FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Doogal, or "Even Jon Stewart can be made unfunny."

Author Topic: Doogal, or "Even Jon Stewart can be made unfunny."
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, Jon's just one of the many celebrity voices lending their talents to this re-dubbed UK cheapie by the Weinstein Company.

And trust me, they're the -only- talent associated with this flick.

The dub isn't even very good...character voices and mouths are often out of synch.

The film is about 57 hours long.

(Actually 85 minutes, but trust me...it'll feel longer)

It's not even fun in a cheesy, Sid & Marty Krofft/80s Nickelodeon Weekend Special sort of way.

Called "The Magic RoundAbout" in the UK, the film's plot concerns a maiden-voiced mutt named Doogal who loves sugar.

That's his sole personality trait.

There's also a snail who's in love with a cow (it's funny. Laugh. LAUGH, I said!), a cow who likes to sing, a bunny who sleeps a lot, and a farting train voiced by Chevy Chase.

Doogal frees a spring-bottomed, icy wizard named Zeebad (Stewart's character) from a magical merry-go-round...Zeebad immediately goes about collecting magical diamonds that will allow him to freeze the sun.

Oh, the little girl who owns Doogal gets frozen in the merry-go-round...this makes the dog feel vaguely guilty.

He and the misfits go off an tension-free quest, with lots of ugly animation and jokes that peter out or die a terrible death upon completion.

Judi Dench and Ian McKellan somehow got tricked into playing the Narrator and Zebedee, the "good" wizard.

Every 15 minutes there's a joke about defecation, gas-passing, and butts.

I don't mind lesser-quality animation so long as the rest of a production is top notch. Jay Ward's "Bullwinkle" was hardly a polished, PIXAR level production, yet few would argue it lacked quality.

This thing?

It's not even paint-by-numbers good.

And we have so many more cheaply-made, slapped together CGI toons on the way this year. Glee. [Grumble]

Edit: Apparently the original UK version of the film was based on a UK show that redubbed an old French children's cartoon with new dialogue, ala Woody Allen's film "What's Up, Tigerlily?"

That actually sounds pretty funny.

[ February 25, 2006, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, though, it's a travesty. The old series of the 'Magic Roundabout', narrated by Eric Thompson (father of Emma) was surreal, funny and wonderful, not only for kids, but adults too. It's a cult classic.

And it's spelt D-o-u-g-a-l. Honestly. I don't know what they were thinking. [Wall Bash]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
You have convinced me, I won't see it. Prolly just saved me 85 min of my life being wasted, thanks.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Yeah, reading the IMDB description of the TV series made me want to watch it.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Ohh, and Jay Ward is friggen genius!
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Okay, I just watched the trailer for the UK version of the film, and read the UK version quotes on the IMDB page.

Now I -really- feel cheated. It seems that version was actually watchable!

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

"Very well. Sam- BREAK OUT THE STICKS AND STONES!"

Now that's clever. [Big Grin]

Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a universal law that John Stewart is funny to inteligent listeners. Otherwise the whole universe would fall apart.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is a universal law that John Stewart is funny to inteligent listeners. Otherwise the whole universe would fall apart.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0829537/

There are a couple items in there that make me worry for the universe.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad that it looks like doogle will flop. I work on a matenence crew at a theater, and all potential blockbuster kids movies scare the crap out of me. Die doogal, die.
Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.