FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is there any disaster that could wipe out the human race? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is there any disaster that could wipe out the human race?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
Lyrhawn- Was that what it was for? I just remember it didn't turn out. At all.

Using spaced based lasers to shoot down ballistic missiles basically. It never went anywhere.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
And I know Reticulum. Wouldn't it be awsome!
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, humans are already causing a mass extinction now, so why prolong it?
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

It would Advent! Also, Lyrhawn; the laser missile thing is starting to get some back and get going. or at least, missile protection from space is.
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
We could be pretty screwed (and I mean SERIOUSLY screwed) if a really deadly and incurable disease like AIDS or ebola mutated into an airborne strain. Theoretically, such a thing is possible. However, the human race probably wouldn't go extinct. For any given infection there's some small percentage of the population who are immune just because they're lucky enough to have a random mutation in their genes. Those people would survive and repopulate the planet, and the new human race would inherit their immunity to the disease that wiped out the old.

Really, it could happen any time. It could begin tomorrow... But probably not.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

AIDS will eventually be cured. Ebola, would eventually be isolated. Notice anything similar about these diseases? Yes, they come from Africa; the hub for bad diseases.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reticulum:
Are there any stars that will go supernova soon? Negatory according to what I've read.

Well, that settles that, then.

quote:
How do you create a black hole without destroying the Earth first? That kind of technology won't be around for a very long time.
Excuse me, but thou speakest nonsense. The LHC will create perfectly good black holes, they'll just be so small that they'll disappear in a flash of Hawking radiation. You just need to scale that technology up a bit.

quote:
An asteroid would have to be so unimaginably gigantic to destroy the sun, or even make a change, I think we would detect it.
Wrong. It just needs to be going rather fast. A few million tons should do it, if you fling it at something close to c. You'd be able to see the flare on Alpha Centauri; it would wipe out anything on Earth with a central nervous system. So you'd be ok.

quote:
Knock the moon out of orbit with a rocket? That would have to be a VERY powerful rocket.
Gosh, do you really think so? I notice you didn't mention the Really Big Bomb.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, evidence suggests that the human race started in Africa too.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

[ROFL]

Neo, that was one of the funniest things I have heard in a very long time.

Ah yes, and King. As for the Black hole, thatis really what I meant. It really will be quite a while before we can create a sizeable black hole. First we could not put it on Earth, as it would destroy it; second, it would take a time to get the instruments to where you would vreate it.

About the Asteroids, you are absolutley right there.

As for the rocket, well, I don't think a rocket that big and powerful COULD be constructed.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Reticulum:
It would Advent! Also, Lyrhawn; the laser missile thing is starting to get some back and get going. or at least, missile protection from space is.

To what are you referring?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
First we could not put it on Earth, as it would destroy it
Yes. And the thread was about how you could destroy the human race. So your point is...?

quote:
As for the rocket, well, I don't think a rocket that big and powerful COULD be constructed.
That is because you are not thinking clearly. You just need to accelerate stuff to the Moon's escape velocity, which is not so much as all that - 1.47 miles per second, which indeed is within the range of high-end rifles. Then you just shoot bits of Moon in the right direction. It doesn't have to be done all at once.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
A sufficiently large body colliding with earth would do it. And we know there are such bodies.

I hadn't thought of the sun collision, but that would do it too.

So would another "Sweatin' to the Oldies" video by Richard Simmons.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Oh, you're good King. But I suppose you are right. I tip my hat to you.

[Hat]

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
A Near Earth Orbit simulator from NASA.

It's sobering to see a list of 774 "Potentially Hazardous Asteroids" as NASA terms them.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
This is SO the end of the world...

quote:

Like that time, eh, chaps?
Righto.

quote:

But I'm le tired.
Well, have a nap. Then fire ze missiles!

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
It's " 'bout that time, eh, chaps?" for a start.

Reticulum, your age is really, really, really showing in this thread. [Wink] Really. Why don't you just tell everyone?

