FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Eeeeeew!!!

Author Topic: Eeeeeew!!!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
So*, I went to open Emma's window to air out her room because of the acetone fumes that were coming down from upstairs where they're cleaning and re-doing the apartment that was just vacated. Her vertical hanging blinds have been shut the last few months because it's been so cold and that's the only way to keep our rooms livable-- to keep the windows and blinds shut all the time.

I've mentioned before the crappy quality of building materials our landlord apparently likes to use, and their poor installation. And I'll be the first one to admit that I'm not the world's greatest housekeeper. But that did not prepare me for what I found when I pulled back the shades:

There was black mold growing all over the windowsill! Eeeeew!!!

I mean, like I said, I'm no great housekeeper, but I've never in my life had black mold grow inside the house just because a room had the windows closed for a couple of months! Ick! So I got out the bleach to kill it. And lo and behold, it was also behind Emma's bed where the bed was blocking the light! Ick!

After a 10-minute bleach-scrubbing frenzy, the stuff is gone, and the window is open and light is on to make sure it dries thoroughly. But, really, that is not what I want to see when I go in my daughter's room. Ever again. Stupid crappy construction of the windows.

No wonder I've been having trouble breathing in there! Luckily, it hadn't spread to anything else yet, but I'll be washing all her clothes and sheets with vinegar. I wiped down that whole wall, the bed, and all the other furniture with bleach. I'm hoping that vanquishes the moldy enemy.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dick Button
Member # 9197

- posted      Profile for Dick Button   Email Dick Button         Edit/Delete Post 
Look at the slash-and-burn vitality!
Posts: 46 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
It's mildew. Moisture must be be getting in somehow (and in an apartment, I'm not surprised) and where condensation sits, mildew happens.

It's terrible in Portland during the winter when it's so wet and cold the whole season. My parents have terrible windows and it's a constant battle to keep the allergies at bay. Bleach will definitely do the trick.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Mold really, really sucks. Do you have single panes?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Stachybotrys [Eek!]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, romany, single panes. Narnia, I know mildew. We get mildew all the time. I saw a little mildew, but most of it was black mold. Different growth pattern.

Tante, it's not quite the same, but that looks scarily like what it looked like. [Angst]

We are moving out of here in August when our lease is up.

But maybe I should just call the health inspector and have the room tested. And if it's contaminated our landlord will have to pay to relocate us. (He'd hate that, evil cheapskate!)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.