my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Happy

Author Topic: Happy
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a broad question, but are you?
I am not. I dont say this for sympathy, I just want to know who really is, why, and how or if it is even possible. I don't think contentment is a very succesful trait in natural selection, and I think that fact is demonstrated throught history and in the world today. The money people spend on entertainment and distraction from there lives is just one thing that suggests a general lack of contentment. Content people don't support our society, people seeking fulfillment are the economic backbone of the United States of America. In fact I think that if everyone in the world said "screw it, I don't need that makeup/TV/new suit,"they could quite eassily live comfortably using only there hands and there backs to provide for themselves.

The whole world seems to revolve different people trying to fill voids in themselves. Like they are hungary, or thirsty, but the food and water empty, or that there is nothing that fills so they injest everything that comes along....But, There is water, for thirst, food, for hunger, what then, for....Void?

Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty darn happy, actually.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think a lack of ambition is a prerequisite for happiness. I'm only 22, and I have any number of goals for where I want to be/what I want to do in a year/5 years/10/20. At the same time, I am pretty happy with my life and myself. I enjoy where I am, I enjoy my work, I enjoy my friends, family, and girlfriend. Would I like a better job? Yes, and I plan to find one. Would I like to be closer to my girlfriend (long distance relationship)? Yes, and I will be later.

Overall, though, I am pretty happy. I like myself. I think that is the key. You have to know who you are and appreciate who that is. Corny I know, but it's how I feel about it. I would be a lot less happy if I were content, in your definition of the word. Having no goals/nothing to work toward would make my life stagnant and unimportant, at least to me. That doesn't sound particularly fulfilling.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Your post seems to confuse several issues. Happiness does not mean eternal contentment. I think there is a difference between "happiness-in-the-moment" and "Happiness" as a general description of one's life.

For instance, I'm not particularly "happy" right this minute since I'm procrastinating a very dull task I have to do before lunch. And I have a ton of work to do after lunch, too. And I haven't lost any real weight despite going on my 11th week of working out every work-day morning.

However, if you ask "Are you Happy?", I'd have to say "Yes." I'm pretty happy. I have a nice house. It needs a lot of work, but I get to do things the way I want them as I fix it up. I have a decent job. It's not the most challenging, but it pays well (for me) and it's a job I can leave at the office when I go home. I'm rarely bothered by it in my off hours. I have a fantastic boyfriend. He's not perfect, (and neither am I) but he loves me and I love him. We have a lot of fun together, and even the not-so-fun things are fun when I do them with him. Am I content? Well, yes and no. I'm hungry right now. I wish I had fewer bills to pay. I wish I could shake off my procrastination. There are a lot of things I want to do before I die. But the things I think are of paramount importance I have, so my discontent really isn't all that important and certainly doesn't stop me from being Happy.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

Thats cool, I'm glad you all are happy. I guess, to contradict myself, I'm happy enough too, I function fairly well. I'm Working two jobs to save up for my daughter on the way (which honestly does make me happy when i think about her), and I do OK supporting myself (new at it).
I guess I'm just in the middle of an ovewhelming and stressfull time right now, and I can get to brooding. Too use prolixshores word, I guess I'm feeling stagnant as i try to swim upstream right now.

Now if I could just land that state job maybe I could get my feet on some sollid ground to start building that foundation I waited way too long put down. Reality can come as a slap to the face. Ah well, gotta start some time, even if it is with life holding a gun to your head and saying "GET MOVEING!".

Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I am happy, yes.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be happy in about 5 and 1/2 hours. I have a Final Board at 2:00 PM and I'm nervous as heck. It should last at most of 2 hours. Hopefully it'll be shorter.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
Being happy doesn't mean you're content with everything around you. It doesn't even have anything to do with the world around you. Something bad could be happening in your life, but you could still say your are happy. On the other hand, there are people who have nearly perfect lives but still say are unhappy.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
Being happy doesn't mean you're content with everything around you. It doesn't even have anything to do with the world around you. Something bad could be happening in your life, but you could still say your are happy. On the other hand, there are people who have nearly perfect lives but still say they are unhappy.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy. That doesn't mean everything around me is perfect, like Soara said.

I mean, I don't like the fact that I have cancer. But then again, I have excellent medical insurance, I have good doctors and nurses on my team, great family support and a good prognosis.

I don't like that my family is in the amount of debt it's in. But I'm happy that my husband has a good job and that we're paying it regularly and we'll be out of debt soon.

