FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who else still FEELS like a newbie? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who else still FEELS like a newbie?
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like Farm Girl, kind of a has-been. I doubt many people here now remember me. I don't hang here much anymore, because my life doesn't have a lot of computer time built into it anymore. On the whole, that is a good thing.

Right now the wee ones are abed and the hubby is playing video games, so I thought I'd peek in on you guys. On the whole, though, I'm lost. [Big Grin]

I have the urge to whack people with sticks and grumble "Get off my lawn!" [Wink]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, sarcare, but I recognize you. I must admit, though, that I've never looked at your registration date before. I've always assumed you were one of those people who'd been here forever but mostly lurked and only posted every now and then, and that's why I didn't see you too often. I'm not sure where I got that impression, but that's the one I had. Anyway, you're a student, aren't you? Grad student, I think? Sorry if I'm completely off base. . . Anyway, since you are relatively new, welcome to hatrack. [Wink]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I recognized sarcare! [Big Grin] We hijacked a thread together, him and I. If I remember correctly it was something of a volatile one, so I thought of it as my good deed for the week or month or so.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Paul Mosher
Member # 9174

- posted      Profile for Jon Paul Mosher   Email Jon Paul Mosher         Edit/Delete Post 
me=noob

here at least

Posts: 18 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I recognized sarcare! [Big Grin] We hijacked a thread together, him and I.
*ahem*

She and I. [Smile]

Olivet, don't disappear completely, I keep wanting to hear the end of your story.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I too have recognized everyone on this thread. I tend to read a lot more than I most, though, so that's normal. I don't think of myself as a lurker, because I post at a fairly steady rate of 3 posts a day, but when most people's average is 20...

sacare- Like ElJay, I thought you were an old timer who mostly lurked.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
sacare, when I read your screenname I thought of Jacare, and thought you were another incarnation of him. [Big Grin]

Welcome! (again) [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on Hatrack since November of 2000, but I've never felt like I connected with the community much.

I think I'm more of an oldbie than a newbie, seeing as how I can no longer shake the feeling that I've seen it all here and am consequentially starting to fade. If I ever had a prime at all, I'm well past it.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by blacwolve:
sacare- Like ElJay, I thought you were an old timer who mostly lurked.

Me too, actually. You must give off an oldbie vibe or something. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm not a newb, then I'm a has-been who never was. [Razz]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
That is funny, maybe the oldie vibe has something to do with the fact that I'm more of an oldie on Nauvoo, and have only started coming over here lately. I am a bit flabergasted that people actually recognized me, besides JennaDean who I know from Nauvoo.
Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I recognized you, too, sarcare -- but, as Kwea pointed out, a lot of that had to do with the fact that when you first appeared, I thought you were an alt of Jacare's. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want Olivet, FG, or afr to fade away. And I want Olivet to finish her landmark.

I've never felt like a noob, even though I'm sure if I could reread my first 50 posts or so I'd probably change my mind about whether I was one or not. But, while I never felt like a newbie I also never really felt like a part of the community until I started to connect with people here on a more personal level, like around the time of my landmark.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
sarcare, I recognize you as well. But then, also from Nauvoo. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't feel like a newb.

I just feel like I keep stumbling into the middle of conversations that are being held amongst a closed circle of old friends. Sometimes, there is no penetrating that core group that tends to monopolize the board...

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, you still feel like a newbie? Huh. ::scratches head in puzzlement::

Sarcare, it seems that you've made a bigger impression than you had thought. I'm familiar with you too, although I'll admit that until this thread I hadn't been sure whether you were a man or a woman. A month or so ago when I was organizing a little get together in Columbus I referred to you as s/he in the various messages I sent about it.

For a long time I felt like I occupied a really good place here, in that pretty much everyone knew me, but I didn't have the misfortune of having become an icon, or even a pillar. I think that that moment has passed, though. A fair number of people still know me, but I don't think that I'm active enough anymore to really be that well known, at least by most of the newer members. I wouldn't say that I'm a has-been yet, but I'm probably moving toward obscurity. I expect that I'll enter a quiescent phase before too awfully long.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this thread proves we still have a lot of great people who are still integrating themselves into the fabric of hatrack. With all the talk about newbies not knowing how to act at hatrack, you would think it was all of them. But really, it's only a small handful of people who are treating this like a chatroom, with frequent disrespect and much less caring than is necessary. MOST of the newbies and the oldbies are still pretty cool people.

I'd like to thank mimsies for starting this thread to remind me (and I hope us all) of that little fact. [Smile]

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Narnia, you still feel like a newbie? Huh. ::scratches head in puzzlement::

Not new I suppose, but not "integrated into the fabric of hatrack" as Katarain so aptly put it. Just because I mostly lurk and post things in the fluff threads or the congrats threads. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
But you have friends off of here, you talk to us, livejournal, you are intergrated.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, I remeber you from before your mission, when you posted a thread asking for reading reccommendations. Someone suggested you read The Chronicles of Narnia, and I choked on my chocolate milk.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*giggles at Olivet* I remember that too. Tom was the one who pointed out the irony which made it even funnier. [Smile]

breyerchic: I see your point. I guess I think of it differently. My friendships that formed because of Hatrack are important to me, but because I don't have time (and am too insecure) to invest in thoughtful posts about what I really think, I stay out of the threads that seem to make up a lot of what people remember about Hatrack. Although...Begging the Question is rather legendary, isn't it? [Wink]

quote:
Narnia- I certainly don't think of you as a newbie. Your kindness to everybody is a contribution and is noticed.
Amanacer, I'm sorry I missed this before. Thank you. (And thanks JemmyGrove for the 'Amen.' [Smile] )
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:
quote:
I recognized sarcare! [Big Grin] We hijacked a thread together, him and I.
*ahem*

She and I. [Smile]

heh. Shows how much I know, newb that I am. hehe
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
Wowbagger, you're wrong on the score of no one knowing you. Well, not to say I know you know you, but I do remember you and your posts and I've commented - on at least a few occasions - that I love your screen name. [Big Grin]

His screen name extended out into the post, elegently, gently, and with a minimum of fuss.

"Are you Orincoro?"

"Yes"

"That's O-r-i-n-c-o-r-o"

"Yes"

"Your a witless prat, and a cad Orincoro"

"What?"

"don't give me that, you useless moron."

"WHAT???"

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Are you Orincoro?"

"Yes"

"That's O-r-i-n-c-o-r-o"

"Yes"

"Your a witless prat, and a cad Orincoro"

"What?"

"don't give me that, you useless moron."

"WHAT???"

[Confused]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sarcare:
After you said that you recognized everyone who had posted so far, I was wondering if I ought to post and ruin your track record. Well to be honest, I kind of wanted to be the one to post that you didn't recognize, it seemed appropriate somehow.

I recognize you, I have read posts of yours before.

You see, I usually lurk. I'm kinda shy and a loud moth at the same time... a quirky contradiction of my character I guess.

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not exactly a newbie, but definitely a lurker.
Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.