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, not if it was done right, you big baby. [Wink]
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Hawking once noted that the odds of an asteroid large enough to destroy the human race, actually striking the earth is small, but not miniscule. We can develop destructive technologies that would be able to destroy such inbound asteroids. However the odds that some human would abuse that system, and turn it down upon earth, is much greater than the odds that we would be hit by an asteroid. Hence Not building space defences is actually better for our survival.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However the odds that some human would abuse that system, and turn it down upon earth, is much greater than the odds that we would be hit by an asteroid.
Brought to you by the Comittee of Pulling Numbers Out Of Our ****/Ear.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Right, but we can deflect asteroids instead of destroying them. I suspect that turning the solar sail method of deflection against another group of humans would be inconvenient. Sure, we could aim an asteroid at earth, but I doubt our control is good enough to hit the countries we don't like and avoid countries we do.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
Right, but we can deflect asteroids instead of destroying them. I suspect that turning the solar sail method of deflection against another group of humans would be inconvenient. Sure, we could aim an asteroid at earth, but I doubt our control is good enough to hit the countries we don't like and avoid countries we do.

Assuming we ever could get such a system in place, that is, attaching solar sails to an asteroid, it would have to be done very, very far away from the planet for it to have any actual impact on the asteroid's path.

Also keep in mind that for an asteroid to be small enough to destroy a city or country and NOT be big enough to have globally devastating effects is a tricky equation. Anything bigger than something that could blow up Orange County is going to have lasting effects on the world at large. But anything that small is going to be extremely hard to land solar sails on, and to control, as, being that small it will move much more dramatically than an asteroid seven miles wide would.

But assuming we COULD land solar sails on a tiny asteroid way out in the middle of nowhere and direct it towards a specific city or country, we could defintely tell you where it was going to hit, or at least with a fair degree of accuracy. The problem would be refining some sort of guidance system that would translate commands into movements of the solar sail that would direct the course of the asteroid along a desired path.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
The notion that we are at any level approaching the ability to even detect incoming asteroids is actually ludicrous.

The truth is that there are millions of asteroids in the sky, and all move in unpredictable ways. There are countless asteroids passing near the Earth, which we never see or hear about. The common perception of modern astronomy treats the everyday life of the astronomer like it does the photographer for National Geographic, finely dileniated and backlit stereo imaged views of glistening comets and rudy asteroids, with helpfully intuitive computer mapping software that can exactly predict the movements of extraterestrial objects over long spans of time, ala "Deep Impact."

The real world is hardly so exciting, and in fact for all the know large asteroids in the solar system, astronomers predict the existance of millions more, numbers impossible to gauge, with lives impossible to track.

So anyway, all these gaget ideas are nice, but the actual likelihood of even detecting the asteroid is pretty small, despite what you'd like to believe.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread reminded me: I felt my Very First Earthquake this Friday.

It felt like a subway train going underneath me, but it wasn't because I was home in Suburbia where there are no subways.

I think I like my earthquakes small and rumbly, and they can stay that way, if you don't mind.

And I think the world can be destroyed in a number of ways, but I think that if it happens it's going to be a numerous factors combined, such as war + environment + disease that do us in.

Barring the "asplosion" of the sun [Wink] and a major asteroid, we're not going to go out in one fell swoop, rather in increments, like slices of salami.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read the whole thread, but has there been a differentiation between a disaster which would destroy Earth (thereby wiping out the human race) and a disaster which would simply wipe out the human race and leave Earth inhabitable?
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Just leave Humans gone. Asertoids could probably do it, though I bet they couldn't destroy us COMPLETELY.
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely agree that a single calamity would have to be inconceivable awful to do the trick. However, that would then imply humans would live inifinitely (unless we can't in 5 billion years figure out a way to get away from the Sun, but I have faith in us. we're wily creatures).

