FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Getting Older... :-(

Author Topic: Getting Older... :-(
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Im 21, yesterday.

I am now in my twenties. Twenty. Plus One. 21

I don't want to be grown up, and forced to havea job and get a life and all that. I want to be irresponsible and childish and lazy. I want my teenage years back, when I thought I was the MAN and didn't have any real ability to change anything, and was indignant about it. Now the responsibility rests somewhat heavier on my shoulders, and it isn't as fun as I thought it might be.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out...
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Hah. I'm a few days away from 17.

I *am* the man! [Razz]

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
... beats the alternative. :-)
Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
*rolls eyes* So what? Everyone grows up eventually. You can only hope to live a life that has more ups than downs, and more joy than loss. So get over it. You haven't even begun to live your life til' you turn 21, thats when you can start to do all of the good stuff. Party, go to college, have sex (with someone you love), and other great stuff.

So don't complain about missing your teenage years, you know that they weren't that easy.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You haven't even begun to live your life til' you turn 21, thats when you can start to do all of the good stuff. Party, go to college, have sex (with someone you love), and other great stuff.

How old are you again, Advent? Partying, college, and sex are not all the good stuff. And most people manage to do most of that before they turn 21. Turning 21 can be a difficult thing for some people. If you look at it as more than an opportunity to drink legally, the new responsibility can seem a bit overwhelming. The idea of being an adult, and therefore responsible for all your own actions (hopefully) without the excuse of age to fall back on can seem pretty depressing. I can empathize with you there, buddy.
But, dude. Now you can DRINK! Think of the sweetness that will ensue! Bars to conquer, women to impress, trees in other peoples yards to water, strangers bathrooms to befoul!

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I know the feeling Orin. When I turned 21 last year, I was very, very unhappy. I miss being 18.

Just feels like the beginning of the end to me.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
*feels bad posting*

I feel pretty old too. I'm a year away from being 2 decades old. That's crazy. I know I shouldn't be complaining, but 20 just sounds like I'm not a kid anymore.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee. I'm really old. [Frown]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was 20, I had my first child.

You're not old.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

You're not old.

Wow. Just. Wow.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
It's just a matter of attitudes, all you early-20s people who are worrying. I'm in my early 30s, and I'm still just as irresponsible as ever, so don't worry about it. You can be, too! I seriously had moments of still thinking I was 18 until I was at least 27. Now I'm settled in feeling around 22, which was a great age. With the proper balance of immaturity and luck, along with excellent role models, (thanks, Dad!) you can feel childish forever! [Big Grin]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Just think of it this way. Getting older is better than the alternative.

It's not something you can do anything about, unless you'd rather die. [Smile]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday.

And if you think you're getting old, well, you are. 1 year per year. It's an obvious truth, but one that took a while to register with me.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, your life can be as horrible as you want to make it. Ironically, fear of how horrible it COULD be is usually what drives most of us to make our lives as horrible as they are.

Don't be motivated by fear. Choose to be motivated by hope. Have another margarita.

That's my advice, anyway. Worth what you paid for it.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Twenty-one's been the best year of my life thus far.

I have no doubt twenty-two will be even better.

I do get scared, sometimes, about aging -- mostly about losing my mobility, the ability to depend on my body to do all the things I now do without thinking, to run and stretch and bend. But that ought to be a long way in the future yet, and baring an unfortunate accident should come on gradually. I assume I'll adapt. . .and that something I don't know about yet will compensate. Like the right to complain about how much better things were in my day [Smile] .

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking forward to turning twenty. I can't wait to tell people I am "twenty" rather than "nineteen".

I believe (probably irrationally, heh) that "twenty" has a lot more weight and human credibility than "nineteen".

I want to be taken seriously!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
*hits self in head* How could I forget that you can legally drink?! Oh well, and as for the being able to party and have sex before 21. Well, you can do alot more of both, and they can be WAY more fun with drinking involved (in the parties I mean, not in sex).
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah. Younguns. All they ever do is whine.
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Before I say anything else, happy birthday.

Now, I'm twenty. But I love being twenty. I think every year of my life has been better than the one before it.

Just wondering, what did you like about the inability to change things? The exact opposite of that is what I like about getting older.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

You're not old.

I turn 40 in less than two years.

