMeyer-Flask           Edit/Delete Post 
85% General American English
10% Upper Midwestern
5% Yankee

I'm from the west, and I watch a lot of tv and read books.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Amilia:
quote:
But then it sounds like Hari.
Precisely!
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Here's a site where you can listen to Mary, merry, and marry. (However, I don't think the "merry" one is going to be a distinct enough difference for those of you who aren't accustomed to it to hear the difference. I think you'll hear it in "marry," though.)

Turns out it also has the "horrible" pronunciation I mentioned.

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
You could try watching some clips from Harry Potter and try doing an immitation of how the actors pronounce the word 'Harry'. And then say it the same way but with a 'b' rather than a 'h'.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

I can hear the difference in marry and can even say it, but it doesn't sound anything like the a in cat or car.

I can't hear merry vs Mary though.

Edit: After about five more listens I can hear it, but I don't think I can duplicate it.

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

quote:
But I could open up a whole other can of worms by mentioning the different pronunciation of, say, horrible. The "or" sound for NYers is the same as the ar in "car." For most of the rest of the country, the first syllable is the same as "whore."
I pronounce it with ar from car, too.

I really need to get the sound fixed on my computer.

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

Okay, I switched to my computer that has sound. I can hear the differences between Mary, merry, and marry in those sound clips, but I don't think I can reproduce them. I say all of them like how the guy says merry, although on the page it says that in the US the other vowels have merged with the vowel from Mary. To me it sounds like the guy has some kind of twang when he says Mary, pushing the vowel toward the one in may.
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How do you pronounce 'car'?

Like this:

Cahhhrr.

*grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

quote:
Originally posted by Rappin' Ronnie Reagan:
Okay, I switched to my computer that has sound. I can hear the differences between Mary, merry, and marry in those sound clips, but I don't think I can reproduce them. I say all of them like how the guy says merry, although on the page it says that in the US the other vowels have merged with the vowel from Mary. To me it sounds like the guy has some kind of twang when he says Mary, pushing the vowel toward the one in may.

Yeah, he says it like May-ree. My pronunciation is probably more like Mair-ee (or mair-ree). Which is, I think, how most Americans pronounce the vowel sounds in all three of those words, and is probably how his "merry" sounds to you. *Shrugs* I find this stuff fascinating, and I can beat this dead horse forever, but when it comes down to it it's just a silly distraction! ;-)

I think our regional pronunciation differences have really lessened a great deal with TV and all, and I hope we don't lose them altogether. But I'm a prime example of how it happens; I left NY and my accent became pretty generic, although sometimes people still pick up traces of it. I didn't try to change my way of speaking, but I guess I just sort of unconsciously tried to sound like those around me.

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
RRR, I think rivka actually meant do you pronounce car as cah?

As in, "the crow cah'ed when the cah drove through the rotary. It was wicked cool! Hey, does anybody want to get some pizzer n' be-ah? Or do you want some tonic? Or maybe a sip from the bubblah?"

Jeni, I can hear the difference between marry and merry. The difference in Mary and marry I've only heard from the NYC area.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.