FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why did she laugh? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why did she laugh?
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a new printer and I was thinking of what could be the first thing I printed from it. Well, I decided to print the following:

quote:

I want a man who loves me and is willing to do anything for me, no matter what, when or where. That is what I want and what I am looking for. I will not settle for anything less.

I showed it to Deb (Nellie Bly), and she said, "You are going to die alone." She laughed and said to my other room mate, "Aren't I right?" The other girl, Sonya, said she would rather not say anything but she says that when she is siding with Deb and does not want to hurt my feelings.

I don't get it though, why did she laugh? I know that man is out there and I am going to find him no matter what. I actually found it mildly disrespectful and hurting that Deb would think that way, she really did mean what she said.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
It does seem a triffle, err, hyperbolic. But then, hyperbole and other literary devices are time-honored tricks when it comes to talking about romance, so that's hardly a flaw.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like she was making a joke meant to be a cut on men, not you. Though I don't really undertand the appeal of someone who would do anything, no matter what.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
She was probably feeling cynical about men. Or maybe it's because of the "no matter what, when, or where"?

A man who will do anything reasonable and necessary for your well-being, provided that you are willing to do the same for him, and that you both understand about communication, compromise, give-and-take and WORK in a relationship, is not a bad thing to aim for.

However, if you are looking for a slave for your every whim, that would give me a giggle, too!

So there's my take. Is Nellie Bly going to weigh in with what she really meant? I doubt she meant that she really believes you will never find anyone to be happy with, but rather that you need to make sure your expectations are realistic.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

- posted      Profile for clod   Email clod         Edit/Delete Post 
Who knows why people laugh? Subjectivity is a poor defense. We yawn when others yawn, laugh, when others laugh, and chomp when others choose to bite.

or sting.

or stink.

or string-along in a stinging stink-athon.

What matters is thus: I have the pen. You have the maw.

Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I want a man who loves me and is willing to do anything for me, no matter what, when or where
I see the funny in two parts:

1)Someone that obedient probably won't be someone that you can trust to make decisions for himself without your input.

2)If the union is to be equal, you would have to be equally obedient. Would you like being in a romantic relationship where total obedience is expected of you?

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

*kicks ladydove in the junk*
Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

*winces*

Eee! ooh! ahh!

*turns away*

0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I would do anything for love....but i wont do that.

-i always wondered what that was. SOmeone should really ask meatloaf some time.

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
estavares
Member # 7170

- posted      Profile for estavares   Email estavares         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see why you enjoy being a Queen on your other thread. *giggle*

Love is a two-way street, and such an expectation for your man to drop whatever he's doing to serve you will never happen. If he did, you'd never respect him. If you expect this, you'll never get it, but you CAN find someone who puts your welfare before anything else, and considers your feelings and opinion on many things. That's part of a loving, committed relationship.

Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 0range7Penguin:
I would do anything for love....but i wont do that.

-i always wondered what that was. SOmeone should really ask meatloaf some time.

I thought it had something to do with sharing his soda. At least, that's what television told me.

Anyways, I agree with others. If you find a guy who really WILL do anything for you no matter what, chances are you'll get bored. I mean, it's fun if when you say "jump" he says "how high," but if he's constantly catering to your every whim, you'll get sick of it.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to see how ugly things can get one one member of a relationship expects the other to do whatever they want, look at this:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0217062contract1.html??2

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If you find someone who will do anything for you no matter what, you will have either found a sociopath or someone who is so evil that they have in essence lost their soul.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

If I find someone who will unquestionably do whatever I say, I will probably send him to the store for feminie products more embarassing than tampons right before kicking him to the curb.

...I think that makes me a sadist.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

*rolls eyes*
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mean it literally, of course. I also want a man with enough brain cells to think for himself. What I mean with all that is that I basically want a man who would do anything to make me happy. I would do anything to make him happy too. With "anything" I mean within reason, of course. I don't want someone who literally would kill for me.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Well then you should have said that. [Razz]

quote:
I want a man who loves me and is willing to do anything for me, within reason. That is what I want and what I am looking for. I will not settle for anything less.
That seems very reasonable. I wish you well and good luck.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
What mph said.

(I think that's twice in a week I've agreed with mph...this could be trouble!)

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
I don't want someone who literally would kill for me.
I do. But I mean, not someone who would kill at my whim. And not someone who'd be some kind of creepy serial killer like, "Oh, he looked at you cross-eyed. And that other one, he called you a skank. So I ripped his throat out for you. Here, do you want a piece of his esophagus?" That would be bad.

-pH

clod
Member # 9084

*hands ersomniac a loaded pistol*

go on now! fire away!

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
<shoots clod in the face>

Much better.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

How sweet, erosomniac! You killed for me.

[Kiss]

-pH

clod
Member # 9084

*removes mask*

*smiles sweetly*

Ain't love grand?

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

[ROFL]
LadyDove
Member # 3000

*eyes dented junk- makes plans for next time clod's junk is exposed*
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Alt, I suspect it was the absence of anything like the words "within reason" that prompted her response. After all, as written, you're basically asking for a slave rather than a lover.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
Dieing alone is underrated.
Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I mean, not someone who would kill at my whim.
Why not? I don't see anything even remotely wrong with this. C'mon! NINJAS!? Fine, ass-kicking hottie ninjas? That's cool by me. Anyone who says otherwise is scared of power. [Razz]
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, mph, that document you linked to is hideous.

