FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "The Raven" Song Update

Author Topic: "The Raven" Song Update
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Well after a few weeks of stress, my Piano and Tenor setting of "The Raven" will be performed (woot) in a university concert at UCD!

The song is one of 15 or so to be played by student performers. This is the text I settled on, and if anyone can tell me how, I will record the performance with my ipod and link it here to show of [Wink]

I broke down a few different stanzas of Poe's original text, and arranged the phrasing to fit with a romantic song texture. Here's the text:

Ah distinctly I remember, it was in the bleak December
Each seperate dying ember, wrought it's ghost upon the floor.

Eagerly I wished the morrow, vainly I had sought to borrow
From my books, surcease in sorrow, sorrow for the lost lenor

For the rare and radient maiden, whom the angels named lenor,
Nameless, nameless, nameless here forever more

And my soul from out that sorrow, shall be lifted nevermore

I think Poe's phrasing is absolutely wonderful for a song setting, and I had alot of interesting ideas to choose from when it came to word repititions, "lenor" "nameless" and variations of "nevermore, evermore," etc.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I am of absolutely no help in getting your performance recorded and uploaded, but I'd love to listen to it if you do! Love the text.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

just the uploading part, I have a belkin recorder, and can make mp3s, its the posting it thing I don't know how to manage.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the Reading Out Loud club we use to have (I just bumped it as well), I know we tried to use Yahoo to post some things. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Lewis
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for Rich Lewis   Email Rich Lewis         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a group called "Devilled Ham" that did a version of The Raven. Very odd.
Posts: 32 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've also posted files successfully with sendmefile.com. No limits on downloads, and I've never had a problem keeping an mp3 within the upload limit.

But, hmmm, it seems to be down right now. I'll check it again later...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

looks like a winner, I'll upload after the performance Friday
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
I just hope you don't get sued by Alan Parsons. [Razz]
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.