FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dorm Life

Author Topic: Dorm Life
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I haven't posted in a while (I haven't been lurking in a while either) so I'd be shocked if any of you remembered who I was, but that doesn't really matter.

I'm currently having a problem living on campus at the university I go to and I thought it would be interesting to, maybe, have us share the fun or bizarre happenings we've had living at college. My problem is probably going to sound like I'm whining, which I guess I am.

One night I accidently broke my bedroom door. It sounds a little crazy, but please keep in mind that the bedroom door is made up of two pieces of thin compressed wood separated by zig-zag'd strips of cardboard. My friends and I were horsing around and I ended up pushing the door to the point it broke.

I didn't actually think it would be a big deal. I assumed housing would come in and charge me what I would consider a ridiculously high fee for replacement - but I'd pay it since I'm responsible for breaking it.

Apparently it is a big deal and now I'm being 'charged' with vandalism and the possibility of my housing contract being canceled is on the table. I have an hour long administrative hearing about my vandalism on Thursday where I guess housing will decide whether or not I'm allowed to stay.

Am I the only one that sees this as over reacting? I've tried to explain that I am willing to pay for all damages and that it was truly an accident (I really have no desire to be without a bedroom door).

Anyway, do you guys have any terrible, or fun stories about living on campus?

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats just dumb Chung
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Go to the hearing, say it was an accident and you'll pay for damages and you should be fine.

This is probably not about you, but others in the past who have caused damages and not paid for them. The hearing is probably just the procedure they're forced to go through.

Unfortunately, you have to jump through hoops when these things happen. Jump through them, behave, own up and pay for the damages and I imagine all will be well.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Just to get a sense of context:

Were there any other complaints about your or your friends' behavior that night (e.g., noise complaints, or smoking/alcohol violations, or whatever)?

Do you or your friends have any history whatsoever of complaints on your records? Any prior warnings without complaints?

(I bet Belle is correct, as long as there is nothing else related going on, or nothing remotely similar has gone on before.)

--------

edited to add: Welcome back to Hatrack! [Smile] Hope this dorm issue works out okay for you.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the responses.

There were no complaints that night. We probably were being a little too loud, but nobody noticed.

I have one previous noise warning from the first week of last semester. It was rather rediculous. I looked outside and saw about 5 people sitting at a table talking (one of them was an RA, so I thought, hey I'll go introduce myself). I went down, said "hello" and talked for maybe five minutes and went back to my room. The next morning I received a noise warning.

I tried explaining what happened to housing over the noise warning, but they said it was the first time, so it was just a warning and, apparently, the details of warnings aren't considered important enough to reevaluate.

My friends have told me that I really shouldn't worry over it. And I guess I shouldn't - but the thought of being kicked out of housing and moving 2000 miles back home when I only have three months left to go is rather stressful.

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds so odd. Let us know how it works out, okay?
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Being kicked out of housing doesn't mean that you have to commute 2000 miles. It's not the end of the world, even if they do the worst they can to you. Which I can't imagine they will.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.