FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question for Navy Buff's Can a 1 mil$ cruise missile sink a Battleship?

Author Topic: Question for Navy Buff's Can a 1 mil$ cruise missile sink a Battleship?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
In Axis and Allies for as long as I have a sub and 2 planes I can sink it, but it begs the question in modern war Battleships are used as massive gun/missile platforms for shore bombardment, but they are nevertheless heavily armed and armoured and thus meant to duke it out with ships of similar size.

So, can a Battleship sustain the hit from a cruise missile and still be operational?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
The short answer is, 'it depends'. I would think a large ship such as a Carrier or Battleship could take some punishment before sinking, but a strike to the magazines or the like could probaly do it. It also depends on the cruise missile...conventional? Tactical Nuke? Payload size?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

conventional, not a nuke, if its a nuke then I think we're pretty screwed.
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
In reality? Battleships were demothballed back in The Persian Gulf War, then mothballed again. They have a wooden deck and double hull. They are old and decrepit, so a cruise missle could almost be over kill on a Battleship. Depending where the hit is, I'd say it could still sustain operations.

Aircraft Carrier...good luck to anyone that can get a cruise missile near one. It would damage it if (this is a HUGE if) a cruise missile were to hit. An Aircraft Carrier would definately be able to sustain operations after a hit.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Unless they use Sunburns. I forget but they wargamed it in "Red Storm Rising" they used a special bomber and a special kind of missile used in the Russian armed forces.
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if Sunburns were the problem.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
password
Member # 9105

- posted      Profile for password           Edit/Delete Post 
Now, in all fairness stan, that wooden deck covers 18 inch armor plate... they're actually quite sturdy, which is why they were demothballed.
Posts: 121 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
A single cruise missile would likely get shot down before it got anywhere near the carrier. Carriers have some pretty serious automated defense systems that involve high-caliber gatling-style guns. It would take a flight of several cruise missles approaching from all different angles to breach the defenses.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
password
Member # 9105

- posted      Profile for password           Edit/Delete Post 
well, there's also the picket ships and what not around... and these would be around a battleship (which is not without it's own point defense systems) as well.
Posts: 121 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.