FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Roe v. Wade to be overtured in South Dakota (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Roe v. Wade to be overtured in South Dakota
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Theaca:
CT, I find it interesting that you say there is no medically defined partial birth abortion. I've read about the people that do it and and there seems to be a pretty consistent definition of it.

I looked it up and just in my first couple of searches I found a site that explains abortion laws in America. It defines partial birth abortion this way:

quote:
So-called "Partial-birth" abortion is performed in the second and third trimesters and entails (1) inducing a breech delivery with forceps, (2) delivering the legs, arms and torso only, (3) puncturing the back of the skull with scissors or a trochar, (4) inserting a suction curette into the skull, (4) suctioning the contents of the skull so as to collapse it, (5) completing the delivery.
http://members.aol.com/abtrbng/pbal.htm
Can you find it defined consistently in the medical literature, though? That's an AOL site, I believe.

I couldn't find medical literature consensus on the terms "partial birth abortion" or "addiction." Although the latter is used informally, it is not defined in the DSM-IV, for example.

[None of the OB/Gyns I know use the term, but I may well be mistaken. I wonder if the clarity of that term has been addressed by the College?]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

To update: PubMed seems to pull up legal articles on the term, not medical ones. There are a few medical texts cross-referenced, but none that I've found which use the term itself.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
To update: PubMed seems to pull up legal articles on the term, not medical ones. There are a few medical texts cross-referenced, but none that I've found which use the term itself.

partial birth abortion is not really a medical term. It is more of a description of the procedure. The medical term is "Intact dilation and extraction"

Its not that uncommon for medical procedures to get non medical names when talked about in the media, since many medical terms mean nothing to the average person.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Intrauterine Cranial Decompression is another word for the procedure, does that show up anywhere? Or intact D & E.

I can see that partial birth abortion can have many other more medical names, but it still sounds like the same procedure to me.

Here's something from ACOG that is against legislation against these type of abortions, and yet: "The policy statement notes that although a select panel convened by ACOG could identify no circumstances under which intact D&X would be the only option to protect the life or health of a woman"

I know I am taking this out of context, and yet, if THEY can't even think of a reason, then the necessity of the procedure must be very, very rare indeed.

http://www.acog.org/from_home/publications/press_releases/nr10-03-03.cfm

[ February 28, 2006, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Theaca ]

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Deleted because I have convinced myself that I am being markedly unhelpful to the conversation. My apologies! [Smile] ]

[ February 28, 2006, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to catch a pro-abortion OB on AIM for a couple questions, but she seems to have wandered off. Ah well.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
You can ask me, I am fairly well informed.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an article from Reason (libertarian web-mag) that I thought was very relevant, since we've been talking about both the SD case and the Federal case. I'm not much of a libertarian myself, but I think the article is dead on.

<edit> Oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure Roe v. Wade can't be "overtuned" by any state. Every time I see the thread title I want to say that. </edit>

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*bumpy goodness*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.