I don't like that I haven't finished a novel yet, even though it's one of my life goals, but then again I have the freedom to be able to pursue that goal and I have support from my husband and there's no reason why I can't do it someday.

Happiness isn't really about your circumstance, but in how you view and react to them.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy.

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oolung
Member # 8995

- posted      Profile for oolung   Email oolung         Edit/Delete Post 
I was happy three years ago. Now I'm constantly worrying about my future: job and everything, which makes me not-so-happy. but I still try hard and have short flashes of pure happiness from time to time, sometimes for quite long periods [Smile] Life's not bad at all and I look forward to see it better still.

Don't worry be happy [Smile]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ecstatic right now. Which isn't to say that some things don't suck, or I haven't had my feelings hurt lately, or there aren't some things about my life I'd really, really like to change.

But overall, I have this sort of glowy feeling at the moment, and I'm going to milk it for all its worth. My moods change at the drop of a hat, so I figure I should get everything I can out of them while I'm feeling them.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty happy. [Smile]

Yes, there are times when I'm less than thrilled with life, when I have to constantly remind myself what it is to BE happy...

But overall, I am a happy person!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Update for mine above. I am no longer happy....I am tremendously joyous (that does work right?). I passed my board. An' yes, I believe that your current surroundings and events do indeed impact happiness. At least for me it does. Probably because I have had to deal with so much stuff that's really depressing. However, I always try to give the impression of being happy, at work that is (since it takes most of my time).

It's hard, but it works. The only time I don't have to try hard is when it affects someone else. When someone else starts feeling better because my attitude (as much of a trick as it may be most of the time), I start to feel happy for real.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm doing alright. I've got my health, a great family, a good roommate, a wonderful boyfriend. I do well enough in school and will be graduating without debt.

I think the only thing holding me back from happy is my anxiety. My mom calls me an "old soul." I'm never the type to be goofy or let people laugh at/with me. It an unfortunate fact that I'm emotional and feel most like myself when I'm sad. Its something I'm working on. Being "happy" has never been a part of my life.

Maybe it just my own personal experience, but I don't think its events or environment that impact happiness. I think its all perspective. A well-adjusted person can be happy when things stay the same, when things change, when they win and when lose, etc.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I think some of the issue is "what is happy?"

I think too many americans have some artificial concept of "happy" as this blissful contentment where nothing ever gets you down etc, which I honestly don't think can really exist. I think this is also largely responsible for the amount of anti-depressants etc that this country in particular consumes.

am I "happy"? No, there are things about my life that I would definately like to improve. Am I "happy enough"? Sure, I don't really feel like jumping off a building, quitting my job, yelling at anyone etc...

As for the ambitious vs happy argument, I think String made a decent initial point in that the people who are very ambitious in the terms that society largely uses (i.e. working hard to get that new car, new tv etc...) are indeed generally amongst the unhappy as their goals are largely empty. This isn't to say that people who have ambitious life goals cannot be happy, in fact I'd say that happiness often depends on having at least some goals (I will own a house in 10 years, I will have my graduate degree in 3, I will become closer with my spouse, I will have 2 children if able...) but the emphasis on these goals needs to be the good end and/or the sense of accomplishment rather than material payoffs.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm usually a very happy person. But right now I have a really bad headache, and it won't go away. So, I am not a happy person right now.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

I know what your talking about Shanna, I get like that now and then too. I think you hit part of it right on the nose when you said perspective. The last time I got to fealing overwhelmed, I stopped and traced my thoughts back as close as I could to where i first let myself get in that mood. It was something small,cant remember what now (that small), but it really snowballed and put me in a bad mood for a good couple of hours. I stopped and toook control of my perspective and started fealing better right away.

By the way thanks everyone, for your thoughts on this. [Smile]

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, how do you guys define feeling "happy?" Because I don't think I really have a definition, at least, not one that I can put into words. Happy and content are definitely different, but they're not mutually exclusive.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I am and am not happy right now.

I have a great husband, and we have a great life.

Unfortunately I hate my job - and that that combined with the fact I am conscientious about my job makes me unhappy at times.

But we have a plan (worked out when I/we realised just how much I hated my job) so I know what I am doing now is necessary to my future. So even my unhappiness is kind of happy, because I know my life is great. I'm lucky.

So yes, I'm happy. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I am happy. In fact, I'm thrilled right now - everything is good.

I have a little bit of stress - I need to get a job in D.C., and I'm worried that I won't find one that I like. Or one at all, although my chances of getting one will rise expotentially if I actually send out more than one resume.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.