If humans live infinitely, then there is the possibility, which is practically zero, yet still exists, of all forms of catastrophes occuring at once: a deadly disease, a nuclear war, a few asteroids, a major volcano, a drastic climate shift.

Funny how easy it is for me to think morbidly when I have overdue work...

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Yes, 'tis the downfall of man...
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
1) A population of humans could evolve into a more advanced species that would then systematically eradicate us inferior homo sapiens sapiens.

1a) Or, more happily, we could just evolve, live peacefully, and Humans would quietly fade away.

2) The hole in the ozone layer could widen dramatically, allowing in far more radiation and dramatically increasing mutation rates in viruses. The fall of man, and animal life on this planet, is heralded in by a disease with unprecedented adaptive ability.

3) Vogons, the Empire, Martians, the Machines, take your pick. Oh, or all the clowns finally get together and decide they've been laughed at too long, and the bastards are going down. Some kind of massive murder-suicide pact.

4) Simultaneous spontaneous combustion.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Advent 115:
quote:
Originally posted by String:
The only danger to the human race is global warming. We should start to counter it now by sending the world into nuclear winter to balance things out.

*edited because i forgot how to spell to

Umm, you do know that would kill almost all Earthly life. Right? [Confused]
Yeah, i thought this was a joke thread [Taunt]
I heard on CNN today that the ninja were going to attack the lumberjacks. Bad enough by itself, I got really scared when i found out the pirates were helping the ninja, and the long time allies of the lumberjacks, the vikings, are sitting this one out.

I don't think I need to tell you that if the lumberjacks are taken out of the game, our economy will collapse. Plus, we ww'll have o clean up after ourselves with leaves and pine-cones. [Angst]

[ February 27, 2006, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: String ]

Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone knows the all human life will end in the year 2147, when Steve, a failed genetic engineer turned exterminator creates a virus that wipes out all cockroaches. The surprising offshoot we find out; cockroach dung had actually been keeping mildew in check for millions of years and without it we can find no way to stop the mildew, which promptly wipes out the entire food supply. [Big Grin]
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Where did you come up with this?
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Just doing my impression of douglas adams.
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

According to the Mayans, we're all supposed to go out on December 21 or 23, 2012...
Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
And they have credibility! [Wink]
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

It's all pish-posh.
Kristen
Member # 9200

Well, to their credit, they are the only culture I know of with the long-sightedness/gumption/arrogance to actually pick a date, although they did not choose to enlighten us on the specifics.

That being said, I don't forsee myself hanging out in a bunker in the middle of a deserted corn field come 6 years from now...;-)

Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
When the reavers come, you can't say the Mayans didn't warn you.
Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I can, but I can't say they weren't right.

Wait, did that make sense? [Confused]

Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
No.

Aaaaaaaahhhh Motherland!

Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
In all seriousness, a few scenarios have been posited in which the entire galaxy could be destroyed.

Possibly the more famous is the scenario posited by Larry Niven 30 years ago: that we're living in a Seyfert Galaxy, and when the core explodes, that's it for life in the Milky Way.

More recent speculation has centered around the idea of Gamma Ray Burst, which have been blamed for the Ordovician mass extinction.

Either way I wouldn't worry about it too much. You'll never get out of this life alive. [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Althai
Member # 9275

- posted      Profile for Althai           Edit/Delete Post 
There's always the buggers. Or worse, the descolada. [Wink]

David

Posts: 29 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Althai
Member # 9275

- posted      Profile for Althai           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
More recent speculation has centered around the idea of Gamma Ray Burst, which have been blamed for the Ordovician mass extinction.
As I read that article, the posited cause of extinction was the depletion of the ozone layer due to the GRB. So we would probably be ok - we might have to grow our food in greenhouses, and spend much of our lives indoors or slathered with SPF 500 sunblock, and would probably lose a lot of people to starvation, but the human race would survive.

As for a core explosion, we could always eject the solar system from the milky way, and send it through intergalactic space. [Smile]

David

Posts: 29 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.