Oh my.

*shudders*

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks ever so much, imogen.

I had missed that before.

*goes to get chemically hosed*

[ February 21, 2006, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
quote:
But I mean, not someone who would kill at my whim.
Why not? I don't see anything even remotely wrong with this. C'mon! NINJAS!? Fine, ass-kicking hottie ninjas? That's cool by me. Anyone who says otherwise is scared of power. [Razz]
Pirates > Ninjas.

My first boyfriend after I went to college was a hottie jiu jitsu instructor. [Razz] They're SO overrated.

Now, swashbuckling hottie pirates...I could go for that.

-pH

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Pirates > ninjas. Old-school.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Not only that but pirates can burn CDs
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
quote:
I don't want someone who literally would kill for me.
I do. But I mean, not someone who would kill at my whim. And not someone who'd be some kind of creepy serial killer like, "Oh, he looked at you cross-eyed. And that other one, he called you a skank. So I ripped his throat out for you. Here, do you want a piece of his esophagus?" That would be bad.

-pH

Oh. Now she tells me. Gosh darn it!

*Hides piece of esophagus*

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
LadyDove, that was an excellent post, by the way.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's only because Johnny Depp hasn't done a ninja role yet. I'm still holding out.

Ninjas have the edge through greater mystery, hygiene, and bo-staff skills.
Pirates - pillage and plunder. Avast!
Ninjas - ...in your sleep.

Ninjas > Pirates.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
AoD,
You're setting pretty unrealistic expectations, not just on the guy, but on yourself. You've got a lot of growing up and a lot of losing your deperate need for attention before you would have the strength of character to really go along with your plan there.

---

Ninjas > pirates, unless said pirates have trained monkeys

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
The real question is, what are you willing to do for such a man? Honestly, the idea that you can just...find the kind of love you're describing (and here I'm including those words you omitted originally, 'within reason') is pretty naive.

That kind of love takes work, effort, and more than just looking. That you expect to just find it...well, it begs the question: do you deserve it? Why do you feel entitled to it from men in general, judging all by this standard you've made?

If you want to know how to find what you're looking for, see that you're worthy of it first, and then start looking for it and expecting it. I'm not saying that to pick on you, either. That's a standard I think everyone should live by: be a good, stable, independant person first.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
quote:
That's only because Johnny Depp hasn't done a ninja role yet. I'm still holding out.

Ninjas have the edge through greater mystery, hygiene, and bo-staff skills.
Pirates - pillage and plunder. Avast!
Ninjas - ...in your sleep.

Ninjas > Pirates.

Psh! Pirates were hotter than ninjas even before Johnny Depp. See also: Dread Pirate Roberts.

Oh yeah, baby. As I wish.

-pH

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

The Dread Pirate Roberts dressed as a ninja, not as a pirate. Being "The man in black" was part of what made him so cool.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

He was a pirate. There are no ninjas in the Princess Bride.

A swashbuckling, swordfighting, quick-witted, smokin' pirate.

-pH

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

He dressed all in black and concealed his face. He dind't have a beard, wooden leg, eye patch, squint, big hat, or annoying parrot. He looked as if he bathed regularly and didn't sleep with men after a long time at sea. Describe that to anyone and ask them to classify the person described as ninja and pirate and they're going to say "ninja".

There were no ninjas in the Princess Bride because the movie was already super awesome. Adding more awesomenss could have sent people into awesomeness overload and led to a messy cleanup. You'll notice that they also left out kick-ass trained monkeys, for much the same reason,

pH
Member # 1350

That is SO pirate-wear. Billowy sleeves and boots? Psh. Ninjas are NOT that cool.

-pH

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

His clothing is the glorius love-child of pirate garb and ninja garb.
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Would that be called "pinja" or "nirate"?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Ninjas >>>> Pirates >>>> all other occupations.

Anyone who disagrees will be persuaded by someone they'll never hear coming.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it that in stories the dude always has to kill the dragon and fight the witch and slay monsters and lose his eyes while the woman mostly sleeps?
That is hardly fair.
To me it seems just a bit pointless for me to think of an ideal man, I doubt there is such a thing, just men who are imperfect, fascinating and cute all at the same time.
Most annoyingly... I seem to get stuck with uncontrollable harping... it's so unexpected...
I hate it.. >.<
grrrr

But really it would be nice to have a guy who at least- loves music, if he doesn't share my beliefs, he will at least respect them and respect me and I'll do the same for him.

and I like Ninjas better because they have death stars, awesome swords and they take BATHS.
But, Johnny Depp would be one sexy Ninja. all running around with that mask and those eyes... ooo.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I would like to point out, for those who think all pirates shower once a year, that the Dread Pirate Roberts, while maintaining his roguish good looks, also probably bathes.

-pH

pH
Member # 1350

By the way, everyone knows that the pecking order is more like this:

Boba Fett > Pirates > Ninjas.

All who say otherwise are clearly in denial.

-pH

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and I like Ninjas better because they have death stars, awesome swords and they take BATHS.
I feel compelled to mention that Darth Vader had a Death Star. Ninjas have throwing stars, more commonly know as ninja stars. Which are also pretty sweet.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.