FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help from knitters (possible mayfly)

Author Topic: Help from knitters (possible mayfly)
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working on a lacy knitting pattern and the directions say:
quote:

slip, slip, knit - slip next two stitches knitwise, one at a time, to right-hand needle. Insert tip of left-hand needle into fronts of these stitches, from left to right. Knit them together. One stitch has been decreased.

I do it over and over and I can't see any way that it is different than just knitting 2 stitches together. Am I missing something?

Also, does anyone know of a website or book that demonstrates circular knitting with double pointed needles? My last effort worked all right, but I definitely need some help.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

- posted      Profile for OlavMah   Email OlavMah         Edit/Delete Post 
Well... I *think* you're supposed to slip them with the yarn knit-wise, like it says, and then my instinct would be to purl them with the left needle. Otherwise, yeah, you're just knitting the two together in way too many steps. So, does that make sense? You insert the left needle in the fronts of them, bring the yarn around from the back, and then purl it through using the left needle. The result would be a twisty knit decrease. Or I could just be wrong [Smile]

Any book with sock patterns should show circular knitting with double pointed needles, as that is one of the most sensible ways to knit a sock.

Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.erica-lee.org/knit/ssk.html

I've used this stitch and made a left-slanting decrease (while knit to is a right slanting decrease).

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a decrease, but it slants the other way than knitting two together.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.