I'm old.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
3.5 years before I'm 40. 40 isn't old. 80 is old.
Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wiggin
Member # 5020

- posted      Profile for The Wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
You'r not old untill your dead unless you want to be old. Me I plan to stay young watch stupid cartoons and goof off till the day I die. Well ofcorse with some responsable things thrown in. Unless I win big time in the lottery then I drop the responsable act. Guess I should actully buy some lotto tickets then.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Today I made play-doh. [Big Grin] For my five year old nephew who's here visiting, but still. I got to squish my hands in the warm dough, mixing in the coloring. [Big Grin] It was fun. [Razz]

Today, I'm five. [Smile]

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll soon be 37, and oh my . . . I didn't like squishy playdo when I was five, and I still don't . . . *grin*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Celaeno:
Before I say anything else, happy birthday.

Now, I'm twenty. But I love being twenty. I think every year of my life has been better than the one before it.

Just wondering, what did you like about the inability to change things? The exact opposite of that is what I like about getting older.

Well I didn't like that, per se, but now it doesn't seem so terribly bad. For instance, I wasn't liable for alot of my own mistakes, and now I really am, which is just frightening. basically I feel like an imposter, a sheep in wolve's clothing, and I don't know where I am in my little world- you know? I suppose we each feel a touch of this, but its nonetheless disconcerting to be getting older.

WAH WAH WAH [Cry]

Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
www.quarterlifecrisis.com

It exists! There are a lot of pressures on twentysomethings, and while different from the past, I think there is more urgency and competition to succeed than ever. It doesn't help that we are constantly reminded of the flailing economy/job market. I can't tell you how many people I know who are going to grad school because they are either afraid of making definite future decisions or conducting arduous job hunts.

You can still be lazy and childish after 20. You just need to be more selective about it. :-)

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
I turn 40 in less than two years.

I'm old.

I'm older.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
They Might Be Giants "Older" Lyrics
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband will always be older than me! So there!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But, dude. Now you can DRINK!
No, now he can drink LEGALLY IN PUBLIC.

Honestly, I completely understand being freaked out by the "real life" type things. I'm turning twenty-one in three weeks. For me, though, it's more like...I feel like I'm running out of time, maybe. I mean, I started in my field when I was sixteen, and while I impressed people plenty when they thought I was in my twenties, my age was a pretty nice ace up my sleeve.

Now, it's different because the card I wait to play is the specifics of my experience.

It's...weird. So yeah, I see where you're coming from.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
pH, I always thought you were older than I am. I turn twenty-two in September. Maybe it's because I've read about your experiences, and figured someone who's done so much would not be younger than I am. But I did know you were in college so it probably should have registered, since I'm in the older group of students at this point.

Orincoro, I know what you mean. I feel old often. in the responsibilities area. Though I don't have many of those at this point. It does bring the pessimist in me out.

Anyway, Happy Birthday. Enjoy.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I hated a lot of my teenage years, but I absolutely loved 19-23. 24 has been a bit of a rocky ride due to circumstances beyond my control, but 25 is shaping up to be pretty sweet.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
21 is not the best age. 25 is. Then your insurance goes down. That is unless you drive like Al Unser Jr.

I felt old today at work when I mentioned the old tv show "F Troop" an' nobody knew what it was.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
You ain't none of you old.

Now stop whining. [No No] [Wink]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
rofl.

I'm 18, sadly 2 years till 20. yup. 2 years...

And ya in Quebec the legal drinking age is widely considered just a suggestion.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'all make me feel so young!

Sweet sixteen and loving it, folks!

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be 35 in a week, my hubby is going to be 38 this year. We have a 16 month old baby. We stay up and play video games still. We watch all the Adult Swim cartoons religiously. We procratinate. We have a pile of dirty clothes on the floor frequently. We eat bad food. We quote movies at each other all the time. We're kids in adult clothing. The only thing that makes us different from our 20's selves is that we know when to pretend to be adults now at least. Like at work. Or when it's time to pay bills. You can fimd ways to stay young and be an adult. Honestly adulthood just sneaks up on you! Wait until you have a kid and hear yourself say things like your mother! Then you're going to feel old!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princesska
Member # 8954

- posted      Profile for Princesska           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Steev:
3.5 years before I'm 40. 40 isn't old. 80 is old.

"Old" is whatever you are, plus ten years.

As for myself, I am 22. I kinda live on my own and have made the decision to take time off from college and try my luck in the "real world", so that makes me feel old. If I still lived with my parents, I'm sure I'd still feel 17. And if I had a kid, I'm sure that would make me feel 30. So I don't think numerical age is so much the issue as what actually happened in your life.

That said, I don't mind the idea of becoming older, at least not physically. If I maintain my lifestyle of moderate physical activitiy (bicycling instead of driving, basically), there's no reason why I shouldn't see 40 or 50 in reasonably good shape. What bothers me more is what I'm going to do with my life between now and 50; that's... scary.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.