FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » AAAAAAH! Lost but found it again, anyone have stories about things they've lost?

Author Topic: AAAAAAH! Lost but found it again, anyone have stories about things they've lost?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
My Command and Conquer CD key for General's disappeared ack! I always keep a backup of ALL my keys and now its missing, how am I going to play C&C now? Ack.

*looks through backup cd's*

[ February 22, 2006, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

You know, this thread doesn't exactly do wonders for your reputation.

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I'm not asking for anything I'm just exclaiming, cuz I lose the original cases for everything.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Yeah I found my cd key! Hidden in my "random.txt" folder.
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
****being snarky****

So why would you think we would care?

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

*sigh*

Doesn't matter, just random chitchat since I can't do it elsewhere.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, posting an entire thread in CAPS no less is not really the appropriate medium for random chitchat.

The ability to do a thing does not make doing that thing necessary or worthwhile. For instance, most (I'd say an enormous majority) of Hatrackers prefer a thread to be about either something serious, or something non-serious but still funny. It doesn't even have to be funny, really, so long as people can participate meaningfully.

This wasn't really a serious subject, which is OK, but it was definitely not funny. In fact, there isn't a single person entertained by reading about it. Furthermore, there is no way anyone can participate in this discussion you've started except to focus entirely on you. Not really much fun for the rest of us.

That's not an insult. It's just a remark that you've posted a whole new thread about losing something, and in two-thirds of that thread, you're the speaker, and then you find the thing you lost. Where's the value? Where's the thing that people will be interested in hearing about?

For instance, you could have started a thread about losing things such as keys, CD keys, glasses, cell-phones, wallets, whatever. That's certainly not very exciting, but at least it gives people a chance to talk about it, and maybe tell funny stories about the crap they've lost and finding it.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, this is what I was talking about. This is a community. People talk with each other, argue with each other, and so on. Why can't you respect that? Why do you have to keep bombarding us and displaying your contempt for the community standards here? Is it just to prove that you can?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Good idea rakessh, I'll make it a thread about anything people have lost.
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
This is an excellent example on how to guide newer members (I know Blayne isn't that new, but this is still a good example!) on how to post properly at Hatrack. This thread has purpose now. And it's a pretty interesting topic. I hate losing things.

Although I never really "lose" anything... *ahem* I have to tell my husband that because he always accuses me of actually losing the things I can't find, like my wallet or my keys. I have to point out that they're not LOST, I just don't remember where I put them.... I'll find them eventually...

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

hehehehe
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
I always lose water bottles. This wouldn't matter if I was one of those people who buy bottled water because they like the "taste," or think it's somehow "better" for them, but I'm not. I buy bottled water solely for the bottle, and then keep on refilling it until I lose the bottle. This is usually anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks later. I think my record is 3 hours from buying the bottle to losing it.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Game manuals. I recently spent more than an hour ransacking my apartment for my Nevewinter Nights manual, only to find it about a week later in a place I'd already looked. >_<

Also, good thread redirection, Blayne. Nicely done. [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I misplace books and cds all the time. My room is kinda big and if I forget to put it back on a bookshelf it tends to get lost in the chaotic maelstrom that is the giant pile of clothes that infests my room.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Guitar picks. SIGH.

I also routinely misplace beanies.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xxsockeh
Member # 9186

- posted      Profile for xxsockeh   Email xxsockeh         Edit/Delete Post 
I lose quite literally everything.
Books, keys, cell phones, video games, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS stylus (I've had 5 total...now I have 2 left), school assignments, the list goes on. [Embarrassed]

Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Emma hid Jeff's keys for 2 months once. Then found them and re-hid them and we finally found them. He had to use mine for the duration. It was not fun.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I lose my sanity routinely. And anything I need to take with me on a road trip I misplace less than an hour before the departure time.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Emma hid Jeff's keys for 2 months once. Then found them and re-hid them and we finally found them. He had to use mine for the duration. It was not fun.
When you say things like this, I start wondering if there's any way to just give our baby a brain dump like in The Matrix so that he skips the crazy times.

Then I laugh and think, "What would be the fun in that? Part of what makes kids interesting is that they're crazy and unpredictable."

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Generally I lose anything thats not bolted down or not placed so obviousely in the open.
xxsockeh
Member # 9186

- posted      Profile for xxsockeh   Email xxsockeh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
I lose my sanity routinely. And anything I need to take with me on a road trip I misplace less than an hour before the departure time.

Oh yes, I forgot about losing my own sanitiy. Still haven't found it after 2 years... [Big Grin]
Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I once was lost, but now am found.

Was blind, but now I see.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Interest.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I once was lost, but now am found.
This the theme song for my keys.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I lost my keys so many times I finally caved in and put hooks on the wall next to my front door. Now if only I can consistently remember to hang them up...
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When you say things like this, I start wondering if there's any way to just give our baby a brain dump like in The Matrix so that he skips the crazy times.

Then I laugh and think, "What would be the fun in that? Part of what makes kids interesting is that they're crazy and unpredictable."

The really annoying part was that we had checked the couch thoroughly when they were first lost. They were not there. Emma sneakily found them again and two months later we were looking for something else, and there they were under the couch cushions-- right in front, like they'd been poked in by a little hand.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I lose hair elastics and hair pins all the time.

I think Tony steals them.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitsune
Member # 8290

- posted      Profile for Kitsune   Email Kitsune         Edit/Delete Post 
I've lost my debit card 6 times so far. Meep. And every single pair of sunglasses I've ever bought was lost. I basically buy disposable sunglasses now.
Posts: 147 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same problem with sunglasses. I usually buy them for a specific trip, then because I live in Seattle I don't wear them again until I'm going on a new trip, by which time they have disappeared completely. So I've never used a pair longer than a week or two before they were lost. Someday I'll probably find a huge stockpile of all my old sunglasses hidden somewhere 'safe' where I wouldn't forget them.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah. Sunglasses. I had a friend ask me once why I don't buy nicer sunglasses. I told him it's a direct result of my inability to keep up with the same pair for more than about 3 weeks. Hmm. 3 weeks seems to be my cut-off point for just about everything I lose.

BTW, When it comes to shopping for sunglasses, thrift stores are your friend.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.